on 1 June 2011
A stunning read from cover to cover.

Not a 'how to' book, but a more a 'why we do it'.

Jon goes into details of his personal life that many of us wouldn't dare to write.
Its a very private account of friendships and the love of both fishing and the places he fishes.
The journey is a long and difficult one, and one I suspect isn't over just yet......

A book that is well worth adding to your collection.
on 3 April 2012
I imagine we all have our favourites and feel we know what we like to find in our fishing literature. I cannot say that this book fitted my ideals but I would have to admit that it was not easy to put down. This smacks of obsession and much of the central and other characters seem to bear some of the scars of obsession. As do many anglers at some point in the pursuit of their passion. And that's what its all about in the end, a personal journey through life and the role of the 'angler' character in that life. The fact that the quarry of this story dwells in deep, dark and cold water somehow fits like mist in the mountains. The determination required to accomplish what they set out to achieve is somehow matched by the sombre and bleak environments described. There was no casual way to get the fish they sought. This is the story of a struggle, in powerful settings, for an elusive and little understood but potentially giant fish. What more could you want?
on 2 May 2014
I used to read books a lot, fish quite a bit. Along came the Internet and family , so the former took a back seat to the latter. I downloaded this book because of my fascination with ferox. It is not a guide to fishing, but a insight to obsession at its best and a fisherman's guide to where to fish. I now feel inspired to get back to reading and be more adventurous with my fishing. I was disappointed as it ended abruptly and too quickly which I suppose is a good sign. Defo recommend it
on 5 June 2013
Inspiring book, many fishermen now take the easy option (chuck out boilies, set bit alarms and fall sleep, eventually carp comes along etc. etc.), the authors choice is a less trodden path, more of a quest, in search of a specific species. Certainly inspired me to look at other waters and get back to 'real' fishing- avoiding the superficial world of the commercial fishery.
Well written, easy going read with some beautiful photographs.
on 12 September 2011
Beneath The Black Water by Jon Berry is more than a Fishing Book, it's a journey of the authors life.

An insight into why some men/women have the desire to put all normal things of life aside in the pursuit of a dream.

In this case it was too catch the Ferox Trout, but it could just as easily be, too climb mountains or go around the the world in a sailing boat.

Excellent read, I could not put the book down !!

Chubman
on 22 January 2015
A brilliant angling book, which can be enjoyed by non-anglers too. It deserves a place on the bookself beside Luke Jennings' "Blood Knots", Grey of Fallodon's "Fly Fishing" and Izaak Walton. Lyrical descriptions of Scotland complement a learned account of the author's preferred quarry, the Great Lake Trout, Ferox, which might be a separate species or sibsecpies of Salmo trutta.
on 19 December 2012
He gets pretty close to capturing the borderline insanity that is Ferox fishing. Its an interesting though casual read into Ferox fishing. There is little tome spent on the methods and theories surrounding Ferox, the book primarily deals with the experience of fishing for them.
on 20 December 2011
This is a very well written book. You do not have to be an angler to enjoy it, but it does help. Jon Berry can express his feelings on the page so well you will be with him on this obsessive journey in search of a rarely seen or caught fish. I heartily recommend this book.
on 16 June 2014
Few books on the subject for the last of the really WILD fish in the UK.

Well written

I have fished all over North Scotland and the author Jon Berry paints a great picture of what it is like.- - - - the last wilderness in the UK.
on 18 January 2014
A really good read for any angler and a bit different from a lot of other angling books.Im not a coarse or game angler,just sea fishing for me but I still really enjoyed it.Similar in style of writing to the brilliant Chris Yates books