Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 January 2005
What great memories this book brought although my train spotting days were a started as the authors ended. The Tizer, fruit pies and egg sandwiches were certainly universal for boys of that era and the feel of 1950s and 1960s England is authentic. This is a good read for anyone - it was the media who made the train spotter a joke character - most people in the 1960s were genuinely interested in our exploits and travels.
on 6 December 2009
Book was purchased for a train mad husband and it brought back many memories of his trainspotting days in the 60s.
on 12 March 2010
I bough this for my GWR steam train mad Dad for Chritsmas. He said it was the best book he has read in years! It bought back so many memories and stories from his youth stood by the tracks at Reading with his notebook. A real must for any other anoraks out there!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 June 2011
A book full of nostalgia for a bygone age. The adventures are written in a matter of fact way and that is how most people I remember lived, there was no great deal made of anything and even humorous events, although funny at the time, were treated in the same manner. He travelled quite widely, even getting as far as Wick and Thurso, from his home in Portsmouth although most of the journeys didn't go as far. Great use was made of cheap day excursion tickets and workers tickets now gone but great bargains for regular travellers. The journeys were made during the steam era with diesels creeping in towards the end. The photo's are not bad considering the equipment he had and there's a very good one of Lostock Hall which I remember very well as I lived very close to it and indeed at one time worked opposite.If you want a memory jogger this book is for you.
on 18 January 2015
lovely book. It will win no literary award, but it is one person's recollection of train spotting after all, and describes a time in our lives that many of us will fondly remember. Each chapter reminded me of so much I had forgotten. The hours spent on platforms with like-minded chums, visits to engine sheds. I admire the author for his meticulous record keeping. Mine was little more than Ian Allen books with spotts underlined. Sadly even that did not survive the years spent at university. When my student days were over I returned home to find all of my boy scout and train spotting ephemera thrown away by my parents. Hence my enjoyment in also reading the train spotter diaries by the same author. These diaries also become the diaries of so many of us whose records did not survive.

It was sad reading the last chapters describing the destruction of the old engine sheds. But perhaps the author was lucky to live in a location where those beautiful old railway stations survived. I didn't, and all of those beautiful buildings I knew have gone. After retirement I spent 4 years as a consultant in Italy, and rejoiced in the survival of their old stations, painted yellow or pink, looking as beautiful as the day they were built.

I notice that Craven Arms station in South Shropshire was on the authors list of visits, and I offer him these words from "A Shropshire lad":

Into my heart an air that kills from yon far country blows
What are those blue rembered hills, what spires, what farms are those
That is the land of lost content, I see it shining plain
The happy highways where I went, and cannot come again
on 16 December 2010
I am an ex railwayman still with an avid interest in steam locomotives and I found this book brought back happy memories to be enjoyed.
on 9 July 2010
This book describes what it was like being a trainspotter in the 1950s , and gives examples of the antics trainspotters got up to.
on 19 April 2011
I did my shed bashing in diesel days of the seventies and was looking forward to this. However at risk of being the fly in the soup I found `Forget the Anorak' rather err.. forgettable. Though I can understand that for gentleman of a certain age it wreaks of nostalgia, especially those who haven't been near a steam loco in 50 years.

The writing style is so monotonous and unimaginative, and the tales so repetitive with hardly a simile or metaphor to be found. Each chapter becomes an all too familiar tale of `we went here, saw these and came home'. Even their jolly japes are rendered humdrum by the writing. And you don't need an exclamation mark at the end of every other sentence!!
on 11 August 2011
i can relate to a lot of the stuff in this book, as i lived in a similar world. There are a few inaccuracies, for example he states that he and his pals walked from Swansea to Llanelli, i doubt it!.....also he recalls seeing kings and britannias at Cardiff at the same time. I,m sure the kings replaced the brits, so it,s unlikely...Also he reckons he was hauled to Swansea by a king....again the kings didn,t work west of cardiff
on 20 December 2012
A great read. It took me back to my trainspotting days on the waterloo to exeter line. Can we not have more?