Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 2 June 2011
I was aged six in 1950 and so much of what is written in this book, was part of my life. Despite pundits who try to tell those of us who grew up [or possibly not!] in the 1950's and 1960's, that life was no better then than now, I/we know better, it was much, much better!

The author can be congratulated for having included so much of our lives during that decade. It was a pleasure when wondering whether he would remember every little thing, for the most part, he did. What he did miss and I hope that he will forgive me, I set out here:

Ch.1 - I remember the horrible cod liver oil by the teaspoon full but also the wonderful product: Malt.

Food and Drink - it was the fashion to boil vegetables, particularly Greens until they contained little in the way of goodness. But salad stuff tasted better than the forced and much travelled stuff of today.

Healthcare - our young lifestyles kept us fit, but dentists, who were paid virtually on a 'piecework' basis, drilled and filled our teeth [sweet things were hard to come by] without good clinical reason on many occasions.

Radio/TV - one very popular song was Terry Scott's 'My Bruvver' - still very funny.

Childrens Hour - the magical voices of David Davies [Larry the Lamb etc].

Games and Hobbies - 'Catch a TIGER by his tale'. I don't think so!

School Holidays - the last day before the summer term, when you were allowed to bring board games etc, to school.

An excellent read.
33 comments|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 March 2010
This book invoked so many memories of a blissful type of growing-up compared to these more frenetic times where children don't enjoy adolescence because they are urged to grow up before being really ready for it. It makes you recall how gentle it all seemed, probably a hint of looking through rose-tinted glasses, but we grew up more or less able to cope with what life could throw at us. And no stress counsellors! Highly recommended for those who want to revisit their youth, a very good read.
11 comment|122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 May 2010
As a school friend remarked - "it was like someone had been looking over my shoulder". There were some memorable recollections which were revived in this book - some of which hadn't been thought about for many, many years.
I think it should be required reading for all children and grandchildren of those of my generation who grew up in the 1950's when everything was so much simpler.
on 18 February 2010
This is one of the most fantastic books that i have read . It has transported me back to my childhood and bought back so many memories. I even purchased two more and gave them to my sisters as presents.

Really Really great
11 comment|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 December 2009
Bought this for my sister. It will bring back memories and make us laugh at some of the things we used to do. Arrived on time and in excellent condition.
on 19 July 2010
A most enjoyable read, a revisit of many things familiar to growing up in the UK in this decade and a springboard to writing down one's own memories of childhood.
on 21 October 2009
Excellent and well written. I can relate to more than 90% of contents and it brings back long lost memories of my childhood.
on 5 March 2010
I just loved this book. It took me right back to my childhood.....wallowed in nostalgia!!!!
on 5 May 2011
Purchased this for my mum, she loved it as it brought back so many memories from her childhood. My dad heard us talking about it so he 'borrowed' her kindle to read it himself!
on 29 September 2011
As a person who spent their childhood in the 50's I bought this book (kindle version)expecting to read interesting tales of home and school life bringing back forgotten memories of happier days. Unfortunately although, as some readers have pointed out, there are some interesting memories and parallels to ones own upbringing, the book did contain many long lists of 50's items, games, records, TV programmes, films and filmstars of the 50's. To be honest this was a disppointing read and soon became boring and tedious. It was such a shame as it had the basis of a good read let down by lack of imagination to make it interseting.