5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Vienna

Published on 11 Sept. 2009 by Gjdavis

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad!
Bought this as am interested in WWII novels but the book is very slow and seems to drag on, considering the period of history it is describing it isnt very exciting
Published on 2 Jan. 2013 by Catherine Anne

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Vienna, 11 Sept. 2009
Gjdavis (uk) - See all my reviews
Goodnight Vienna: A Novel of World War Two

As I was looking forward to the book, I've not been disappointed. Goodnight Vienna is a compelling yet compassionate read, which takes the reader through the streets of Nazi-occupied Vienna in a way only an expert could. The main characters are rounded and well developed and the story unfolds in measured but exciting steps.
The horrors of the Nazi concentration camps are recalled with great dignity and insight.
I'm looking forward to J.H.Schryer's next book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad!, 2 Jan. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Vienna - I couldn't put it down!, 2 Sept. 2009
K. Davy (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Vienna: A Novel of World War Two (Paperback)
I would highly recommend this novel. It has a gripping plot and I couldn't put it down once I'd started reading it! The historical detail makes the novel feel rich and portrays the period really vividly. I think that this is a wonderful debut novel from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 6 Aug. 2009
B. M. Nyman (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Vienna: A Novel of World War Two (Paperback)
I found this book gripping. It is very good at conveying the increasing tension and sense of foreboding in Vienna - particularly for the city's Jewish population - as the Nazis take over Austria and Hitler rides into Vienna. It does on occasion read a bit like a history lesson, but I suppose it's best that the reader fully understands what was actually going on at the time. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good story spoilt by a slushy romance, 28 July 2014
Kent Bookworm "Sue K" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This could have been a good story. The history of the Annexation of Austria is one of tension, as the Nazis storm through Vienna and start rounding up Jews around 1 year before actual war breaks out. Katharine Simmons is the heroine who is of course beautiful, a talented concert violinist and seems to have the most amazing friends in Freud, D H Lawrence, Arnold Bennett, H G Wells, the list goes on ...... as well as catching the eye of Eichmann - I've never seen so much name dropping and quite unnecessary as none of the characters appeared in the story!. The romance was just too Mills and Boon for my liking, when War has just been declared the hero says "Whatever this war holds for us darling, remember you will always have me. This time I will be there for you. You are mine to love and protect forever." and then promptly goes off to HQ for his orders. Very schmaltzy for what I thought would be a tense war novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service, 17 April 2012
E. Creech (Somerset,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Vienna: A Novel of World War Two (Paperback)
Excellent fast service, was very pleased and impressed and will be purchasing again! It was in very good condition, better than was stated so am pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars letter to J.H.Schryer, 3 Mar. 2011
Dear Mr Schryer,
I feel compelled to write to you to express my extreme displeasure with your book, "Goodnight Vienna". I commenced reading this publication several hours ago, intending to spend a matter of minutes on it before going to sleep at a sensible hour. However, due to your dastardly cunning in creating a novel that is hard to put down, I find myself still engrossed in the early hours of the morning, lacking the willpower to cease reading. What am I to do? I have a busy day ahead of me, and I do not see how it will be possible to function without sleep. I am therefore writing to you to ask you to desist from writing novels such as this one, or I will be unable to achieve anything worthwhile during daylight hours. I would appreciate it if, in future, you would kindly restrict your creative writing to that of short stories, which I would find easier to manage, interspersed as they would be with short periods of sleep. I do hope you will consider my suggestion; I cannot be the only poor soul who is suffering this way.
Yours sincerely,
Harried of Hendon

4.0 out of 5 stars Patchy, 21 Mar. 2015
I enjoyed this book. The story is well written and exciting. I would recommend it. Unfortunately the formatting has slipped throughout the book and there are typos. Some of the events are implausible. The baddie seems to appear and disappear too conveniently. The ease of code breaking seems unbelievable when you know how difficult enigma was to crack. If this is a recent ebook of a novel released before we knew about Bletchley Park then it is understandable. If it is modern then it is a jarring note amongst others.

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it from cover to cover, 18 Dec. 2014
A really superb read.
I enjoyed it from cover to cover.
This is a must read if you're into WW II covert operations.

1.0 out of 5 stars Goddnight Vienna, 9 May 2011
This review is from: Goodnight Vienna: A Novel of World War Two (Paperback)
I bought this book having been impressed, but grossly misled, by the very favourable reviews although the rather garish cover did ring a faint alarm bell. Bearing in mind,however,the old adage that a book should not be judged by its cover I went ahead and ordered. Mistake!

This novel abounds with cliches such as 'his strong arms around her'and inexplicable inaccuracies. For instance a train journey from Reading in Berkshire finishes not at Paddington but at London, Victoria without recourse to tube, bus or taxi. A march by concentration camp prisoners from Dachau, near Munich, to Sagan which in those days was in Lower Silesia (but now in Poland) for the purpose apparantly of constructing Stalag Luft lll took 5 weeks and 3 days and the prisoners, one is told, covered some two thousand miles. Alittle research reveals the distance to be approximately 670km and that this notorious prisoner of war camp was completed and received its first POWs in March 1942.

Goodnight Vienna must rank as the worst novel I've ever read and I nearly threw it in the bin several times before reaching the end. To sum up: utterly puerile.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Goodnight Vienna: A Novel of World War Two
Goodnight Vienna: A Novel of World War Two by J H Schryer (Paperback - 1 Jun. 2009)