5.0 out of 5 stars excellent and insightful
Published on 20 Mar 2012 by Mr. Pj Williams

1.0 out of 5 stars Loos 1915, a bit of a yawn!
Published on 4 Feb 2011 by cresser

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent and insightful, 20 Mar 2012
Mr. Pj Williams (cardiff uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
having an interest in the battleof loos while researching a family member ( cyril Luckin) I managed to pick up a copy of this book. Not so much great use for the individual I was looking at but brilliant for the overall battle and before and after. Lloydd does this piece of history great justice in his analysis of events, and is very even handed with his treatment of both sides. this is not one of the books that a general reader of "war books" will be interested in but its for anyone who understands that its about the detail where the devil lives that will win or lose a battle. I recomend this book to serious historians and people who want to expand thier reading past alan clarke to a brilliantly executed critique of the battle of loos. ( even sheffield sites him in his book on Haig so he has some fans...apart from me )

Also if you find yourself skipping pages... go back to the basic stuff, this isnt for you

4.0 out of 5 stars bogs 1915, 7 Aug 2010
This review is from: Loos 1915 (Battles & Campaigns) (Paperback)
A fascinating book which was delivered promptly and, just as importantly, at a competitive price

1.0 out of 5 stars Loos 1915, a bit of a yawn!, 4 Feb 2011
This review is from: Loos 1915 (Battles & Campaigns) (Paperback)
Well, In general, I love most anything to do with the Great War, and as a long lost relative took part ,(and died), in this battle, I wanted to learn a little more about it. As it turned out, I had to force myself to read it, and I skipped parts too. There was too much about the `Big Wigs`, who were probably miles away from any danger, instead of the `real soldiers`, who were getting blown to bits, gassed and machine gunned. So I`m afraid I was not overly impressed with this book.

Loos 1915 (Battles & Campaigns)
Loos 1915 (Battles & Campaigns) by Nick Lloyd (Paperback - 1 Oct 2008)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available