Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 November 2012
Caroline Matilda, youngest sister of George III, was somebody I'd never heard of. So why read a novel about her? Well, I know from reading others of her books, that Norah Lofts is capable of creating an enthralling tale from threads of historical fact, and I was not mistaken in reading "The Lost Queen". The reprint has typographical errors aplenty, but this does not detract from the story. Princess (Queen) Caroline marries the already-eccentric king of Denmark and pays the price (not that it is really her choice to marry him, you understand!) Her difficulties become manifold and only her spiritual and mental resolve carry her through. There is tragedy here, but romance too, as Caroline discovers what true love really means. The writing, as one would expect, is of a consistently high standard, lacking perhaps that ultimate breathtaking turn of phrase which makes one re-read it, and which one finds (rarely) in The King's Pleasure as in a couple of Philippa Gregory's more inspired offerings. Reading this gave me a great deal of enjoyment.
on 11 June 2015
It's been many years since I read anything by Norah Lofts and, until I started on this book, I'd forgotten just how skilled a writer she was. The Kindle edition was slightly marred by some OCR errors which really should have been spotted at the proof-reading stage: 'Knut' being rendered as 'kraut', for example. However, in the end, these did not spoil the overall reading experience for this is an absorbing tale. The characters come to life on the page and I found myself empathising with poor Caroline, bartered like a piece of cheap jewellery in the great Royal Marriage Marketplace. Fifteen years old without even the life experiences of her own maid to fall back upon, shipped off to Denmark to marry her crazy first cousin; faced with a step-mother-in-law who loathes her and plots against her; subjected to abuse and humiliation and forbidden ever to speak her own language - how could she feel anything other than wretched and was it not inevitable that she should fall for the first presentable man to treat her kindly?
Ms Lofts has cleverly woven checkable fact with well-written fiction and the finished product is almost seamless and has left me wanting to find out more. For instance, what ultimately was the fate of Princess Louise Augusta? To my mind, this book is a cut above the works of Philippa Carr and Alison Weir and has made me want to go back and re-read some old favourites.
This is the first novel I've read by Norah Lofts.

The story is about Princess Caroline Matilde of England, the sister to King George III. The Princess was only 15yrs when she was married to King Christian VII, the king of Denmark. Both Royal families knew about him being disturbed but they still let this young girl marry into a life of hell.

Though this book is well written and her descriptive writing is excellent, I still found this book slow moving which got a little boring at times.

Although the book was a good read, it's not a book I'd read again.
on 13 April 2013
Having admitted my guilty love of Philippa Gregory's books, I am now faced with the reason I find historical fiction usually so bad. I managed to finish this book but I don't know how!

The story is potentially quite interesting, Caroline Matilda was the youngest sister of George III and was married off to King Christian of Denmark in an advantageous match for both sides. He was mad and she had an affair with an ambitious courtier which led to her nearly being executed and actually being banished.

This would be a terrific story for a biography and there's plenty for fiction as well but this book is weak. All the characters seem to display only two dimensions and one cannot care for any of them because there is so little to care about.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 November 2012
I couldnt put this book down. Loved every bit of it and paid nothing as downloaded for free onto my kindle. This is a great way to introduce you to the author as I will be paying to read more of her books.If you like Philippa Gregory then get this book.
on 14 December 2012
Loved this book and couldn't put it down, kept me engrossed to the end. A thoroughly enjoyable read. I chose to ignore spelling mistakes and misplaced punctuation marks and just enjoyed the book.
on 31 January 2014
this book was a little overpriced but a great story
well written
much praise and very informative not a bad purchase at all
on 30 April 2014
I am still reading this book and enjoying immensely. It make me feel gratefuuuul that I was not born into royalty.
on 22 November 2015
Not as entertaining as I had hoped despite Norah Lofts literary expertise.
on 10 March 2016
A bit of a mess. Not impressed