on 27 November 2001
I gobbled up the book. It describes both life on the wartime homefront of West Wickham and life as an ordinary 21st century family recreating the experience for nine weeks. I felt drawn in the wake of the family's coping experiences. There are little details that about coping without a 'frig, about the family's feelings about stumbling into their air-raid shelter, about the experiences of their neighbours who actually lived through the war. Extremely moving, esp. for a Canuck born after the war. We didn't deal with much of the horror here, the uncertainty, yes, so it's a revelation. I really appreciated the commitment the family had to fully participating in the difficulties of the war experience both for their education and as a tribute to the women who went through the real thing.
on 6 March 2001
I loved the series on tv, and was really looking forward to reading this book to learn more about the familys experiences, but unfortunately the bulk of this book is about the war and Churchill in general - rather than the Hymers social experiment. Its still a very interesting and informative read, but I wanted to see more of the Hymers day-to-day experiences which weren't in the all to brief tv series. Most of the info in this book is available in any 'Wartime London' history book. A little disappointing.
on 23 May 2015
Loved the series wanted the DVD but it's way too expensive so got the book instead
on 28 June 2015
Saw this book when going for afternoon tea to a 40's tea shop , and really wanted to have the book. Will enjoy reading it
on 5 September 2003
This is a wonderful companion to the TV series that I have become obsessed with. I watch it over and over and never get tired of it. Being born just after D-Day, and a history major in college, I am fascinated with anything about WWII. The book is filled with background on the homefront and could have had more on the Hymers, but all in all I think this was the perfect family and the perfect experiment.
on 2 November 2015
Book was just what I needed for a WW2 project prompt service would definitely use again.
on 4 December 2000
If you have no idea how families lived in 1940, not just coping with a war but in their everyday lives, this book takes you there. It tells of a modern day family who are sent to live in a house equipped exactly as in that period, and to lead as accurate a 1940's life as possible. The reader follows their progress and their problems, their delights and their complaints. Illustrated wonderfully in both colour and black and white, it is a must for any library. Both entertaining and educational. The photography is first class.
on 17 December 2014
bit to indepth for me but a good book for a reader easy purchase
on 20 October 2010
A brilliant insight into life in wartime. I missed the BBC programme when it was shown but was wanting something for my grandchildren to read in conjunction with a story of my life. This book fits the bill and has helped me remember much about my wartime life as a small child.
on 21 July 2013
This book, written by one of the members of the 'Cabinet' which ran the lives of the 1940's family, gives us more information about the conditions during the war, and a bit more information about the family and how it coped with the privations of the project. I loved the series and found this book a terrific supplement.