5.0 out of 5 stars Spend money to save money
This book is just superb. It makes money management easy to understand. It made me change the way I deal with my money and to become proactive. I had worried about what to do with my savings. I read it twice in one week, it was so enlightening. I knew the options, and they weren't scary! I now own unit trusts and shares. Buy it, it's really, really good!
Published on 13 Dec. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Good-but pretty basic
Published on 27 Feb. 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Spend money to save money, 13 Dec. 2001
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars What everyone needs to know about their finances, 3 Jan. 2003
C. M. Perkins (Stirling, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
This book will change the way you think about your finances.
As someone whose investment knowledge went no further than a few privatisation shares and a savings account, this book answered many of the questions I had about how I could make my money work harder.
The explanation of compound interest had me going "why didn't I start earlier!" The explanation of personal pensions and annuities had me ready to lynch and old financial adviser; and various other revelations had me astounded at how the wool had been pulled over my eyes so easily ( by 'The Wise' ie: the community of professional financial advisers).
I tested some of The Fool's recommendations for personal finance by asking some 'Wise' people their opinions. They all did exactly what The Fool said they would do: try to talk me out of it. Why? Because I was taking control of my finances and they had a higher commission earning product to sell me (which, by implication, means a lower investment return for me).
Read this book before you make another decision about anything financial (a mortgage, pension or unit trust especially).

5.0 out of 5 stars PERSONAL FINANCE MADE EASY...BUY THIS BOOK, 24 July 2005
Martin R. Wedge "martley1" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Motley Fool UK Investment Guide (Paperback)
Most people are confused about personal finance, and as this book asserts 'that's the way the finance industry wants it to stay'. However, with the advent of the internet and the information age, all that is about to change. And this book shows you how for years people have been sold products with a poor return on any money you may have put in. And this includes pensions, endownment mortgages and shares investments. With lots of essential information and with links to the motley fool website this book leads you through pensions, ISA's, share investing and loads more. It shows you how to get the best deal, and why Index Trackers and ISA's are you fairy godmothers in investing. It's all written in a 'matey matey' style that is easy to digest. It's like having an old friend offering a guiding hand through the finance maze. This is the best book I have ever read on this subject. It will save you loads of money and you should own it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good overview, now due for the next edition, 5 Nov. 2006
This review is from: The Motley Fool UK Investment Guide (Paperback)
The authors of this book are unashamed Douglas Adams fans. If Adams had written an investment guide, however, he would have used less verbage. The book is an excellent primer on the UK equities scene. It is targeted at people who have previously considered this as all too hard, so a fairly dry topic is lathered in liberal doses of British humour. Sometimes too much humour, as they authors often take a while to get to, or return to, the point.

The authors views are strongly share-centric, rather than property centric, and they give a very broad treatment to various UK investment vehicles. Their overall strategy is long-term hold-and-keep, rather than shorter term trading. More of the book is dedicated to describing which investments to avoid, and why, rather than what to go for. This, combined with the books age (4 years old as this review is written), means that for detailed and up-to-date information, the reader will need to find other sources. Admittedly, the Fool website is an excellent starting point.

In summary, excellent overview, a bit wordy, and by now in need of a followup edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Shakespear, this should be on the National Curriculum, 19 Feb. 2006
Robert Groom (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Motley Fool UK Investment Guide (Paperback)
I can tell you that, if this book was on the national curriculum, we wouldn't have a pensions crisis. Simple as that. In the most engaging way possible, this book makes saving and investing come alive as a fascinating, enthralling, exciting challenge, and not as something boring, tedious and to be avoided at all costs until suddenly it becomes a necessity, and is probably about 20 years too late. It also tells you what to avoid, and why to avoid it. Who's out to give you unbiased advice (nobody) and who is your friend (compound interest). I will ensure that, when I have children, they read this book at the age of 10, and there will be an extremely good chance that they will be really rather wealthy in retirement. Just buy the damned thing - it will pay for itself many, many times over!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good-but pretty basic, 27 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
The book is a useful source for invetment information and is very easy to understand, but in many ways that is where the problem is. The information is incredibly basic and thus asks more questions than it tries to answer. The book is a good starting point for investors that can then move on to more detailed books about investment (in particular share dealing). The humour in the book begins to annoy very quickly too making it twice as long as it needs to be and there is also a great deal of self publicity about their web site, which is all well and good, but most people who would have bought the book would have known about the web site before anyway.
On the whole an informative read, but far to basic for it to be the only book you read before deciding to invest in the stock market.
P.S. The glossary and appendix section is excellent however.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real eye opener, 28 May 2001
By A Customer
A great book. It explains in very easy terms when and what to invest in. It was most interesting to read what a complete rip off pensions can be, and how easy it can be to do avoid all those upfront charges by simply investing in an index tracker.
I was previously thrasing in and out the share market based on borrowed money, and as the book explains, I got heavily stung.
Investing for your own future yourself is so easy when you use the Fool. Don't let all those high charges ruin your investments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it - it makes finance fun and easy, 24 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
This book is an easy read, uses down to earth terminology and is very understandable. The authors describe in simple terms the options that are available to anyone in how to make the most of their financial situation. I wish I had bought this book before I had started my pension. It would have saved me thousands of pounds. It is worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! (no more words needed), 31 Oct. 2000
If you want to take control of your investing strategy without paying out loads of commission to an IFA (salespeople) then this book is definetly for you. It shows a very effective way to invest in index trackers with very good returns compared to a building society. You will be laughing all the way through the book, as the author has not followed convention and produced a book that is entertaining and informative. An excellent book by David Berger of the Motley Fool UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!!!, 27 Feb. 2001
Craig Bonthron (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
Opened my eys to the world of investing. Cuts through all the crap that the financial profession distributes (to scare you off and justify charging you a large commission) and teaches you how do invest your money sensibly!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Motley Fool UK Investment Guide
The Motley Fool UK Investment Guide by James Carlisle (Paperback - 8 Nov. 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01