on 25 January 2011
I have all the books in this series and this one is certainly the best. I do not miss the ring binding of the earlier books and prefer the robust binding of this book.

I look forward to working my way through it but I will not stick to the "This is January 25 so the soup is...." approach. The very good index will be well used.

I tried the 'Petit Pois and Watercress' recipe on Sunday. My family is adicted to another menu for Watercress soup which is marginally better and not nearly so pea-flavoured but which takes ages to prepare. This was simple and quick. It went down to a band playing, as a Scottish friend would say. It will be a frequent starter with the other recipe reserved for special occasions when I have time to spare.

Did I say frequent? Possibly not as frequent as I now think. The index is full of mouthwatering suggestions and there are lots of ideas for vegetarians. I know that I will never make them but even the meaty ones sound good.

If you have room for only one book on soup, this is the one to buy.

Heather
33 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I've been looking for a decent soup book for ages, one that has good easy to follow soup recipes for the average person on the street and I must say this ticks every box! Such great value for 365 recipes and they follow the seasons so in Oct there are plenty of squash recipes. This book comes VERY highly recommended !!!!!
11 comment|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 December 2011
I don't particularly like the way this book is laid out - a sort of soup diary. The recipes though are great - clearly laid out, albeit the font used for the ingredients lists can be a little difficult to read. Although listing a soup per day seemed to me contrived, the recipes are at least seasonal. The preparation time and any extra time for soaking, etc is included prominently. I can't think of any recipes which require anything other than the sort of ingredients found in a reasonably stocked kitchen or which could not be acquired easily in at the supermarket.

The recipes vary from the fairly commonplace - carrot & cumin; roasted tomato; Tuscan bean; cucumber, pea & mint; cream of chicken; minestrone, and bouilliabaisse, to more unusual offerings. Among these there is roasted parsnip, lemon & vanilla; Moroccan lamb and chickpeas; red kidney bean & tamarind; sweet potato & orange; roasted chestnut with truffle oil; lentils with thyme & roasted vegetables; cream of fennel. There is a large range of fruit-based soups - for example Strawberry, cream & champagne; pear & apple; chilled melon & ginger; Barolo & blackberry or summer berry, apple and rhubarb. There is also plenty of variety from light soups to more hearty dishes such as cassoulet or vegetable balti, with plenty for vegetarians and meat eaters alike.

All in all, a useful addition to the kitchen book shelves.
on 15 December 2010
I was given this book for my birthday and I am SO happy with it. The book itself is weighty and gorgeous with gold detailing. It isn't spiral bound like the other Covent Garden books. The soups are split into each day of the year and the pages are brightly coloured. There are some oddball recipes in there (chocolate soup for one), but some really interesting ones too - the 24th December one is called White Christmas and it is White Onion, Stilton and Sherry - which I am quite looking forward to making. There are all the favourite Covent Garden recipes in too - Carrot and Coriander, Broccoli and Stilton etc. The recipes aren't complicated or long so all in all this is a beautiful book and would make an excellent present for any vetern foodie or anyone who loves soup!
on 29 June 2011
I've always been a fan of the Covent Garden soups and after seeing this book at a friend's house, decided I had to get it for myself. Before then, I hadn't even known they published their recipes. The book itself is very attractive and good quality paper. I think one small improvement could have been a sort of ribbon to keep your place because the way the book is bound means it doesn't really lie flat (and forcing it would ruin it). There are no pictures in it, which I usually don't like, but because the recipes are just soups I don't find this a problem at all, I find I don't miss the photos.
The soups themselves are fantastic. They are separated into seasons (via the colour on the page) and most of the recipes do not have long lists of ingredients, which is one of the most important factors to me as I don't have much money and don't want to go spending twenty quid on a soup. If you have basic ingredients in your cupboards, such as onions, garlic, tomato puree and various herbs and spices then you'll often find all you need to buy is a few vegetables. Having said that, if you do want to make something a bit more special, there are also recipes for slightly more complicated dishes, e.g. involving mussels or lobster. There are also some dessert ones that I have yet to try involving chocolate or champagne and there are some unusual recipes such as orange pepper and kiwi and one involving rhubarb. Otherwise there is a good mix of vegetarian, meat, poultry and fish soups. I have recently become vegetarian but still find this book brilliant as most of the recipes can be adapted. Various nationalities are also represented, with Thai, Moroccan, Italian, Scottish and French etc. flavours.
So far, I have tried the courgette and tarragon soup and the roasted red pepper and tomato - both were delicious. And next I will be trying Moroccan spinach and chickpea. Even just flicking through the book to choose your next soup is great fun. And because each soup makes many portions, it represents good value for money as you can freeze them and eat them later on. If you are a soup fan and are fed up of eating the same flavours like leek and potato or tomato, I can't recommend this book highly enough.
on 5 May 2011
I agree with the rave reviews of the recipes. I bought my first New Covent Garden Soup book because, although I love cooking, I had naver made a soup. I fell in love with the first recipe I tried and it wasn't long before I was in possesion of another in the series.

Hence, when I saw this production, I had to get it. There are a lote of recipes I haven't already got and I like the idea of recipes that are seasonal. In, fact, I have just made the chicken and asparagus soup - delicious.

So why only three stars? Well, because this should be a quality product. However, there are recipes that use ingredients that are not in the ingredient list, there are listed ingredients that are not used in the recipes, typos - shoddy, careless and very frustrating. Okay, so you can figure out what to do with the ingredients that don't figure in the method (at least i have been able to so far) but such carelessness is unforgivable.
55 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 December 2010
This book is an amazing companion to a healthy winter! I have made 3 soups so far and loved them all! Very simple to make, and they are so yummy and warming. I'm a real pig at this time of year, but found myself gorgeing on nutritious soup rather than mince pies. :)
on 22 February 2015
Went for this book due to the good reviews, and 365 recipes so plenty of variety or so you would have though!

But there are too many recipes are variations on the same thing, just a tiny difference in ingredients and a different sounding name, but essentially the same soup.

Also, many recipes use cream, cheese, butter and fatty meat like bacon and sausage, whilst not totally against a good thick hearty soup this does again reduce the choice you have.

Very poor index should you have an ingredient you wish to use, then pray that it is in the soup title.

Should I purchase a different book from New Covent Garden then I hope that they have found a new proof reader as far too may errors.
on 9 June 2011
I have shelves full of cook books, but this one has definitely become one of my favourites. I have tried about 7 or 8 of the recipes now and they were all unbelievably good. My favourite was a tangy soup with rhubarb.

The book is set up as a sort of calender. Each page represents one day and has a soup recipe for that day. I think it's a great Idea. You don't have to stick to the days, but the recipes in May for example all seem to use products which are available at this time of the year.

If I want to make a soup there are two ways I use this cook book. The first is simply to look the recipes in the weeks before and after the actual date to get Ideas. The second is to look for recipes using veggies I've seen on special in the shops. If squash for example is in season and down in price, I check the index to find recipes using squash (there are 12).

Plus sides:
+ You don't need loads of ingredients
+ Huge variety (from your basic tomatoe soup to delicious exotics like a rhubarb and parsnip soup)
+ Recipes sorted by the time of year so it's easier to find soups to match your needs (e.g. soup for using up
left over Turkey after X-mas)
+ Recipes are dead easy to make and the layout of the recipes is clear and simple.

Negative side:
- No pictures of the soups (although I admit they would probably all look quite similar anyway)

I can do nothing more now than to recommend you definitely buy this book!!
It is well worth the money and I wouldn't want to be without it!!!
on 22 September 2010
This is marvellous. They seem to have combined all the recipes they seem to have ever made and detailed how to make them in this book of 365 recipes. Its a bigger book than all the others (well obviously) and they have moved away from the ring bound book style to the more posh book style that so many books now use. Even has gold writing on it. Its easily laid out so recipes are easy to follow. They remain true to the other books and have no photographs of the finished soups..... but then its a soup not a Coq au Vin! Love it. Now to try tomorrows soup today.
11 comment|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse