5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant street art
This is a really brilliant idea, and great "little" book. The idea is simple - take small people (1 inch high or so), paint them and put them somewhere, create a story around them, and take close up (macro) shots.

throw in some heartfelt life messages, and you have this book. It's a great alternative view on life, and life in London specifically...
Published on 5 Sep 2008 by N. WISE

3.0 out of 5 stars OK book on the topic
Not a bad work to cover the subject but not that detailed to make it an essential text I thought.
Published 9 months ago by Peter Curry

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant street art, 5 Sep 2008
N. WISE (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little People in the City: The Street Art of Slinkachu (foreword by Will Self) (Hardcover)

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful artwork, unfortunate foreword, 28 May 2010
Sarah Clifford (England) - See all my reviews
The artwork involved in this book is absolutely wonderful, the situations the little people are left in are often thought provoking and very well thought out, and all the images are of superb quality. The foreword lets this book down unfortunately, because Will Self tries (as always) too hard to sound clever and ends up merely patronising readers of this otherwise delightful book with unnecessarily long words.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Sep 2008
J. A. Gwyer "hdgnet.com" (Whitstable, UK) - See all my reviews
It's strange how something like this can be beautiful and hold so much emotion, but I guess that's the whole point of art.

Flick through and you're reminded that we're all little people at the end of the day. Slink captures that lost, vulnerable feeling we all get sometimes and then throws in the comic moments too.

I first saw "Dreams of packing it all in" when I was trapped in a big corporate and had just been prescribed the happy pills. It now takes pride of place on my self-employed office wall and reminds me of how things used to be.

And at this price, cannot we all afford some art in our lives?

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 21 Sep 2009
This book intrigued me. With its brightly coloured photos of tiny life like models in the big bad world I was compelled to look at each picture and put it into a context that I could understand. I think this book is very much about what YOU want to see in it. For some it will be a book about miniature models; for another it will about how you perceive the world from a giant's perspective; for others it will a perplexing look into another person's mind and for me it's about the real world standing still so we can look at it from above.

The Street art of Slinkachu touched my "funny bone" so to speak. It intrigued me and so I purchased it. Even after looking at each photo in the book carefully I am still finding new things that I hadn't noticed before every time I pick it up. I love the irony, the satire, the sadness, the sorrow, the humour, the mystery, the boldness, the desperation, the cynicism of these photographed models that depict our own lives in miniature.

I am not an art buff, in fact "I like what I like" I don't have a passion for Picasso, I don't get him as one would say but I do love Lowry's depiction of the North of England and I have never forgotten the painting "Christina's World" by Andrew Wyeth which I saw in a New York Art Gallery many years ago so there is nothing "buff" about me.

But Slinkachu's street art is something I could become addicted too and I hope he continues to make his models and photograph them so that I can be intrigued some more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Midget gems..., 3 Feb 2009
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Photographic art and comedy collide in this genuinely funny book.

Will Self (get your dictionaries out) provides a foreword and manages to convey (perhaps more articulately than I can) Lilliputian comparisons to this little gem of a book which surely never fails to bring a smile to the reader.

It's not often that a book of art can appeal to such a large audience. Many find such books to be pretentious - seemingly smug that not everyone `gets it', but with Slinkachu's "Little People in the City" there's a feeling of inclusivity - this is a book of little people for the little people.

Flicking through the pages for the first time I tittered to myself as all the cultural references were plain to see and easy to get - from Wotsits, crisp packets, and cash machines, to dead bees and road signs. I love this book.

Another great feeling this book brings is that the photography itself is technically very basic - a wide shot of a scene followed by a macro shot of the little people in it - anyone with a simple point and shoot camera could do this. Of course there's much more to this than just taking a photo, Slinkachu creates a scene with a social message and visual humour - and therein exists the genius.

In a nutshell: At first this appears to be a book of funny pictures. But quickly you start to read messages into photographs and understand that the most important thing in this big world of ours is the little people. That for every big scene there are smaller events no less important to the people they happen to. You'll come back to this book again and again, and you'll feel proud to be one of the little people.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little book that's a lot for the money., 2 Oct 2008
J. Grant (Scotland) - See all my reviews
An entertaining and extremely interesting form of street art, this little gem will appeal to anyone interested in street art: it's a must if you're a fan of Banksy! Each piece has a shot showing its surroundings as well as a macro shot with its title. You really do empathise with each little figure! I'm sure any student would be happy to add this to his or her collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 24 Jun 2014
Such fantastic pictures! I only wish it was bigger. They come up about postcard sized. A great collection of images that I feel there's a whole parallel world of tiny people going on around us!

5.0 out of 5 stars big book!!, 18 Feb 2014
The small things come bigger. Amazing Book. I have enjoyed it so much. Great situations, great pics. Great small book.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK book on the topic, 10 Oct 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!!!, 16 Sep 2013
These photographs & models are absolutely superb. I'm going to look for more of Slinkachu's work. Some of the photos have given me ideas for my own models. A+++

Little People in the City: The Street Art of Slinkachu (foreword by Will Self)
7.69