5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and informative, 12 Jan 2007
This review is from: Giant Leaps: Mankind's greatest scientific advances (Paperback)
I'm not a Sun reader and I must admit I was wary of this when I was given it for Christmas, but what a fantastic book! My family couldn't put it down. It covers the whole history of science and technology using made-up Sun pages ("MOULD THE FRONT PAGE" for the discovery of penicillin; "CUTTING EDGE" for flint tools; "WATCHA" for the birth of television) as well as "textbook" essays by the Science Museum. I'm not sure whether it's aimed at kids but to be honest any age would learn from it. My 11 year old son took it to school and his science teacher fell in love with it! A really unusual, colourful take on science and a good laugh too! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent idea, well executed, 23 Jan 2007
Wow, for the first time in recent memory, I have to agree with Tony Blair! I actually wish we had had a book like this at school - not as an actual text book for the curriculum... But in order to spark an general interest in science.

The Sun tabloid-style front pages are located on the right-hand side page, and a scientific discussion is presented on the opposite side. It never feels patronising, and the range of topics is well-thought out (although maybe a few more topics would have been a good idea).

It really works - I am in my mid-twenties, and felt like a fascinated school kid reading it. Superb book, great idea, well-executed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Informative, 22 Feb 2007
Absolutely hilarious. However, I would agree with the reviewer who said that it would have been nice to see a few more topics treated, but, all in all, highly entertaining and informative.

Giant Leaps: Mankind's greatest scientific advances
Giant Leaps: Mankind's greatest scientific advances by Jack Challoner (Paperback - 3 Nov 2006)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available