5.0 out of 5 stars The best soup cookbook ever
I have owned this book for over a year now and it is the most used cookbook on my shelf. Every time I cook a soup from it, I get compliments and empty bowls. Most of the recipes are quick and simple to make and if you don't have the exact ingredients, still tend to work well. As a final bonus, my children's vegetable intake has doubled since starting to cook...
Published on 4 Dec. 2005 by Helen Melichar

3.0 out of 5 stars Feedback
I bought this book because I wanted to make my own soups.

As someone with poor sight, I found the black on green print, difficult to read as I need more of a colour contrast.

Perhaps I should taken the hint from the company who wrote the book, but I was looking for more basic recipes to get me started which this book does not have.
Published on 1 Feb. 2012 by Mobby

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars soups for all occasions!, 19 Jan. 2010
This review is from: New Covent Garden Soup Company's Book of Soups: New, Old and Odd Recipes (Hardcover)
Being a bit of a hoarder of cookery books, I was very happy to receive this and the purple new covent garden book this Christmas. I have made three soups so far from this one (I will be making another three this week!) I have always loved making soups but found the kids rather less than receptive. After trying these recipes my two year old girl asked for more!!
This book is great because there is a lot of variety from Carrot and Coriander (the New Covent Garden stalwart!) to sweet potato and orange. The celery and potato soup with cheese is a real winner! These are, without doubt, the best soups I have ever made.
A lot of these soups take between 30 minutes and an hour (prep and cooking time) and they are not at all labour-intensive.
I do agree with some reviewers that some recipes are more elaborate or have rather grander names than your average soup but that just makes them great for a more filling meal with some crusty bread: lamb tagine soup, mussel, red pepper and tomato etc...
The ring binder design is great for the work tops and the only down side is the "handwriting" style which maybe tricky for some to read.
I will be ordering the other books in the series very soon!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite cook book!, 11 July 1999
By A Customer
Loads of stunning recipes, all of which work first time. Old favourites, and other things you wouldn't have thought of. Full of inspiration!

5.0 out of 5 stars Soup, glorious soup!!!!, 15 Mar. 2009
Bought this book and had it delivered yesterday. We have tried two recipes in two days and they have been a huge success even with my 4-year old and 8-year old fussy eaters! A must-have for everyone's kitchen!

With detailed and easy to understand instructions this book is great for everyone from the complete novice to the experienced cook. The recipes are varied, interesting, and most of them are made up from basic storecupboard ingredients and those widely available even in the most basic of supermarkets - or fresh food market. The spiral binding makes the book fantastically handy to refer to while you're cooking. The only thing I miss with this book is pictures - it would have been great to have a visual representation of what the finished object could or is meant to look like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Souper Covent Garden Recipes, 10 Aug. 2009
This is the better one of two Covent Garden recipe books I have purchased. It contains 128 pages of soups that are categorised into: Wonderful (eg: Pappa al Pomodoro), Unusual (Nettle), Reviving (Chicory), Fancy (Cream of Fennel), Plain (Spinach with Nutmet), Chilled (Avocado & Cucumber), Warming (Smoked Haddock Chowder), Exotic (Moroccan Chickpea & Spinach), and Seasonal (Turkey & Cranberry). There are even sweet soups using various fruits (and one using chocolate!) but I haven't tried any of them yet.

The book is spiral bound which makes it easy to stay open whilst working through the instructions. The paper is slightly glossed so can easily be wiped clean.

The recipes are "hand written" which adds a homeliness to the book, and each recipe begins with an introduction to the origin of the recipe, many of which have been devised by members of the Covent Garden staff.

There is a section at the back of the book entitled "How to make this book your own" in which you can make your own notes regarding changes in ingredients, and tasting notes. I prefer to make notes at the top of the relevant recipe page instead.

A worthwhile buy for all Soup fans, looking for new and exciting recipes to try.

3.0 out of 5 stars Feedback, 1 Feb. 2012
I bought this book because I wanted to make my own soups.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious simple recipes, 30 Dec. 2008
D. Stevenson (England) - See all my reviews
We've only made a few recipes so far, but really enjoying the book. As a vegetarian, there are lots of soups for me to try and many that can be made vegetarian eg using veg stock instead of the suggested chicken stock. Very simple recipes to follow, but lots of more complicated ones to try. Excellent results so far. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Covent Garden Book of Soups, 15 May 2009
Mrs. B. J. Hazell (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This book was given to me as a birthday present, and the recipes are wonderful. I regularly hold lunch parties, and serve two or three different soups, with various fancy breads, and a dessert to follow, and the girls (all pensioners!) love all of the soups. Several of my friends and relatives have bought a book for themselves, and the recipes include summer soups, and also unusual flavours, including fruit and chocolate!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, 2 Aug. 2009
I love this book - really great recipes. Plenty of veggie recipes.
Shame about the 'hand-written' font, but otherwise cannot be faulted.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!, 30 Mar. 2009
A. Jones (wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
The reviews were right ... this is a fantastic book with a wide range of easy to make recipes to suit all tastes and occasions. I have had mixed results from various soup recipes to date, but having now made 3 of these recipes (with ease!) I haven't had a failure yet. Very tasty, nutritious and with easy to find ingredients. I will definitely be buying others in the series. 5 stars!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so souper!, 8 Aug. 2011
I was surprised to be as disappointed as I am with this book - a few lovely recipes but too many from other sources such as Cranks which I already have - I guess I was hoping for a bit more innovation! Slightly irritating presentation as well - it is as if it is trying to look and feel like a 'personal' cook book which doesn't work for me!

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›