5.0 out of 5 stars The best Isa book yet!
Published 10 months ago by Chickpea

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a kindle book.
Full of great recipes. But this is not a Kindle book. Have to zoom to be able to read. Doesn't work like a kindle book just images of pages. Do it properly and I'll buy it.
Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Isa book yet!, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week (Hardcover)
I have all of Isa's books and they are all great. She really is one of the best vegan cooks out there. This book is beautiful. It has a lot of pictures along side the wide range of recipes. So far I have made 12 recipes and the have all been delicious. I will certainly make them all again. So the rosemary chocolate chip cookies were wonderful. The sinfully wholesome waffles were fantastic. I loved the Chandra malai kofta and the tempeh meatballs with spaghetti and spicy slurpy sauce. The tofu mushroom stroganoff, lentil a roni, dilly stew with rosemary dumplings, coconut chana saag, smoky Incan stew and meaty beamy chili were also wonderfully tasty. If you want a vegan cookbook you won't go wrong with this book. I can't recommend it highly enough and I can't wait to try out some more recipes. It is worth noting there is a British and American version. I have the American as I prefer using cup measures and this is the version I have based my review on.

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Go To Vegan Cookbook, 10 April 2014
Being Vegan isn't hard but being Vegan and having some hearty meals can be a bit of a pain.
Before this book I was sometimes afraid to experiment with different beans and ideas, basically stuck in a rut of I'll have this recipie I like and that one I like but not try anything else.
Then I got this book and everything sounded so tasty (there are only pictures for every few meals and not for everything), Isa has a little blurb before the recipie that always makes me laugh and you can tell a lot of time, care and attention has gone into this book.

Yes the measurements are all USA but to be honest I haven't found that it matters too much, I just go with the measurements anyway and it seems to work out.
Finding some of the ingredients hasn't been hard but a bit stranger than the norm, for instance I could only find Jamaican Curry powder at my local spice shop and it took me forever to find corn meal here in the UK (Did not realise it is Polenta), Nutritional yeast can easily be bought on Amazon in a 3 pack and lasts for months.

I have tried at least 25 of the recipies here and only disliked one, everything else has been so hearty and tasty.

A little tip from me, Isa tends to use cashew cream in a fair few of the recipies, I found that making a massive batch in the blender then freezing it (it freezes really well) and then when frozen whacking it with a hammer to break it into pieces meant that I always had it handy without sitting and soakng the Cashews for hours. Just add a couple of blocks to your recipie and give it an extra 5 mins.

So if you want a new Vegan cook book with loads of awesome recipies then go on and buy this.
Also check out Isa's series on YouTube for Breville where she shows off a few of these recipies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious recipes, 27 April 2014
SM (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
I was given this book on Mother's Day, and I absolutely love it.

It is a 'real' cookery book. It contains beautiful pictures of the recipes. The whole layout is bright, engaging and colourful, and it makes me want to get into the kitchen and cook - even when I'm tired!...

At first glance, some of the recipes looked as though they were not the kind of thing I would usually make for my family. But I've given it a chance, and started working my way through the recipes and as of yet, not a single one has disappointed. The book has made me more adventurous in what I cook and what I am willing to attempt to cook. Friends who are not vegan, have also enjoyed what I've made.

Yes, sometimes what is written down seems to be American, but it isn't too hard to figure things out with the aid of the internet.

All in all, this book is great and the recipes are very good. I'm really pleased with it.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book makes me happy I be alive!, 3 Feb 2014
From the moment you open Isa Does It you realise you are holding a special book, and that delicious dinners await!

The styling of the book is lovely. It's well laid out and benefits from loads of really tempting photos of the finished dishes,(something that often lacks in vegan cook books!)

I like how the book is divided into sections like "comfort food" and "hand held food", as well as your usual soups, salads, pasta etc.
A big focus in this book is making food that's satisfying, and Isa says this is done by putting emphasis on three things: char, creaminess and complexity.(also things that often lack in vegan recipe books!)

As with all Isa books there are very detailed instructions with each recipe, and tips to either help you cut time, or make substitutions if you can't get all the ingredients. (you kind of feel like your'e getting a mini cooking lesson with each recipe you read!)

The ingredients used are generally easy to find, although a few recipes do use seitan, which is tricky to get here in the UK (however there are plenty of recipes that don't use it).
Cashews also feature a fair bit, but for those who can't eat cashews there's a helpful page which suggests substitutions for various ingredients ie Sunflower seeds in place of cashews.

I love how the recipes are mostly quick and not very labour intensive, so are perfect for weeknights, (but let you still feel you're making a special dinner.) I feel this book is equally suited to new and experienced cooks.
So far I've only made the kale salad, and leek potato soup, but I know that there are lots of new favourite dinners in this book just waiting to be made, and I can't wait to try more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Change your life, buy this book., 8 Sep 2014
I'm not a vegan, but this is now my favourite cookbook. I've never enjoyed cooking before, and always thought I wasn't very good at it. My waist line has expanded as a result of an excess of ready meals and takeaways in the last few years.

When I got this book, I was instantly struck by the warm homemade appearance of all the food, and how it all looked so appetising to someone who previously had an aversion to healthy food. It made me desperate to learn to cook. I've never looked back, and there hasn't been a day since when I've chosen a takeaway over one of Isa's recipes.

This book is stuffed full of comfort food recipes. Stuff you want to eat every day. You don't need a lot of fancy ingredients, just fresh vegetables and a few store cupboard staples. Everything is clearly explained with Isa's friendly, guiding style. A complete beginner (like me) can follow with ease.

It's easy to substitute in meat if you want to, and even cheese and dairy products if you're just vegetarian (like me). But I've found most of the time the meals are great how they are, wholesome, hearty and packed full of goodness and flavour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, Isa does it again!, 30 Oct 2014
I own quite a few of Isa's cookbooks and love all of them, but this is the most amazing (yet).

Where Veganomicon is a bit too complicated and Appetite For Reduction is a bit too healthy, Isa Does It just nails it.

The recipes are fast, tasty, easy and most of all they just *work*. You don't have to be a seasoned cook to pull them off, if you can read the recipe (and follow the recipe, some people get that part wrong) you can make the food.

The ingredients are easy to get hold of even here in the UK (although some require a trip to Whole Foods), no esoteric stuff like in some other vegan cookbooks.

Very impressed, can't wait to see what Isa does next!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty stuff, 20 Jun 2014
This is a really good book for when you wanna "splurge" or invite over non - veggies for dinner. It's a bit high on the calorie / fats side, but it's also really tasty, and great pictures as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as 'Isa' [easy] as the title suggests, 12 Feb 2014
I'm a huge fan of Isa Moskowitz so was always going to buy this book. It's her most beautiful yet, looking like a 'proper' cookbook on the shelf in the shop where I bought it. The layouts, graphics and photography are so fun and colourful and do make the food look exciting.

My main impression of it is that it doesn't, in my opinion, live up to its title. It's meant to contain 'easy' recipes but every single one that I've looked at that I might want to try requires a specialist ingredient (e.g. coconut oil, seitan), extensive preparations (a creamy soup I liked the look of requires me to soak cashews for several hours) or ingredients that you need to Google to find out what they are known as in the UK. (That's my other main gripe - I waited months for the UK version and it still asks you to buy 'collards', 'navy beans' and 'Frank's Hot Sauce'. I should have just bought the US edition! It's like the UK publisher just changed the price from $ to £ on the dustjacket and sent it to print - why didn't they actually adjust it to a UK audience?)

I think a lot of people will enjoy this book, and as a vegan I'm happy to see such a beautiful vegan cookbook on the shelves. It's just that there aren't many recipes I'd want to try. I like recipes where I'm likely to have most of the ingredients already in the kitchen, and not have to take a trip to a specialist supermarket to buy the rest. I also like to be able to throw things into the one pot, leave them to cook, then eat them, rather than having umpteen things going on at once and having to plan ahead to soak or marinate things for hours.

In 'Isa Does It' many recipes are complicated by additions, such as a soup that looks pretty good but it also asks you to prepare seitan in a specific way to go on top. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's very nice and would look impressive at a dinner party but these are meant to be EASY recipes. They are not. If you want straightforward vegan recipes I'd recommend buying Isa's 'Appetite for Reduction', which isn't a diet book despite the title, but rather one that is full of easy soups, stews, chillis and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Isa Really Does Do It! Best Isa book yet., 25 Feb 2014
When my partner and I became vegan, we bought a few different cookbooks to try out. Isa's books Veganomicon and Appetite for Reduction soon became our favourites because of their diverse range of easy-to-follow, delicious, and healthy recipes. However, Isa Does It is just in a completely different league. I really can't believe it, but this book has completely transformed me from a reluctant and mediocre cook (at best!) to a keen enthusiast - I look forward to making dinner every night so that I can try out a new recipe! I've never experienced anything like it; somehow every recipe that we've tried has resulted in restaurant-quality, incredibly satisfying, beautiful meals the like of which I never would have dreamed could be created in our kitchen. Isa has designed the book in a way that makes you feel as if she is right there in your kitchen, serving as your friendly and supportive guide so that even the more daunting-looking recipes become manageable. The ingredients are generally easy to get and she gives you useful tips on kitchen equipment, veggies to keep in stock, and how to make creamy sauce out of cashews or sunflowers. She has also included helpful guidelines for substituting common allergens in the recipes, which is great for us as my partner is allergic to nuts. There is an easy metric conversion chart at the back so measurements are no problem. Isa, I can't tell you how grateful we are to you for writing this awesome book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing cookery book for all (not just vegans!), 31 Dec 2013
I love this book so much. I've had it a week and have used it for almost every meal - I'm addicted! The recipes are easy to follow and ultra tasty. I'm a new vegan and feel so much more confident in my cooking abilities as a result of this book! My favourites so far are the pillow pancakes and the ancho chilli tacos. In addition to the recipes there are great tips and comments throughout. There is a great section up front regarding techniques, equipment and general cooking tips.

In addition to the content the layout and design makes this a pleasure to look at and read. I'm buying a copy for my mother who is not vegan but loves all the recipes I've made her from this.

Thank you Isa!!!