5.0 out of 5 stars No Sugar Coating
Tells the truth about running (it's hard), forces you to confront the lies you tell yourself, and motivates far better than the 'be nice to yourself, you deserve it' wet self-help books. A really good introduction to running for beginners too.
Published on 5 Jan 2012 by J. Blake

1.0 out of 5 stars I just...don't like her
The problem with this book is, it's split into two parts. Ruth Field combines some very interesting ideas with a really horrible, negative attitude. I agree with her premise, that some people need a boot to get started but she comes acros as really smug and rude with it.

Published on 29 Mar 2012 by E. Watson

1.0 out of 5 stars I just...don't like her, 29 Mar 2012
E. Watson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)

So much of this book jarred with me. She encourages you to hate your body, to stand in front of the mirror (naked) and chant 'I'm a fat bitch'...why? Probably everyone who bought this book (for 10.99, mental) bought it because they are already unhappy with themselves - why make it worse? She then attempts to lighten the tone with 'oh, come on, it's just a laugh - I laugh at myself when I'm chanting this, it makes me megalolz, it's so funny ROFLcopter' but it's not funny, and it's not helpful.

She even admits herself that she was never fat, that she was slightly overweight due to a few lunches that she ate while training to be a barrister ( you may as well get this fact into your brain now, she talks about it enough), so really, she has never struggled with a long-term weight problem. And a lot of her methods are backed up by her family - I don't know about you, but I reckon my family would back me up if I wrote a book too. It probably wouldn't make for very accurate case studies but it would probs shift some books (10.99 a copy, bonkers).

Oh, I am trying so hard not to be annoyed by this book because I really do think the tough love approach would work well. But if you are looking for someone to identify with you and to understand how tricky weight loss can be, then this book is not for you. Spend your 10.99 on something lovely, like flowers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 19 Jun 2012
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
I wish I had listened to the other reviewers of this book. Lots of writing with nothing to say. Drink Water, eat less crap and run as best you can while calling yourself a fat bitch.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm - genuine attempt to get people off the couch, 24 Dec 2013
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
The very good intention to address not just method but motivation is a laudable one. But the substance is thin and the book is too long. It's a very personal account apparently referencing the experience of family and friends yet makes grand claims for running. There's a suggestion that running be diagnosed for post-natal depression. I wonder if the limited experience here translates widely.

In summary the content is

Don't make excuses for yourself - use equipment you have and just get on with it
Start by walking a 5k ish route which starts an ends at your door on soft surface as much as possible
Build up to running it at least 3x per week no matter what the weather
Drink lots of water
Eat more healthily
Don't expect to enjoy it and the first 10 minutes of running is always painful
Lack of choice and simplicity is conducive to a repetitive routine
Once the routine is established build on it by setting some more ambitious goals

This book optimistically suggests there's a singular answer to getting a person from doing nothing to regular exercise. It's a very welcome focus on the question of motivation but suspect the answer is an individual one. Always useful to hear what has worked for someone but hopefully the author would not herself make greater claims than that this is a personal perspective shared.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm...., 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
Not too keen with the 'I'm a fat/lazy bitch' chanting, whether it's jokey or not. Not conducive to good mental health, unfortunately. If you are in the slightest bit prone to depression, steer well clear.

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't think it works for unfit fat older women, 17 Jan 2012
B. Bampton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
I'm 60 and 3 stone overweight. My attention was caught by the extracts in the times but I'm disappointed with the book. To begin, with I'm struggling to read it at all because a lot of it is in a really odd spidery script!
Ruth is unrealistic. She admits she was really into sport at school and never fat, and her mother played squash and netball after her kids were born and was active into her 40s. How can she relate to somebody like me who was always last to be picked for school sports? Her husband could run 4 miles after just 6 weeks - the furthest I have ever run in my entire life without stopping is half a mile and that was after 4 months training for a charity race. She talks about finding attractive circuits with little or no concrete that are fairly flat and start and end at the front door. I live in the country and I can't do that. (Her mother apparently lives in the Virginia Water park?)
All of these points are excuses but probably my main problem is that I don't respond to the stick, I just hibernate. Like Ruth I have an inner Grit Doctor. She gets me up at 3am to take my mother to the bathroom but she'll never get me to run at 6am on an empty stomach in the dark.

2.0 out of 5 stars how to hate yourself, 1 April 2012
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
I'll admit right away that I didn't finish the book, I just couldn't. The title of this book really piqued my interest, I though,'a bit of tough love and a good dose of humour is just what i need'. However within the first couple of pages I hated Ruth Field. As someone who is overweight and struggling with self confidence, being told to hate myself is not what i needed! Unfortunately that's exactly what the author does. The whole premise of the book is about tapping into the cruel, negative self-hating part of your brains and bullying yourself into exercising. What's more is that right away she tells the reader that they will probably never enjoy running and that it's something that you will have to force yourself to do for the rest of your life. I don't know about anyone else but I think life is just to short to spend hours doing something I detest. There are so many other activities you could do to lose weight. The final thing that bothered me is that Field informs us that she has never been more than a few pounds overweight so I wasn't inspired by her in the slightest. If you are intent on learning to run I would recommend Matt Roberts latest book, I read his previous 'I will make you fit fast' and I'll be happy to give it another go after this mess.

2.0 out of 5 stars Won't suit everyone, 24 Mar 2012
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
I was curious about this book, so bought it although I didn't like the title. It's quite witty, and I'm sure it'll work for some people. If you respond to abuse, if it fires you up, if you secretly have always wanted to go to a boot camp or join the army, then this could be for you. I'm nothing like that, and at points I got irritated by the assertion that the best way to spur yourself on is by being negative and abusive to yourself.

I feel qualified to comment, because last year, after abhorring running for as long as I can remember, I trained and ran a 5k. I now run regularly, though very slowly, and I'm no athlete! I managed to do it using the programme in 'Running Made Easy', where you build up very gradually from running a minute. The time demands are nowhere near as much as in this book, and I fitted it around work and children. Running Made Easy is a well-written book, and has got a much better tone. (And no, I'm not related to the authors, but it achieved the impossible and got me running.) I also like the John Bingham books, like No Need for Speed, which are funny and have lots of things that overweight forty-somethings like me can relate to.

I wrote this just to get people to think what motivates them. If you like being shouted at, this will suit you. If that sort of thing just turns you into a sulky teenager and makes you want to give up, then try the others I've recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Sugar Coating, 5 Jan 2012
J. Blake "richaldis" (UK) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Irritating tone, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Kindle Edition)
Having read reviews, I was intrigued. It was poorly written, some advice admittedly but only as much as you would glean from a newspaper feature.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Grit Doctor healed herself, 17 Jan 2012
purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
I was looking forward to a no nonsense style and some running advice. I'm a big believer in exercise that is achievable without lots of equipment and I've completed the 13 week Couch to 10K running programme through an app on my iPhone and I was looking for more. Ruth Field advises walking a circuit for some time before you start running/jogging at all rather than a walk/run where the intervals increase. I much prefer the C210K or C25K advice which has you always running within your capability but see an improvement in that running right from day one. The Grit Doctor says...

- You may never actually enjoy running. What you enjoy is less the run itself and more what it enables you to do in the rest of your life. The pleasure you really get from running is the fact that you have run, in spite of all the excuses you could think of not to.

I think this is a shame - I get what she means about need to 'just do it' and get out the door but there is enjoyment in running. Running in the London Parks this glorious autumn was a joy.

She also says - 'Running is the key to your weight loss, not food'. However, research demonstrates that diet has the biggest impact in weight loss, valuable as exercise is.

The book may get you out running but in my view there are better starter kits available such as Get Running: How to Get Started, Stay Motivated and Run Your Best and Zest: Running Made Easy (Zest Magazine) It's light on science/technique, and anything much really, other than her own approach to getting running. If the Grit Doctor style works for you then great, but the provocative title over-promises the content. There is a useful "motivational meltdown" chapter with tips such as raising money for charity to boost motivation, and success stories from other people. The book covers running after having a baby and some good general safety information together with a resource list of websites.

Ruth Field had given up running herself until she found that her book had sold and has got herself back to it, which is laudable, though mainly running on the treadmill. She had had twins, which will put a dent in anyone's plans. I did wonder whether it was the publisher's pay check or her own message which got her back to it

Run Fat Bitch Run
Run Fat Bitch Run by Ruth Field (Paperback - 2 Jan 2014)
6.95