Format: PaperbackChange

on 9 December 2002
I do not usually review books, but when I saw this one had only one review of two stars, I felt justice required that the record be set straight. This is not the best book Lovesey has written, but it is solidly written, as are most of his books. As a matter of fact the ending is one of the more pleasing aspects of this mystery. Lovesey also manages not to fall into the trap so many "it's personal" police stories do. While there is genuine grief and anger, the book does not wallow in gloom or melodramatics. However, Lovesey's style/dialog is a bit staid and old-fashioned. It fits Diamond, even if it would sound strange from Rebus or Pascoe. Overall, Diamond Dust does nothing to change Lovesey's status as one of my "second ten" mystery writes. If you are a fan of the British police mystery, you will like this novel.
on 4 September 2013
I have read several Diamond books and find them very readable page-turners. This was no different and he behaves in character as before, this is one of the attractions. I also like the detail of Bath that is introduced. I have known Bath in the past and find myself visualising the situations. It certainly makes the series seem to take live in a real place. I often wonder about the accuracy of the geography but that might be my memory. Who cares anyway? it is not a geography text and it certainly makes me feel involved.

As another reviewer has said the solution was a bit of a disappointment. Up to the last few pages it was fine but I think any other ending would have been a bit of a problem. I sometimes wonder whether an entirely unknown person brought in at the end would have been almost as satisfying.

One thing that worries me a bit about the series as it has developed is the interaction between the characters. Chief Superintendent is a senior rank in the police. The interaction with subordinates he works with closely is fine but I doubt whether his superiors would behave as they do,especially as his record shows his success.
on 11 April 2003
An entertaining traditional whodunnit, which stands up well to the others in the series. The plot is pleasingly convoluted and the solution subtly sign-posted. My only criticism is that the characters act and dress far older than their stated ages - people in the 40s may have been like that 20 years ago, but no longer. I was also sorry that Harry the con-man faded away - perhaps we'll meet him again sometime.
on 29 August 2002
This book is about the murder of Detective Inspector Peter Diamond`s wife. She is shot shortly after the conviction of an organised criminal-a case her husband was involved with.
Police suspicion does fall on DI Diamond, and he decides to carry out his own investigation, to get to the bottom of his wife`s murder, as he feels that the police are getting nowhere. The book was devoted to this one case, and it began to feel rather overly long, as it struggled to hold interest. The book also had a slightly old fashioned feel to it as though it was written some time ago, although it was supposed to be up-to-date. However, this would not have been so bad if the book had a stronger ending. I felt that the ending of the book was very weak, and the solution didn`t really seem a strong enough motive for the murder, especially as some of the lines of enquiry that DI Diamond investigates during the book, could have lead to a more credible reason for the crime.
on 9 August 2015
really enjoyed this book until the end. There were 2 holes in the solution you could drive a bus through which often happens in crime novels but this was really beyond belief. A police search carried out for all I could tell as a result of magic ended in what would be in real life an inquiry into incompetence. POSSIBLE SPOILER - At the very end it seemed like nobody had thought to find out when a murder victim had last been seen at work or socially. If they had another murder would have been prevented and the plot would have collapsed. Because this is my first book by Peter Lovesey and I enjoyed it I will try again but wont pay full price will get the next from a book exchange, charity shop or library.
on 26 July 2015
Peter Lovesey is a brilliant author and Peter Diamond one of my favourite detectives.
on 15 August 2015
Superb plotting! This Peter Diamond book would make an excellent film.
on 6 January 2016
would make a great film.
good characterization
on 16 April 2014
I don't remember a lot about this book. His story which left more impression - enough to re-read it is The Tooth Tattoo.

This was not only a good plot but I tearned a tremendous amount about string quartets -of great interest - very superior !
on 13 January 2014
Ive really got to stop reading these Peter Diamond books as once i start one i cant put it down!