on 2 October 2013
Must confess, i'm not a dog lover. Nor am i drawn to WW2. My usual genre is modern military but what i read within the pages of Damien Lewis's 'War Dog' simply melted my heart.

It really is a fantastic read which portrays every human emotion between all depicted within the pages. Often heartbreaking, sometimes funny, none the less a true story of the bond between dog, master and eveyone who meets this wonderful partnership (except maybe the odd Policeman)
It is also a timely reminder of what sacrifice and horror the people of that time endured. Also, the debt we owe Robert and many of his countrymen for the perilous journey they made to join Britain and fight for freedom.

I will not spoil the fantastic adventure within this book by telling any of its contents but if, like me, you're not normally drawn to this type of book please, you must give it a go..........

It will melt your heart.
on 15 October 2013
After discovering my Dad's original work detailing his and Antis' life during WW2, I knew I had to record it for the future. I typed all his handwritten notes and copied all his work.

Damien has beautifully told their story as Dad had recorded it and I know Dad would have been thrilled with the book. It is a tribute to Antis, which after discovering a handwritten note by Dad confirms that this was his intention.

I conclude that you do not have to be a dog lover or a World War Two enthusiast to be blown away by this compelling read.
on 26 September 2013
I highly recommend this book.
Damien has done a wonderful job of telling the true story of my father and Antis.
It's a great read,full of action and very accurate as Damien worked from Dad's original manuscript.
If you like true WW11 stories involving Dog,s THIS IS THE REAL DEAL.
There is more to the story after the War so I really hope there is a sequel.
on 19 October 2013
Started reading it and couldn't put it down until I'd finished. The harrowing times that the Czech airman and his dog Antis lived through during the second world war is heart-wrenching. Damien paints a vivid picture in the reader's mind of the story.
My only complaint is that their post-war lives are condensed into two pages and yet from the content of those two pages, it is clear that their postwar lives continued to be very difficult and with some horrendous and very sad decisions for the airman to have to face. I wonder if these 2 pages will one day be a new book so that we can read the complete lives of both man and dog?
on 18 October 2013
War Dog: The no-man's land puppy who took to the skies

I purchased this title without knowing much about its history and can say without hesitation it has been one of the most well written, entertaining and intriguing titles I have read in quite some time. I couldn't put book the down as each chapter teased you into carrying on to follow the exploits of both protagonists during their real life encounters. A must purchase for all those interested in wartime history and man's best friend who is in this case a truly remarkable animal.

Damien Lewis has written this book with aplomb, a truly humbling story highlighting how much we owe our freedom to those brave souls and the extent of just how unique and deep the bond can be between man and dog.

A highly recommended purchase.

Ray Kelly
Hampshire
on 24 November 2013
This is an excellent book; it tells a story which is true, exciting and dramatic whilst shining a light on a section of WW11 that has largely escaped notice - the contribution of the Czech airmen who had already experienced their own war before escaping Europe and joining the British forces. The combination of brave man and brave dog is irresistible, partly at least due to the skill of an excellent writer: Damien Lewis has written an unsentimental but wholly satisfying account of the life and times of Robert and Antis. For a german shepherd owner such as myself - but equally for those who salute bravery and the bond between human and dog - this is a book to enjoy, reflect upon, and recommend to others.l
on 11 October 2013
From the moment I picked this book up I haven't been able to put it down. Sentimental fool that I am I cried at the end of the book. If you're an animal lover you must read about this bond of loyalty and trust between man and his loyal companion.
on 26 September 2013
Damien has done a wonderful job telling my fathers story as it really was.
Working from the original manuscript Dad wrote many years ago, Damien has retold the true story keeping the reader captivated. A book full of action, loyalty and devotion between man and dog, a very easy yet detailed read.

After World War Two, Dad and Antis unbelievingly experienced more death defying action this time from the hands of the Communists. This would make for a great sequel......
on 17 October 2014
My attention to this book was drawn after seeing it in the Sunday Times top 10 weekly paperback sales list. I read up on Amazon and bought it. I am glad I did as Damien Lewis has done a good job. The story is one of a man, Czech airman Robert Bozdech, who, amongst thousands of displaced military personnel, chose to take his fight back against the Nazis after their country was over run in WW2. He joined the French air force and then, after they fell, the R.A.F. as a gunner on Lancasters. Having first joined the French Air force, he crashed landed in the no mans land that existed in the "Phoney war" before Hitler's men stormed over into France. Whilst seeking refuge for him and his injured pilot he came across a small weak German Shepherd Puppy in a deserted Farm house, he put it inside his flying jacket and the rest, as they say is history. It is as if the dog repaid him for that one selfless act of kindness. The man and dog bonded for life.
This book has been researched from numerous documents and photos from Robert Bozdech's children.
It may seem sentimental but will appeal to anyone who likes a good story of "A man and his dog", but we must never forget the thanks we owe to men like Robert Bozdech and his fellow countrymen, who were brave enough to take the war right into Hitler's homeland in the cause of freeing Europe and yet still suffered persecution after the war when they returned back to the homes now under communism.
The fact that the story of Robert and the loyalty of Antis the dog is true does not surprise me. There are other stories of brave animals in wartime, right up to the present day conflicts.
Damien Lewis has hit the nail on the head with the story..
Sure my dogs "talk" to me every day, well, I imagine they do. Don't yours?
There is humour, sadness, love and loss for both, through the long dark years of the war, but the bond is extraordinary and that's no lie.
Buy it and enjoy it, I did.
on 28 November 2013
A fascinating story about man and dog who are thrown together by fate during WW2. It goes on to tell of the remarkable and unbreakable bond between man and dog. It made me cry and it made me laugh a lot.
A must for true dog people.