TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 December 2013
I read this in one day. My only (unreasonable) complaint would be that it didn't last longer (I am British, I must make a small and unimportant complaint. If you give me a rainbow I'll probably opine that it's a bit too showy). Because this book grew out of a Twitter account, it naturally is short and sweet. If you've been following the Twitter account - @soverybritish - you'll love this. If you haven't, have a look and if you're amused then you will enjoy this book. My Favourite chapter is chapter 21 - language barriers.
Another great thing about this book is that it sparks off your awareness of your own very british problems. Examples from my life are:

Using "Thank you for your input" to mean you've already disregarded whatever piffle someone said.

Feeling you've been massively over familiar by using "Kindest regards".

Maybe if we send more of our very British problems to @soverybritish we'll get another book next Christmas. I hope so :)
on 12 December 2014
I was prompted to buy this book after following 'very british problems' on twitter. Quite amusingly and worryingly I can relate to so many of the problems. Whenever anyone picks a copy up they sit there chuckling away. very good!
on 10 January 2014
Excellent read. Humorous to see how the author nailed down aspects of my personality. I am most definitely a sufferer of VBP who unfortunately finds himself attempting to survive life as an American. I was born in the wrong country :( If it wouldn't be too much of a bother, could I come live with you guys?
22 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2013
Captures all that is quintessentially British and does so in a forthright and engaging manner.
Would definitely recommend to all Brits
on 23 January 2014
This book is a tonic! Downloaded it on the train, then spent the journey wheezing with laughter and wiping tears from my eyes. Raced home and finished it the same evening. Would recommend to all my fellow Brits. Bloody brilliant! I am exhausted from laughing!
on 10 November 2013
Love the Twitter feed so I knew I'd be buying the book when it was announced. It's ridiculously funny and sadly, pretty much all true. Basically everyone I know is getting this for Christmas this year.
I bought this after reading some of the examples as tweets ~ it began as a Twitter profile, but became so popular, so quickly, that Rob Temple put his witticisms into a book.

I found it quite funny rather than hilarious; some of the sections are spot on (the train and office chapters, for instance, and the historical items are well thought out). Others are weaker; the drinking one should be entitled 'problems faced by serious drinkers',, though; indeed, the whole book does rather take the viewpoint that all English people are non-assertive, regular pub goers. Yes, yes, I get that it's funny snapshots rather than serious social comment! Then there were the observations that I loved but were repeated over and over in slightly different guises. The 'seeing someone you vaguely know and pretending to be absorbed in something on your phone' idea, for instance, must have been done at least 20 times.

Generally, I think I'd have been a bit disappointed by the amount of content if I'd bought this not knowing it came from a Twitter profile; it's padded out with cartoons and repetition to make a whole book, and sometimes there was only one short paragraph on a page. But for £1.49 it won't break the bank, and the funny bits are very funny indeed.
on 2 July 2016
I have enjoyed the Twitter feed and the Facebook page for some time and so I decided to take a peek at what the book had to offer. I have to admit I'm in two minds about it.

Positive:
There's some real laugh-out-loud stuff here, particularly if you're British and can see yourself in a lot of the observations. Looking at your thought processes and habits from an outsider's point of view is very enlightening, hilarious, and can force you to see how the things you thought were 'normal' are actually rather ridiculous.

Negative:
If, like me, you've followed the social media outlets, then you'll find that there's probably not an awful lot that you haven't already read. It's basically just a reproduction of what has been published online. Of course, on social media it is drip fed whereas this book pulls it all into one place.

In summary, this is an enjoyable book and something that is quite nice to dip into when you want a laugh. There's nothing very original if you've seen the social media but at least you don't have to trawl through a million tweets and Facebook posts to find something to tickle you. When I purchased this it was very cheap and therefore I don't feel it was bad value even though there wasn't a lot that was new.
on 1 January 2014
I'd been following on twitter for a while and decided to get the book as I didn't get it for Christmas. It is funny, so true and awfully British - can pretty much relate to it all, and will definitely keep going back for a chuckle ;-)
on 17 April 2016
Raised more than a smile or two, if I'm honest. Rob Temple seems to know me rather better than seems quite decent. Good to know one isn't the only one. Will continue at safe distance provided by Twitter.