on 15 August 2014
Bought for my sister - she was crying with laughter right from the start. A great stocking filler.
on 1 January 2014
I'd been following on twitter for a while and decided to get the book as I didn't get it for Christmas. It is funny, so true and awfully British - can pretty much relate to it all, and will definitely keep going back for a chuckle ;-)
on 20 August 2014
Well what a disappointment this book was. About 3 or 4 problems per page this was a very quick read. I think it took a total of 20 minutes to get through this book. It is a bit of a high price for the amount of content, if it was about 2 or 3 pounds cheaper I would have given it a better rating. This is the sort of book that would be given as a cheap christmas present to someone.
on 10 April 2016
Have you ever… waited patiently in a queue that turned out not to be a queue at all? Said you’re pleased with your new haircut, despite the deep inner sadness it’s causing you? Allowed your bladder to explode rather than wake a fellow plane passenger? … then you may be suffering from Very British Problems. Rob Temple has taken life’s most awkward problems and published them for all to see.
This book is really quite funny, looking at subjects from ‘playing it cool‘ to ‘unwritten rules‘ to ‘shopping slip-ups‘. “Being very dramatic about taking your phone in and out your jacket so it doesn’t look like you’re pocketing chocolate bars“.
I’m not sure how Temple does it, but 99% of the anecdotes in the book apply to my life and without a doubt, everyone reading it will think the same. “Going to your doctor and replying, ‘I’m fine, thank you’ when they ask you how you are”.
This is a book which, for me, should be dipped in and out of otherwise it could feel like a trawl through funnies which you force yourself to laugh at. It’s a great book to read 10 minutes of each time.
So what is this epidemic sweeping the nation?
• Acute embarrassment at the mere notion of ‘making a fuss’
• Extreme awkwardness when faced with any social greeting beyond a brisk handshake
• An unhealthy preoccupation with meteorology
Very British Problems are highly contagious. There is no known cure.
I can assure you, if you want a little ditty book to laugh your way through, this is definitely one to look out for. I’ll give it 4 stars as, whilst it’s funny, it probably won’t tickle everyone!
on 31 May 2014
Funny and very very true , spent the evening laughing out loud what reading this
Found out about this through their Twitter account , glad I bought it
on 21 April 2016
Exceptionally funny and blindingly accurate view of British people, and how Very British we are. I chuckled at so many of these whilst nodding in agreement as I saw in myself (a British person) so many of the remarks in this book. It is a wonderfully insightful, tongue in cheek view of people and the malady that is being so very British.
on 15 October 2014
Far too much paper - not enough text.
on 9 June 2015
Not British by birth, but fell in love with England the moment I set foot six years ago. I found myself nodding along while reading this tongue-in-cheek account of everyday problems. Highly recommended for anyone - whether you identify with the problems described or you want to learn more about the British culture.
on 3 November 2013
My friend gave me this book and it had me in stitches. I loved the essays on different types of weather, the test that lets you rate how awkward you are, the examples of British understatement on telly and the glossary... and the illustrations are so funny. Will definitely be giving it to my friends for Christmas.
on 23 December 2015
I bought this as a present for someone who I consider to be very British and could not help reading it on the train on my way to meet her. I sat like a loon smiling and chortling to myself! Really funny read with lots of 'so true' moments.