5.0 out of 5 stars Mahoosive!
I was given this book 2 weeks before I was going away, and I was supposed to bring it with me as a holiday read.
The fact is, I couldn't! Because I had a sneak at the first chapter, and I was hooked!
And, as usual, it took me only a weekend to read it.
Published 9 months ago by Isabella

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly too far fetched ...
I adore Matthews writing style and have read most of her books but this has been the only one I have felt disappointed by. This story looks at domestic violence and has a further complexity to do with culture and arranged marriage. Unfortunately the story was just too unbelievable for me, despite being well written as are all her titles, Matthews should stick to light...
Published 3 months ago by Shani Lannen

5.0 out of 5 stars Mahoosive!, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: A Place to Call Home (Hardcover)
And, as usual, it took me only a weekend to read it.
It's been a long time since I bought my very first Carole Matthews' novel, and it's been a crescendo of laughter, emotions, tears, more laughter, more emotion, captivating, beautifully written stories that you can't possibly put down until you reach the end. This book is no exception.
Away from a beating husband. Away from a hurtful past. Away from a shallow working life. Away from two overseas beloved sons. Four adults found themselves sharing a house and transform it into a home, and become as unite as a family, even more than a family, showing once again that the bond that links one's true family is not necessarily one of blood, but one of Love.
Solidarity, kindness, generosity, good will. There's plenty of those, and you get the feeling that the world is a fantastic place, after all.
Even if and when bad things happen.
A most welcome positive approach to life and its hard challenges.
What can I say?
If you are one of Carole's loyal readers, this is Carole at her very best.
If you don't know her yet, and are reading this, buy this book, you have my word, you'll love her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another triumph, 13 Jan 2014
Yet another wonderfully written book from Mrs Matthews
So easy to read with likeable characters you become to
Care about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, warm and wonderful!!, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: A Place to Call Home (Hardcover)
I was lucky enough to win an advance copy of the new Carole Matthews Novel 'A Place to Call Home'. All that was requested was that you read the book and then wrote a review. Not a hard task to do......... or so you may think.

How does one put in to words how the brilliant Carole Matthews takes us from the depths of domestic violence to the joys of truly finding that place we call home?

The answer? With her never ending talent of being able to draw you in so you are totally immersed in all of the eclectic characters in this emotional roller coaster of a read. From the first page to the very last you will find yourself unable to put it down!

Find your favourite reading position, grab a glass of something (or a cup of tea!), and prepare to lose a few hours of your life, trust me, you won't be able to put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 12 Jan 2014
I'm a big Carole Matthews fan and think this book is her best yet.
Thought provoking and sensitive subjects mixed with drama and of course some humour, make this a book you won't want to put down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, gripping from start to finish, 10 Jan 2014
This book is another great read from Carole Matthews. Could not put it down. The story grips you from start to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most beautiful book, 10 Jan 2014
I am a huge Carole Matthews fan and couldn't wait to get my teeth into this book. It was a brilliant, compelling and at times gut-wrenching story and I really cared, very deeply, about the characters as they sought out new beginnings and fresh love. New Years always make me assess the year that's past and the year ahead, just like in the equally as compelling Lover in Law, and that's what A Place to Call Home made me think about too - the desire to change (where necessary) and to better ones' lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Providing warmth and hope, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: A Place to Call Home (Hardcover)
Domestic violence and homelessness are not subjects I'm used to encountering when picking up a Carole Matthews book, but both of these are dealt with honestly and compassionately. With the usual flavouring of Carole Matthews' wit and humour, this delightful read provides hope for women in situations which may seem hopeless. After all, isn't that what January is all about - a New Year and the desire to change and improve our lives? Or at least to have a good read to tuck into and lose ourselves from our own lives for a while. This book certainly provides all this as well as a joyful, warm feeling. Warning though, this book is hard to put down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Carole Matthews winner, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: A Place to Call Home (Hardcover)
OMG Carole Matthews dose it again. A Place to Call Home, a story of four strangers who end up living together. All with their problems and how they over come them.

I was lucky enough to win a copy and from the first page you get drawn into the eclectic mix of characters. You soon become part of their lives and you are soon laughing with them and feeling their pain. Ayesha our main character has lots to over come and has to learn to live outside her caultral boundries and demanding husband.

Carole's book is a way of loosing yourself as this bad weather contines. A real warm feeling from each page. Another sure fire winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Place To Call Home, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: A Place to Call Home (Hardcover)
A wonderful book written about relationships. Carole Matthews captures the personalities of the characters perfectly. As you curl up to read this book, you find that your pulled into the world of the characters. At times a laugh out loud moment will be balanced with emotional decisions. Romance and heartache awaits, it is utterly delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't put it down!!, 13 Jan 2014
Absolutely loved this book, cried and laughed and really felt the characters thoughts. Carole has really captured the spirit of Ayesha. Thank you, loved it.

A Place to Call Home
A Place to Call Home by Carole Matthews (Paperback - 10 April 2014)