5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing follow up:-)
Published 9 months ago by Best Crime Books

3.0 out of 5 stars relaxing
Very predictable but never the less quite a good story if you don`t want to think too much. Very relaxing
Published 8 months ago by c pike

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing follow up:-), 7 Nov 2013
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I was so excited when I got an early copy of this book, because I only recently got around to reading the first book Rosie Hopkins Sweetshop of Dreams. I really enjoyed that and was excited to get stuck in to the follow up, which is set at Christmas (so perfect timing). First off I must just say that I LOVE Jenny Colgan covers, and this one is especially `christmassy' (I know that's not a word but you know what I mean). For those that haven't read the first book, although it's not a necessity I think it makes this book so much more enjoyable.

Although I really enjoyed the first Rosie book, I LOVED this one and it started from the first few pages. Mrs Colgan re-acquainted me with the main characters, Rosie and her live in boyfriend, grumpy but adorable Stephen; as well as Rosie's cranky aunt Lillian who now lives in a home. There are also numerous characters that have progressed from the first book and we see them back in the second such as Tina, Moray and the strange and quirky young boy Eddison.

I felt like I had practically moved into the village within a matter of pages and found myself holding the book everywhere I went on the off chance I could squeeze a few more pages in. This time around Rosie's family are making their way across the water from Oz and Rosie cannot wait to see them all. With the excitement of her family visiting, the running of the sweetshop and the general activity in the village; I almost felt as shocked as the characters were when a tragedy occurs in the village. This is a catalyst for quite a few things (which I cant details because that would be spoilers!).

However, with the tragedy to one side, we see loads of things happen as a result of it and this includes some sad moments, as well as some legendary moments! There are some very funny scenes that go on featuring Lillian and Rosie's Mum which had me giggling. These two particular characters make such a difference and are an absolute joy to read. There seemed to be a number of conclusions made with this follow up book which I was really chuffed about too.

All in all my review may sound vague, but I really wouldn't want to spoil this for anyone as it was such a brilliant book. I couldn't out it down from start to finish and think it was even better than the first one. It was full of love, laughter and plenty of tears and is without a doubt a perfect Christmas Present! Can't recommend it highly enough and think that JC fans who are itching to get this will be thrilled!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as always, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop (Hardcover)
I didn't realise this had been released. Walked into the supermarket and there it was...brilliant day which was then followed by a good few days with my head stuck in this book. I couldn't have asked for more (apart from maybe a third book)?! Just wonderful!

3.0 out of 5 stars relaxing, 6 Dec 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars A good festive read, 17 Nov 2013
This was the first book I have read by Jenny Colgan, but had heard great things about her and really was keen to read her festive book.

I love the cover of the book, it is so Christmasy and really puts you in the festive mood. I also love the recipes at the back of the book, this is a nice edition to a holiday read.

To be honest I found it difficult to get into the book, I felt really down about this as I was looking forward to it so much. I have come up with one reason why I found it so hard and this is because I have not read Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop. It does state that this is a stand alone book as well as a sequel, however I think it helps if you have read the story before as you will get background info on the characters, this is something that I felt was lacking in this book. But if you have read the first one, you wouldn't want background info again.

Once into the story I began to get some connection with the characters and really enjoyed the story. This is a story about Lucy, she owns a sweet shop in the village of Lipton, Derbyshire. She is living happily with her boyfriend Stephen who is a primary school teacher at the village school. One day a tragedy hits the village, which could potentially cause the sweet shop to close. The story sees Rosie trying to save the village, one she is not originally from, however she now feels part of. You find yourself crossing everything you have that Rosie and the villagers will be able to save their village.

Meanwhile Rosie's family spring on her that they will be over from Australia to see her this Christmas. Rosie is thrilled, however not so thrilled at the prospect of telling Stephen, he has a lot on at the moment and their relationship is not the best that it has been. All the while when her family are in Lipton, Rosie is considering a move to Australia back with her family, this seems like the best option and could be great for her.

I found Jenny Colgan's writing well rounded, there were times in the book where I was laughing and other times I actually felt quite sad. I feel this is a strength that Jenny has and is very skilled at creating many emotions in her book.

I would recommend anyone who wants to read this book to read Sweet shop of Dreams first as I think you may have a better connection with the characters from early on. This is something I wish I had done.

Since reading this book, I have bought other books by Jenny Colgan. I did enjoy this book and think that it is a nice Christmas read, the ending is just perfect.

I would like to thank the publisher for sending me this copy to review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Will Keep You Reading, 12 Aug 2014
This is the second book featuring Rosie Hopkins and her sweetshop but it can be read independently as the author does include a good synopsis of the first book in the prologue.
Rosie is happily living in Lipton running the sweetshop and in a relationship with Stephen. A series of events threaten the livlihood of the village as well as her relationship with Stephen - will they all live happily ever after?
Of course they all live happily ever after. This is the sort of book that you know before you have opened the book that it will have a happy ending even if tears (fictionally or in reality) have been shed on the way. To me this is "comfort" reading. The author is not going to make you step out from your comfort zone but sometimes it is good to settle back and relax into a book like this knowing that all be come right in the end.
I very much enjoyed this book. It has plenty of things going on and contains some oddly interesting characters - there is Edison the too serious 7 year old, Hetty the Lady of the Manor, Angie Rosie's Mum, Moray the gay GP, Anton the rather overweight gentleman who loves sweets........yes, I know they are all a bit cliched but they are great fun. It was lovely to reacquaint myself with some characters from the first book.
The story trots along as you would expect but there are a few unexpected twists just to keep your attention. It flows well and is easy to read and keep on reading even when I should have been going to bed!
This is a light, fun book with a gossipy feel and some romance. It is well written and certainly kept my attention. I shall certainly be looking out for some other books by this author. Another story about Rosie Hopkins would be nice. I am not sure where the author would go with the story but I am quite happy to find out!

2.0 out of 5 stars Loved the first book...not this one, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop (Hardcover)
I really wanted to love this book. Rosie Hopkins's Sweetshop of Dreams was one of my favourite reads, but this book is basically the same story, same conflict and same pressures. Nothing really new happens. Shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 25 Nov 2013
T. S. Dorr (London UK) - See all my reviews
I loved the original Rosie Hopkins sweetshop of dreams, so it was really lovely to "meet" up with all our old friends in this beautiful Christmas book.

I always look forward to reading jenny's books and this one certainly doesn't disappoint, it is festive, fun, poignant and a little sad in parts, but full of Christmas spirit and love.

I can recommend this highly and many other of Jenny's books such as the cupcake cafe books and the loveliest chocolate shop in Paris.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back to Lipton, 9 Nov 2013
Miss Jenny Bateman "Jenny B" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop (Hardcover)
Warning- this review will contain spoilers.

I only discovered Jenny Colgan in the last year or two and upon reading my first book of hers 'Christmas at the cupcake cafe' I fell quite utterly in love. Her style is both witty and accessible and her characters feel like real people, many of whom you wish you could meet. I took it upon myself to read her entire back catalogue (I'm still working through it) and whilst I thoroughly enjoyed all of the books I read, I found myself particularly attached to Rosie Hopkins and her sweetshop. Rosie was someone I could see myself wanting to be friends with, and her great aunt's tale of lost love broke my heart. So I was absolutely thrilled when I contacted Jenny on Twitter and she told me she had just finished a Christmas sequel! It is not often I buy a book the day of publication but I made a beeline for this one.
The story is set, of course around Christmas in Lipton. The sweetshop is ticking along nicely, Rosie and Stephen are now a happy couple and Rosie is still butting heads with Lady Lipton. But then a tragedy tears through the town that threatens not just Rosie's life in the village, but the very village itself.
It was everything I hoped it would be and more. Colgan writes Christmas in the way that Richard Curtis films it- it's warm, and inviting and funny and cosy. However there is also heartbreak, as ever. I often find myself in tears at her books and the closure of the Lilian and Henry storyline absolutely smashed my heart. I ended up in that situation where you have to take several deep breaths to try and catch your huge gulping tears and not get too overwhelmed. I failed miserably.
The ending, which I won't spoil- left me feeling as though I had been wrapped up in a huge soft jumper with a mug of hot chocolate. Jenny Colgan doesn't just write stories, she creates worlds that you want to be a part of. Getting to visit with Rosie again was an absolute pleasure and I couldn't fault it. In fact I'm wondering how easy it would be to persuade Colgan to make it a trilogy!
5 out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely read much like Jennys book since the cupcake cafe, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop (Hardcover)
Lovely read much like Jennys book since the cupcake cafe, totally absorbed into the characters, disappointed when they end, love Colgans books, its nice to read two eras from the main characters, well worth a read

5.0 out of 5 stars a modern take on Jane Austin, 19 Jun 2014
With Rosie and Stephen playing Mr Darcy and Elizabeth in a modern setting. Witty and full of wonderful rounded characters. I'm afraid I wolfed this down in one sitting and am now a bit bereft. Back to Kindle.......

Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop
Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop by Jenny Colgan (Hardcover - 7 Nov 2013)
11.95