5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what the doctor ordered!!
I love the pure escapism of this book and found myself laughing, crying and totally empathising with Sophie, the spolit but lovable heroine of this story. They only problem i had was the fact that i have lost a whole day of my life and am now dreadfully behind with everything. This book should come with a warning - 'Don't pick me up unless you have free 24 hours!'
Published on 18 Jun 2009 by M. J. Lardner

3.0 out of 5 stars OK-ish read with some good moments
Sophie Chesterton tells us her story in her own words; she is a spoilt little rich girl who is totally indulged by her wealthy father in terms of parties, jewellery, handbags, clothes and anything she wants. Until the day her boyfriend dumps her for her best friend and her father dies; Sophie’s perfect world comes crashing down around her perfect little ears. When...
Published 5 months ago by Skaty Katie

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book, 9 Jan 2013
I have just finished this book. It's so good I could not put the book down. It was so captivating real life characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 4 Jan 2013
Another brilliant Jenny Colgon read.
I wait for her books and tend to read In 1go, they are easy to settle down with in spring, summer, Autumn and winter. Never fails

5.0 out of 5 stars Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend, 29 Dec 2012
Colleen Brown "funkychick" (Newcastle upon Tyne, Englanfd) - See all my reviews
As usual, Jenny Colgan has written a brilliant book - I really got to know the characters very quickly and found I was unable to put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 16 Dec 2012
Jenny Colgan is a brilliant author and this book is very hard to put down! I read it in 2 days and im just going to download another one of her books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely uplifting book, 7 May 2012
V. Wright - See all my reviews
This was the second Jenny Colgan book I had read and I wasn't disappointed. I was engrossed from the first chapter. it made me laugh and root for the characters from the off. My reason for buying this book in the first place was a good review. It only took me 3 days to read. Great for a weekend away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend it enough., 14 July 2011
I've read a couple of Jenny Colgan's books now, the others I did enjoy but they were nothing to write home about whereas this one - I LOVE it! Sophie has the potential of being a bitchy, unlikeable character, as she seems to be in the beginning of the book but as her life unravels you see her stripped back more and more and she actually comes across as rather sweet and vulnerable and very much likeable person. Most of all I loved the characters in the book, especially the boys and Julius. There was just something about the story the way it was told and the people in it that made it a pleasure to read, I was genuinely really disappointed when I finished reading it and the next book I read, although good on it's own merits, I couldn't help comparing to this one, it seemed simple and immature in comparison. I'm definitely going to try more of the authors books now and hope I find another 'gem' (sorry!!) like this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 20 May 2011
This book takes time to get into it, but in the end its more than worth it. This is about how a women struggles to make end meet after her rich father passed away. Lucky for her she has people around her to help her through the bad times and also on the way find love. Jenny Colgan has expressed and shown real life situations and how life can turn bad abruptly. In my opinion she ends up with mr right (what did you expect) and is exactly what is expected. BUY, BUY, BUY is the only thing i can say as this book is definetly worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Diamonds are a girls best friend!, 2 Nov 2010
Great book, easy to read and a nice lighthearted story of how money doesnt make you happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually made me laugh out loud..., 13 Aug 2010
Mrs. Karen Van Zon "KvZ" (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This was a great book. The story is about a rich, spoilt (sp? spoiled), almost-It girl who loses it all (maybe temporarily). She moves in with a flat full of men - art students, a soldier and a Wolverine and learns how to, well, get a life.
I actually felt myself choking up with laughter a few times - the loo cleaning episode had me spluttering for ages...
The dialogue never feels false and the story seemed completely possible (not always the case in chick-lit).
Definitely worth a read - I'm off to find more of Jenny Colgan's from the library now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jenny Colgan Could Be Another Best Friend, 28 Jun 2010
M. J. Saxton (Dewsbury, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
My first piece of advice is: get into reading Jenny Colgan. She has an unobvious, witty style that brings grins and giggles all the way through this book.

She's a gifted writer in a way that's not easy to spot. The story could be labelled chick-lit, holiday read, light reading, but actually it's a really life-affirming book, not something you necessarily expect from literature like this. It's the style and attitude of the author that takes this tales of money and loss into a league of its own.

The story is similar to many on the shelves in our supermarkets and airports every year. Jenny Colgan has a brilliant lightness of touch that provokes a greater depth of feeling.

It's a joyous tale of how spoilt girl Sophie loses her money and has to earn her own living. Excellently prologued by a "Now" section, it isn't until a fair way into to the book that you realise she never said who the man she shares her life with is.

That isn't overwhelmingly important, but it keeps you thinking. I loved the depiction of the student flat on the Old Kent Road - the general squalor, parties and late night talking sessions (fast food included). Womaniser Cal and quiet nice boy Eck pan out neatly as character; Carena and Philly are rich-bitch-tastic, and their end is neat, but not overplayed and much more satisfactory for that; Grace and Kelly are comic inventions par excellence: funny and quirky while not dominating the story.

There are just enough characters, it's not an overpopulated novel, it feels right. In fact, Jenny Colgan gets it right on so many levels, I can only hope that her other books are up to this standard, and I will be buying them to find out.

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend by Jenny Colgan (Paperback - 5 Dec 2013)