Format: PaperbackChange

on 18 June 2009
I love the pure escapism of this book and found myself laughing, crying and totally empathising with Sophie, the spolit but lovable heroine of this story. They only problem i had was the fact that i have lost a whole day of my life and am now dreadfully behind with everything. This book should come with a warning - 'Don't pick me up unless you have free 24 hours!'
on 5 August 2009
I haven't given 5 stars for ages but I really enjoyed this one - one of the author's best. Have passed it on to my 16 year old daughter. Well worth a read.
on 17 November 2012
I picked this book basically for two main reasons: because I wanted to relax with a light reading and because I wanted to find once again that type of characters Mrs Colgan had managed to create for a previous book of hers I had read not that long ago - Sweetshop of Dreams: well described, funny, down-to-heart as if they were real.
Well. If I was not at all disappointed by the second, definitely I was by the first. OK, I told you, I chose this book 'cause I was looking for a reading I could easily carry on with even when I was knackered at late night. But maybe in this case reading was too... easy. I soon found out that the plot of this book, which in Sweetshop of Dreams started to lack only by the last third of the story on, was really shabby indeed.

Sophie Chesterton is awfully rich, deeply loved and extremely beautiful. She has all a girl can dream of and if she wants more she doesn't even need to ask. Her dad loves her to bits and would do anything - anything! - to make her happy. Until the day this rich lifestyle comes to an end and Sophie finds herself forced to learn how to carry on on her own.

Of course this is a girlish book. No doubts on that, non even the slightest. The title, the sparkling cover, the layout: this book is nomore than a girls' magazine - just packed in a book. Still maybe I expected a bit more than those hundreds of romantic clichés Jenny Colgan generously squeezed within its pages. Sophie's new life is turning up being surrounded by fortunate events and stunningly beautiful guys, and even when crap is at its highest there's always a well-breed lower-class bloke ready to support her. OK, fair enough I thought. I understand this is what one looks for in such a book, to find an ideal life in an ideal world - no one would dream to find in there the same bitter crap they face day by day in their own, wouldn't they? - and I do understand that that's what the target this book was written for expects to find, so... no surprise I found it sappy. The reason why I still give it a 3-star rating despite all the above is because characters didn't disappoint me. Once again they were as real as fictional people can be. Standing ovation to that. If only also the plot was as real, I'd have given it a full 5-star rating.
on 8 April 2013
I enjoyed this chick lit. I have read many of Colgan' s novels and I have laughed with most of them. This book was funny at times, but there were few. The protagonist was different to your usual female heroine, because she is a character that you dislike, that is until she finds the revelation that helps her see that money and status does not always provide happiness, a cliche but done with humour and realism. I shall continue to read Colgan' s novels. I recommend Amanda's Wedding.
on 18 February 2010
I originally discovered Jenny Colgan by picking up here book Where Have All the Boys Gone? I loved it and was unable to put it down! So when I saw her latest book Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend in a local supermarket, I couldn't resist picking it up.

The book tells the story of a socialite-IT-girl Sophie Chesterton whose life evolves around parties, clothes, diamonds and all things shiny and sparklie, all paid for by her rich father. All seems perfect in Sophie's world until disaster strikes, daddy's gone and so is daddy's money. Sophie is forced for the first time in her life to slum it: moving in with University students, having to clean to pay her way (rather than have a housemaid), working long hours in a low paid job photographing page 3 models (rather than her voluntary work in an excluse fashion photographers), etc.

In the book you follow Sophie's journey as she deals with her fathers death, builds a relationship with her step mother, discovers love, makes new friends and rediscovers old ones, finding out about the interesting and funny experiences that happen along the way. One particularly funny scene is when Sophie uses oven cleaner to clean the toilet, one of the boy students she lives with uses the toilet and Sophie hear's a scream from the bathroom. Hilarious!

In the end you come to care for Sophie and really appreciate the journey and life changing experiences she undertakes along the way. If you love chick-flick-books, a bit of entertaining, light reading, you'll love this book.
on 25 March 2009
Another Colgan classic. Diamonds are a girls best friend is humerous and addictive - I couldnt put the book down! Definitely one of my favourite's from the Colgan collection.....Buy it!
on 28 January 2009
A really addictive read - fast-paced and funny, but with real heart. Classic Colgan at her best. I loved it!
on 14 July 2011
I've read a couple of Jenny Colgan's books now, the others I did enjoy but they were nothing to write home about whereas this one - I LOVE it! Sophie has the potential of being a bitchy, unlikeable character, as she seems to be in the beginning of the book but as her life unravels you see her stripped back more and more and she actually comes across as rather sweet and vulnerable and very much likeable person. Most of all I loved the characters in the book, especially the boys and Julius. There was just something about the story the way it was told and the people in it that made it a pleasure to read, I was genuinely really disappointed when I finished reading it and the next book I read, although good on it's own merits, I couldn't help comparing to this one, it seemed simple and immature in comparison. I'm definitely going to try more of the authors books now and hope I find another 'gem' (sorry!!) like this!
on 14 June 2011
It's difficult to feel sympathy for the unlikable, spoiled little rich girl and her change from having it all to lying in the gutter. The fact that she keeps going back to her 2 "friends" annoyed me as well. With nothing but 4 and 5 star reviews, I expected more.
on 21 January 2014
I remember when i first saw this book in the supermarket as a teenager. I had never heard of the author but i was strangely attracted to the blue/teal cover and shiny sparkling looking silver title. I was around 16 at the time and had just really started to give in to reading. When i got back i opened it and started to read.... i put it down the next morning once i have finished it.
This book is one of easy-going novels that makes you laugh and smile for no reason i found the story kept me interested in to the end with its witty-ness and constant drama.
I can admit that this book has not left my book shelf and has been re-read 3 or 4 times since.
Go ahead but be warned you might not be able to put it down.