5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what the doctor ordered!!
I love the pure escapism of this book and found myself laughing, crying and totally empathising with Sophie, the spolit but lovable heroine of this story. They only problem i had was the fact that i have lost a whole day of my life and am now dreadfully behind with everything. This book should come with a warning - 'Don't pick me up unless you have free 24 hours!'
Published on 18 Jun. 2009 by M. J. Lardner

3.0 out of 5 stars OK-ish read with some good moments
Published 9 months ago by Skaty Katie

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what the doctor ordered!!, 18 Jun. 2009
M. J. Lardner "Jojo" (England) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars OK-ish read with some good moments, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend (Paperback)
Sophie Chesterton tells us her story in her own words; she is a spoilt little rich girl who is totally indulged by her wealthy father in terms of parties, jewellery, handbags, clothes and anything she wants. Until the day her boyfriend dumps her for her best friend and her father dies; Sophie’s perfect world comes crashing down around her perfect little ears. When the terms of her father’s will is revealed Sophie finds there is no money left, and a clause in the will dictates that Sophie has to go out in the world with nothing, find somewhere to live and support herself. She is literally kicked out by her stepmother and this is where it became unrealistic. I was getting annoyed with the book by this point, and felt it was a bit juvenile, and wasn’t expecting much as I really didn’t like Operation Sunshine. It did pick up though as we follow Sophie’s journey as she slums it. She moves into a complete dive with a group of students and cleans the place instead of paying rent. She takes a low-paid job photographing page three models. She finds out who her real friends are and discovers a lot about herself. I wasn’t convinced by the relationship side of things though and wasn’t sure where Jenny was leading us; not to the actual ending, I didn’t think! It was an OK read and had some very good moments but not a classic for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars really like this one!, 5 Aug. 2009
Sue (hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I haven't given 5 stars for ages but I really enjoyed this one - one of the author's best. Have passed it on to my 16 year old daughter. Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful riches to rags story, 11 May 2009
Kathy Kaiser - See all my reviews
Jenny Colgan has done a fantastic job of making the old story of a girl who has it all and then loses it completely original. How Sophie Chesterton deals with her change in fortunes is hilarious, but also remarkably touching. She learns hard lessons but is ultimately victorious in life and love. I was laughing out loud in parts and teary-eyed in others. Colgan is an author who succeeds at writing a deeper kind of chick lit novel. 'Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend' is a winner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Light, funny reading, 17 Nov. 2012
I picked this book basically for two main reasons: because I wanted to relax with a light reading and because I wanted to find once again that type of characters Mrs Colgan had managed to create for a previous book of hers I had read not that long ago - Sweetshop of Dreams: well described, funny, down-to-heart as if they were real.
Well. If I was not at all disappointed by the second, definitely I was by the first. OK, I told you, I chose this book 'cause I was looking for a reading I could easily carry on with even when I was knackered at late night. But maybe in this case reading was too... easy. I soon found out that the plot of this book, which in Sweetshop of Dreams started to lack only by the last third of the story on, was really shabby indeed.

Sophie Chesterton is awfully rich, deeply loved and extremely beautiful. She has all a girl can dream of and if she wants more she doesn't even need to ask. Her dad loves her to bits and would do anything - anything! - to make her happy. Until the day this rich lifestyle comes to an end and Sophie finds herself forced to learn how to carry on on her own.

Of course this is a girlish book. No doubts on that, non even the slightest. The title, the sparkling cover, the layout: this book is nomore than a girls' magazine - just packed in a book. Still maybe I expected a bit more than those hundreds of romantic clichés Jenny Colgan generously squeezed within its pages. Sophie's new life is turning up being surrounded by fortunate events and stunningly beautiful guys, and even when crap is at its highest there's always a well-breed lower-class bloke ready to support her. OK, fair enough I thought. I understand this is what one looks for in such a book, to find an ideal life in an ideal world - no one would dream to find in there the same bitter crap they face day by day in their own, wouldn't they? - and I do understand that that's what the target this book was written for expects to find, so... no surprise I found it sappy. The reason why I still give it a 3-star rating despite all the above is because characters didn't disappoint me. Once again they were as real as fictional people can be. Standing ovation to that. If only also the plot was as real, I'd have given it a full 5-star rating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fun., 8 April 2013
I enjoyed this chick lit. I have read many of Colgan' s novels and I have laughed with most of them. This book was funny at times, but there were few. The protagonist was different to your usual female heroine, because she is a character that you dislike, that is until she finds the revelation that helps her see that money and status does not always provide happiness, a cliche but done with humour and realism. I shall continue to read Colgan' s novels. I recommend Amanda's Wedding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jenny Colgan Could Be Another Best Friend, 28 Jun. 2010
M. J. Saxton (Dewsbury, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
My first piece of advice is: get into reading Jenny Colgan. She has an unobvious, witty style that brings grins and giggles all the way through this book.

She's a gifted writer in a way that's not easy to spot. The story could be labelled chick-lit, holiday read, light reading, but actually it's a really life-affirming book, not something you necessarily expect from literature like this. It's the style and attitude of the author that takes this tales of money and loss into a league of its own.

The story is similar to many on the shelves in our supermarkets and airports every year. Jenny Colgan has a brilliant lightness of touch that provokes a greater depth of feeling.

It's a joyous tale of how spoilt girl Sophie loses her money and has to earn her own living. Excellently prologued by a "Now" section, it isn't until a fair way into to the book that you realise she never said who the man she shares her life with is.

That isn't overwhelmingly important, but it keeps you thinking. I loved the depiction of the student flat on the Old Kent Road - the general squalor, parties and late night talking sessions (fast food included). Womaniser Cal and quiet nice boy Eck pan out neatly as character; Carena and Philly are rich-bitch-tastic, and their end is neat, but not overplayed and much more satisfactory for that; Grace and Kelly are comic inventions par excellence: funny and quirky while not dominating the story.

There are just enough characters, it's not an overpopulated novel, it feels right. In fact, Jenny Colgan gets it right on so many levels, I can only hope that her other books are up to this standard, and I will be buying them to find out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, unable to put it down!, 18 Feb. 2010
Antony Simpson (UK) - See all my reviews
I originally discovered Jenny Colgan by picking up here book Where Have All the Boys Gone? I loved it and was unable to put it down! So when I saw her latest book Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend in a local supermarket, I couldn't resist picking it up.

The book tells the story of a socialite-IT-girl Sophie Chesterton whose life evolves around parties, clothes, diamonds and all things shiny and sparklie, all paid for by her rich father. All seems perfect in Sophie's world until disaster strikes, daddy's gone and so is daddy's money. Sophie is forced for the first time in her life to slum it: moving in with University students, having to clean to pay her way (rather than have a housemaid), working long hours in a low paid job photographing page 3 models (rather than her voluntary work in an excluse fashion photographers), etc.

In the book you follow Sophie's journey as she deals with her fathers death, builds a relationship with her step mother, discovers love, makes new friends and rediscovers old ones, finding out about the interesting and funny experiences that happen along the way. One particularly funny scene is when Sophie uses oven cleaner to clean the toilet, one of the boy students she lives with uses the toilet and Sophie hear's a scream from the bathroom. Hilarious!

In the end you come to care for Sophie and really appreciate the journey and life changing experiences she undertakes along the way. If you love chick-flick-books, a bit of entertaining, light reading, you'll love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Colgan Classic, 25 Mar. 2009
Heather Baxter (Co Durham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Another Colgan classic. Diamonds are a girls best friend is humerous and addictive - I couldnt put the book down! Definitely one of my favourite's from the Colgan collection.....Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 28 Jan. 2009
A really addictive read - fast-paced and funny, but with real heart. Classic Colgan at her best. I loved it!

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend by Jenny Colgan (Paperback - 5 Dec. 2013)