4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent rib-tickler

Published on 26 Oct 2010 by Tammy84

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing read, 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: Operation Sunshine (Paperback)
I was expecting more from this book but the plot just got even more ridiculous and so unrealistic. I thought it would be a nice girly chick lit but it ended up turning into a Nancy Drew/ Hardy boys. I just felt like abandoning it halfway and even when I was around 12 pages towards the finish. It's a shame because it had looked promising at the start but most of it was cringe worthy. All characters were over exaggerated including the main one Evie, who came across as the biggest loser in the world.

3.0 out of 5 stars Operation Sunshine & Showers, 25 April 2011
This review is from: Operation Sunshine (Paperback)
Hmmm well I am a Jenny Colgan fan but this novel wasn't quite as good as Amanda's wedding (Amazing debut novel) but far better than the average Chick Lit writer.

Evie the main character was fun, witty with an awkwardness that is endearing. Evie is in need of a good holiday but short on offers. When her employers her a "business trip" she cant refuse.

Operation Sunshine is a fun lighthearted read. Not quite as sharp a read as Amanda's wedding or as attention grabbing as The Good, The Bad and The Dumped but it is worth a read if you looking to while away a few hours on a sun lounger.

1.0 out of 5 stars just awful, 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: Operation Sunshine (Paperback)
My first Jenny Colgan book was Rosie Hopkin's Sweetshop of Dreams. Having loved it I went on to read the Cupcake Cafe and others all good until I tried Operation Sunshine, I never read the middle I couldn't believe the change of style then I looked at the dates to find she started like that and thankfully moved on to a very readable style. If you want to read about girls getting drunk night after night going on a business trip to the south of France and getting drunk because it is free then you will enjoy this otherwise don't buy it or any others written before Rosie Hopkins. It takes a lot for me to give up on a book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Annoying, 27 July 2013
Just wanted to get to the end of the book, I found the story and subject annoying and struggled to finish it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as usual, 10 Dec 2007
This review is from: Operation Sunshine (Hardcover)
This book could have been great - it had potential. Good plot, nice main character. But it just felt light and flabby really. I like Colgan's books and I think she can be really, really funny. But I'd like to see her stretch herself more. But I will read her next one (if it sounds interesting!). Every author has one or two 'off' books and deserves a good chance. It can't be easy writing a book every year or two.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent rib-tickler, 21 Oct 2008
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Operation Sunshine (Paperback)
Despite my best intentions to read a wide variety of literature to 'broaden my mind,' sometimes I just have to reach for a chick-lit novel. The good ones are a breath of fresh air - easily digestible and relaxing, and you can get through them in a couple of days. Operation Sunshine is one of the good ones. Heat Magazine dubbed it "a perfect sunlounger read," and I have to say I'm inclined to agree. I wasn't fortunate enough to be reading it on a sunlounger, but it was very enjoyable nonetheless.

The action centres around Evie, a receptionist in a high profile cosmetic surgery. Feeling miserable, Evie starts fantasising about going on holiday. All the holidays she's ever been on in her life have gone wrong in some shape or form so she's not a huge holiday fan, but feels she ought to try again. After all, people rave about them so they can't be that bad, can they?

Soon enough, Evie gets the chance to find out as she's invited to accompany the two doctors she works for to the South of France. It's a plastic surgery conference, so Evie is hoping for the chance of sun, sea, sand and hopefully sex with a hot rich doctor. However, things don't quite pan out that way when she realises it's more than just a conference. There's something rather untoward going on involving highly questionnable surgery on a cruise ship, which by a scary coincidence has been designed by her childhood friend. The more Evie pokes around for information, the more disturbing the story becomes and she feels she has to intervene for the sake of many people. And that's when things start getting interesting...

Operation Sunshine is a right giggle! From the very beginning you'll appreciate the witty characters and the situations they find themselves in, and as the plot thickens, things just get better. Right in the middle of the action, I found myself laughing out loud on several occasions. This really is an ace read; it's fun, humourous and has a dash of romance - everything a girl could want from a book in this genre. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing, 4 Aug 2009
This review is from: Operation Sunshine (Paperback)
I have always enjoyed Jenny Colgan's books up until now but this was awful. It was so unrealistic and I was almost embarrassed for her as read it. It was an effort to keep going (for some reason I always find I have to finish a book even if it's dreadful) and, even as it got to the end, I could very easily have put it down and not bothered.

The characters in this were just not believeable. The brothers just too overdone etc etc. The storyline so far fetched it made me want to laugh (I suppose I should be glad at least something made me laugh).

I think it's fair to say I hated this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 4 Jan 2008
Ms. S. R. Mayhew "Sez Bruv" (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Operation Sunshine (Hardcover)
Jenny colgan is without a doubt one of my favorite authors, but this book was such a disappointment. It had all the makings of a good story, yet colgan failed to make this anything but predictable and rather boring. All her other books have been exciting, interesting and immpossible to put down, however that is not the case with operation sunshine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Operation Sunshine (Paperback)
This was the only Jenny Colgan novel that I hadn't read, despite having purchased it ages ago. When i finally got around to reading it, i just couldn't get into it. The plot, setting and characters did not appeal to me, none of the characters were in any way interesting or realistic and the whole novel was completely unlike anything else she has ever written that I had to keep checking the cover to make sure it had her name on the front. Sorry Jenny, I love all of your other novels, this one just fell way short of the usual high standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fabulous book - A really great holiday relaxing read., 25 May 2014
Rachel - uk (colchester, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Operation Sunshine (Paperback)
Really fabulous book - A really great holiday relaxing read. I really connected with the characters and love Jenny Colgan's way of writing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Operation Sunshine
Operation Sunshine by Jenny Colgan (Paperback - 5 Dec 2013)