5.0 out of 5 stars Kate is back on top form, I just loved this.
Published 1 month ago by Emma Crowley

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Disappointed
Published 4 months ago by Booklover

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Kate is back on top form, I just loved this., 12 Aug 2014
Emma Crowley "Emma Crowley" (Waterford, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Kate Furnivall is back with her seventh book The Far Side of the Sun and it certainly does not disappoint. I am a huge Kate Furnivall fan and eagerly await each new release. So much so that I never even bother to read the blurb to see whether I like the sound of the book or not I just buy it as soon as it comes out. I have to admit to being slightly disappointed with her last offering Shadows on the Nile but am really pleased to say Kate has for me returned to sparkling form with The Far Side of the Sun .I love how Kate's books are set in such contrasting countries - Russia, Malaya etc and once you start reading you are whisked away on an adventure to such exotic , exciting settings. It's evident Kate spends a lot of time and effort researching the people and places behind her books and this is what makes her books such enjoyable, engrossing reads.
This book had me hooked right from the opening line and held my attention for several hours' right until the very last word. It shows how one chance encounter can alter the course of someone's lie forever and led to devastating consequences. Set in Nassau , the Bahamas against the backdrop of World War Two. It is 1943, Dodie Wyatt is a young girl living alone struggling to make ends meet working as a waitress in a local hotel. She is walking home late one night from work when she stumbles across a man in alleyway who has been stabbed and left for dead. Although she hasn't much to offer Dodie listens to her conscience and takes the man Mr.Morrell to her beachside shack and attempts to heal his wound. Despite her efforts at saving him Morrell dies and so begins the upheaval of the life Dodie once had. With no other option she reports the murder to the police, but someone is not happy and her house is torched and burns to the ground .Who is out to get Dodie and determined to keep the murder of Morrell a secret? Soon a small act of kindness takes Dodie out of her comfort zone leaving her involved in a dangerous world of secrets, violence and even death.
Ella Sanford comes from such a contrasting world to Dodie. She is married to Reg Sanford who works in the colonial office alongside the governor of the islands -the Duke of Windsor. Ella is trapped in an unhappy marriage where she feels unloved and forgotten, she spends her days helping others on the island with her charity work. But what link has she to Morrell and how can she hep Dodie solve the murder.Ella appeared quite a weak character at the beginning just another one of those women you read about in books who don't do much except support their men at events and spend their days attending luncheons etc. But as the story progressed Ella exposed her true character one of strength, determination and above all else a woman who is willing to fight for what she believes in and the man she loves the most.
Ella and Dodie are thrown together through the discovery of a gold coin and soon begins a riveting, action packed adventure full of wonderful and at times devious characters in the quest to solve the murder mystery. There is a lot more happening on this small island tropical, magical island than at first appears and bigger players are at work in the murder of Morrell and soon another murder has occurred of the one of the richest men in the world- Harry Oakes. What is happening on this island and who is determined to keep Dodie and Ella quiet at all costs. Dodie and Ella are but small bit players in a much wider picture which if uncovered would cause scandal throughout the island. Dodie meets Flynn who seems to know an awful lot more than he lets on but nonetheless he helps Dodie through several awful experiences. Ella is forced to suffer a bodyguard accompanying her at all times as her husband fears for her safety on the island but soon Dan (the bodyguard) may become more of a comfort than she realises .
The story progressed at a cracking pace, there was never any lull, I loved every word. The murder f Morrell was only the beginning of the unravelling of a much wider serious of events that Dodie may never have been privy to if she had not stopped by a dark alleyway on that fateful night. Just when I thought I had the whole mystery solved and I knew who the murder was and why Kate threw a few spanners in the works which only added to my further enjoyment of the book. I would never have guessed the outcome , it just shows what a clever author Kate is. I loved all the elements of this book- the characters, setting,romance, mystery and the emotions it made me feel and the historical background. It was interesting to read after I had finished the book that some of the characters were real and the murder of Harry Oakes had actually happened. So much so that I had to google Nassau at that time to find out more.If you have never read anything by Kate Furnivall before I urge you to pick up The Far Side of the Sun, it's a fantastic, rollercoaster read leaving the reader guessing right until the very end. I can't wait for her next book to be published -not long to wait `The Italian Wife' is out on Kindle in November. When you have read this you then have the pleasure of six more compelling reads from Kate to enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 5 Jan 2014
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is a murder mystery set in Nassau in 1943 and based loosely on a real life case. It centres around two women, Dodie and Ella whose lives differ greatly but when Dodie finds a strange man lying stabbed in the street, events bring the two of them together to find out exactly what happened. It is a story of danger, intrigue, cover ups and conspiracies that are drip fed to the reader as the story unwinds, as well as romances simmering along simultaneously.

I really enjoyed the Bahamian setting, the author has done a fantastic job of recreating wartime Nassau, with its population, under the Governorship of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, determining to carry on as normal. It is very glamorous and glitzy, yet at the same time we see the poverty that the local people live in.

I liked both characters, Dodie and Ella, but must admit to a soft spot for Ella - I just felt as if I got to know her more. I liked the way she wanted to help the local people and the air force personnel who were stationed there. She is rather a complex character, on the one hand she wants to be totally loyal to those she loves, but also has an extremely contradictory side to her. I also liked Dodie, but she just didn't appeal to me in the same way that Ella did.

To sum up, this is a really good read that had me googling to see which of the characters were real and which were fictitious. It moves along at a good pace, towards a very satisfying, but not altogether happy conclusion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Elegant and intriguing, 25 Aug 2014
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This book starts slowly and I was tempted to give up very early in the story - I am very glad that I didn't but potential readers need to understand that the narrative pace here is leisurely.

The story is set in the Bahamas during the Second World War when the Duke of Windsor was Governor General. It deals almost exclusively with the ex-patriot white community and I was a little uncomfortable that the only two major, named black characters (a local healer and a maid) are seen as wise and knowing in a way that none of the white characters are. Apparently the story is based on true events of which I wasn't aware until I read the notes at the end of the novel.

Dodie is poor and has been victimised by her family and others but she helps a dying man when she finds him by the roadside. This involves her in a lot of trouble and intrigue as she tries to find justice. Dodie is admirably steadfast in her desire to get justice and stands up for the truth in every available opportunity. Her story is compared and contrasted with that of Ella, a society woman who mixes in very different circles and for whom deception and evasion is standard.

Once I had adjusted to the pace of the book I was captivated by the descriptive writing style and engrossed in the whole unravelling story. The author handles the different themes elegantly and creates an atmosphere of tension, impending doom and glorious scenery. It reminded me a lot of "The Information Officer" by Mark Mills. I received a free copy of this novel from teh publishers via NetGalley.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic, thrilling, breathtaking, 19 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Far Side of the Sun (Paperback)
Kate Furnivall never disappoints. I LOVE her books. Every time I start one of her novels I'm transported to another world, beautifully written and researched, and the twists and turns of a fabulous romantic journey. The Far Side of the Sun is an explosively paced tropical adventure that had me ripping through the pages to get to the end. It's a thriller as well as a love story (two love stories), with a gritty, violent core that contrasts magnificently with the sultry sweltering paradise of 1940s Bahamas. I adored Dodie and Ella, the way we switch between their lives, alternating danger and glamour, and the men are knee-wobblingly gorgeous. Flynn! Oh my. I also thought the way Furnivall wove in real-life characters, most notably the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, added another dimension of richness and authenticity. This book truly has it all - excitement, escapism, romance, secrets galore - and is a perfect literary indulgence.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mystery and intrigue!, 1 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Far Side of the Sun (Paperback)
Dodie is a young girl struggling to make ends meet in 1940's Bahamas. On returning from work one day, she finds an injured man, offers him assistance and is then drawn into a web of mystery and intrigue that puts her life at risk. Ella, is a member of Bahamian high society who also becomes embroiled in the mystery. Her comfortable world changes as she begins to dig deeper into events on the island.

The story of both characters combines to produce a thoroughly satisfying novel that is both crime mystery and romance. It kept me interested until the end and is told at a gentle pace with great descriptive writing. I'll be looking out for Kate Furnivall's next book with anticipation!

*I received a free copy through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED this book, gripping from cover to cover!, 1 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Far Side of the Sun (Paperback)
I adored this book, from cover to cover. If you've read other books by Kate Furnivall then you are guarenteed to enjoy this one. If you're yet to read one of Kate's books - do it! For me, they provide escapism from a busy life, gripping stories from start to finish, some romance (who doesn't like a bit of romance?) and historical drama. On top of that, I always feel like I've learnt a bit about the history of the setting - for this book, the Bahamas, but for others Kate has taken us to Russia, China and Malaysia.

For me, this is one of Kate's best books, although I am hard pressed to chose between them. I can't wait for the next book to come out - roll on next Summer!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Far Side Of The Sun, 9 May 2014
This murder, mystery, intriguing and adventurous novel is set in 1943 in Nassau in the Bahamas.
Kate has a knack of inventing interesting characters, and the main ones in this story are Ella and Dodie whose lives are so very different. Essentially it is based on a true story set when the Duke and Duchess of Windsor were governing the island.
I must admit I warmed more to Ella, who I felt was unhappily married, and yearned for more in her life. She spent her time helping out with the Red Cross, and helping the poor people on the island.
Dodie had a unhappy past, and many demons and begins with her helping out a man who was stabbed , and who died, and discovers a tangled web, and finds herself and Ella in danger.
I loved all the twists and turns, and near the end of the book I guessed the outcome.
I am a avid fan of Kate's, and I would have gave her 6 stars again If i could. Well done Mrs, I can't wait for your next riveting novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Disappointed, 24 April 2014
Booklover (Worcester UK) - See all my reviews
I have loved all of Kate Furnivall's books as she has a real talent for creating interesting characters and a sense of time and place within her books. Unfortunately this one just didn't quite hit the mark for me. The descriptions of Nassau in the 1940s are good and you can almost feel the sultry heat however the characters just seem a little flat and I didn't really feel that I got to know them beyond the basics. It is based on a true story and that makes me wonder if Ms Furnivall felt constrained to stick to reality and as a result it feels more like a recount than a novel.

Having said all that, it is an interesting story and one that keeps you guessing right until the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 6 April 2014
Furnivall's heroines, Ella and Dodie, aren't afraid to right wrongs or to love with passion; they are women who take life by the scruff of the neck and shake it! This book is a great read and the author treads the difficult path between fact and fiction with the aplomb of a real storyteller. The sense of place is deftly drawn, as is the atmosphere of war but, more than anything, Furnivall has given us a wonderful murder mystery where the plots and subplots interweave and leave the reader guessing until the very last pages. I loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 star but I like it a lot, 8 Mar 2014
Good flowing story. A believable, exciting plot and setting . It held me enthralled from start to finish. I could almost feel the sun and sand and see the beautiful tropical sea, which was at odds with the dramatic events. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because, in my opinion, nothing can compere to the authors first novel The Russian Concubine which held me totally spellbound.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Far Side of the Sun
The Far Side of the Sun by Kate Furnivall (Paperback - 14 Aug 2014)