Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 15 May 2007
This is the first book I have read of this type - but it certainly won't be the last. I always shied away from erotic novels before because I like my books to have a story running through them and was under the impression that this kind of book was pure sex.

In this case I was wrong. The story was a good one and even though the sex was highly descriptive it did fit in well with the story. I found the characters to be very 3 dimentional and likeable also. I sat up until the very early hours of the morning to finish this book as I simply couldn't put it down!!
on 17 June 2009
Very erotic, about a woman who wants to learn to be submissive in bed. She goes to a special "hotel" to learn all she needs to know about being submissive. Sexually explicit, erotic, forbidden pleasures, and well described in great detail that takes you straight to the scene in your imagination..... definitely worth reading!
on 17 July 2012
Totally loved this book, got a great story line and straight into the thrill at Chapter 1 (no messing about). Would highly recommend, lots better than 50 Shades of grey!!!
on 30 April 2008
Where are these places and where are these people!!!
I know, only fiction.... but this one had me on the edge of my sofa most nights, great read, I recommend this one to all who have read and enjoyed House of Decedance.
on 30 July 2012
Read this book in a day. Was gripped from the start and loved every minute of it, plus the story was along a different line to Fifty shades, which i also enjoyed.
on 11 September 2012
This book was first released in 2000 and has been re-printed 10 times. There are so many books now jumping on the 50 shades bandwagon and this is clearly one of them.

I do not like being negative about a book and the writer but honestly this (for me) was pure drivel!

No story, no warmth,old fashioned prose, boring!

This was supposed to be a story of sexual submission and obedience. The Haven, a weekend retreat that specializes in this lifestyle and provides training in obedience (for men and women)
Natalie Bowen turns to the Haven because men are unable to deal with her dominating attitude - so she attends the Haven hoping to change this but does she learn anything from her experience at the Haven? Does it alter her attitude towards men?

If you want to read about Natalies time at the Haven, her training and whether her attitude towards men changed then by all means read this book.

For me there was no spark between the characters or in the story - I really would have liked to say something positive about this book but I can't.
on 1 August 2012
I brought this book after reading Fifty Shades. Its a very good story and I'm glad i finished it however the ending was a little bit of a let down. I feel the writer could have put more compassion in with the characters and have some sort of closure. However apart from that the sex scenes were intense and really well put together its was a very good contender with Fifty shades. so i would recommend all to read if you like Fifty shades.
on 23 August 2012
After I devoured Fifty Shades, I went on the lookout for more books with similar themes and came across Haven of Obedience. I was drawn to it with its simple cover and awesome tagline. So when the publisher said they would send it for review I was over the moon. I started it on Monday and was finished Monday night. However, I'm completely torn with my feelings for the book.

Haven of Obedience is about Natalie, a high power business woman who is used to be very controlling at work and in bed. Which is why she can't seem to make a relationship last. When her friend Jan tells her about a place called The Haven, Natalie is intrigued so she signs on for two weekends. However, when she gets there it isn't exactly what she expects and over her time she experiences pleasure she never thought possible while fighting the urge to control and falling for her tutor.

As I mentioned I am torn with this book. So I will tell you what I loved first. I loved the characters. Natalie is a powerful woman. She knows her own mind. Once she was at The Haven you could tell she was having mixed feelings. She was excited but scared which made her seem more realistic. She had trouble being a sub doing what she was told. Her attraction to Simon was there from the start and it only grew stronger. Simon, now he was an interesting character. He is a tutor and its forbidden for him to get emotionally attached. But he was attracted to Natalie, which made him easy to connect with because who hasn't been attracted to someone who is off limits.

I loved the sex. That's right! This book is packed with kinky steamy sex practically on every page. Marina Anderson doesn't skim over anything and is very detailed in her descriptions of scenes. Now the sex is BDSM which isn't for everyone but it certainly open my eyes and had me blushing a lot!

Another aspect I loved was the sitting! It's set in London, UK. I don't get to many books set in the UK. So that was pretty amazing.

However, the thing I didn't like. The Plot, well actually the lack of plot. There didn't seem to be any real story to the book. It's basically a book full of sex with a slight story near the end. Now that isn't a bad thing. Personally though, I prefer a book to have a good plot to it with sex thrown into the mix. The ending was very unrealistic. I thought it seems very rushed and it could have did with an extra chapter so things flowed a little more with ease.

I'm not going to compare it to Fifty, even though it is in the tagline on the blurb, mainly because this was wrote in 2000 originally and the only thing it has in common is the BDSM theme. Everything is completely different but it certainly will appeal to those who like Fifty or any erotica novels.

I do recommend Haven of Obedience its a very quick and steamy read that is perfect for a bit of sexy times escapism just dont expect much from the actual plot.
on 21 April 2004
Very believable, totally gripping stuff. The characters are verywell-written, and you do find yourself wanting to know if Natalie doespass all the tests by the end of the book. There haven't been many booksthat I haven't been able to put down, but this was one of them - I wasstill reading avidly in the wee small hours of the morning! Rather thanbeing over the top in the sexual scenarios, it's full of situations thatare actually possible, and that real people would be involved in, whichsets it apart from other books of this genre that I've read. A greatread, thoroughly recommended!
on 30 August 2012
I think this book will definitely be an eye-opener for most people! As with Fifty Shades it is written in a simplitic way - impeccably clean cut despite its sexual content. And, it's content really is sexual from the beginning to the end. Every sexual experience is detailed even down to the emotional response it emits and I think it is this that makes it a compelling and worthwhile read. However, there is a gentleness to it. The author does take you by the hand and look after you as she introduces you to a world of sexual pleasure where exploration and experimentation are the name of the game. Natalie, the main female character is strong, intelligent, likeable and pleasant and poignantly representative of many young women who have had to exert control throughout their careers in order to succeed in business, and as a result have not learned to let go of that control in their personal and sexual lives! It is a steamy and good read with a little bit of romance added. And, I particularly liked the almost forbidden intimacy that Natalie shared with Anil - that was fiery and erotically charged. Above all I think that it is healthy and natural to be curious about sex and that extending your knowledge on the subject can only be beneficial to you. And, that is what this book does in a lighthearted and fun way.