5.0 out of 5 stars A Yang Approach - take with a large pinch of Yin!
Published 16 months ago by D. Hope

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
I gave up reading this book halfway through. The anecdotes are boring and I quickly grew tired of the constant abbreviations and overuse of the word "s***" It feels as if this book has been written by a teenager, not an ex-barrister. The only helpful thing I derived from the book is to use tables to plan tasks, instead of just writing a to do lists which never get done.
Published 18 months ago by A. Trytsman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Yang Approach - take with a large pinch of Yin!, 9 July 2013
This review is from: Get Your Sh!t Together: Your Prescription for a Simpler Life (Grit Doctor) (Paperback)
A very motivational kick in the rear, without all the touchy-feely language often found in self-help books, especially those from across the Pond - this is very definitely a British approach, a down to earth, common sense pep talk - often quite tongue in cheek & funny. Rather than reading it, I actually listened to the audio version (she reads it herself & is an excellent narrator) & got a huge amount done while I did! Whether you've got a huge life change to make or are just temporarily stuck in career doldrums, I'd recommend reading/listening to this. However, this is very strong medicine, which must be taken with an equal & balancing amount of yin, if you don't want to spend the rest of your life with clenched teeth, looking forward to those brief half hours when you're allowed to actually veg out on the couch & enjoy the fruits of your labours. After all, life must be about being present in & bringing acceptance/enjoyment to every moment, not just gritting it through all the chores & hard work. I recommend alternating this with Eckhart Tolle's excellent 'A New Earth - Awakening to Your Life's Purpose' A New Earth: Create a Better Lifeand/or for the more Buddhist-ly inclined 'Unconditional Confidence' a talk & interview with Pema Chodron Unconditional Confidence: Instructions for Meeting Any Experience with Trust and Courage - both of these are deep ... and come at life from an equally effective but very different angle. Balancing these two approaches - timely action AND inaction, with ongoing awareness & acceptance (because after all not everything can be changed by sheer grit, some of what life throws at you really does just have to be accepted), that is surely the trick.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 23 May 2013
A. Trytsman (Ireland) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts well…..., 14 Sep 2014
Starts well but then waddles on and on in a very repetitive manner. It would be better as an article rather than a book. I had a feeling that after page 20 Ruth Field ran out of things to say. She seems to be extremely fond of the word 's***' - it does make sense within the title, but she overuses it to extreme. Mid-book I lost interest, to be honest. I would advise you to take this book from the library, rather than spend money on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great motivational read !!, 9 Jun 2013
I bought this book having seen it mentioned in "Closer" magazine as a good motivatinal read. I bought this and Ruth Field's other book "Run fat B!tch Run. I can honestly say reading these has given me the kick up the backside I needed. I was feeling pretty overweight and de-motivated generally, but I sit here today having done 42 lengths at the local pool this morning, a 16km hike /run last week and a medium length run most days as now trying to get my fitness back. Thanks Ruth ! If you need a book to help you get your life in order with no namby pamby nonsense.....this works ! (Well it did for me anyway).

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 July 2013
Does exactly what it says on the tin. An upfront and honest book, this has been such a great motivator for getting my shit together, a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read with a laugh at the same time., 23 Jun 2014
Excellent, honest talking, exactly what you need when your best mate can't be next to you saying the same thing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not useful if you're already busy, 17 Jun 2014
I'd never give a book that someone's taken the trouble to write less than 2 stars because often it's that it just didn't suit the reader rather than it actually being rubbish. I think the target audience is the recent graduate recovering from the shock that their newly chosen profession is quite hard work really or the new mum who is discovering the even huger shock of a baby (or twins). The advice? Man up. Put a smile on your face and get on with it. Along with take one small step at a time in the right direction consistently to reach goals, tackle the stuff you're avoiding and get off your bottom and stop watching large amounts of crap TV. Also--strangely, and never really explained "don't write lists" without which my life would crumble because I would simply be unable to hold that much info in my head.
If you are my demographic -- either older than 35 and working full time, or have school age children with the whopping amount of organisation that entails, or both, I suspect that you might, like me, find this book a complete waste of time and money. I liked her "voice" and style--easy to read and mildly humorous but it's empty of content. What was really annoying (and I think a fault of the publisher) was that it doesn't say who the book IS targeted at, but then makes a number of references to that audience along the lines of if you are already not watching hours of crap TV, or already very busy then you're probably not reading this book. So why was I reading this book? I thought Dave Allens getting things done was excellent, but very masculine and office based so I was hoping for some time management tips/new ideas--this isn't that at all. The one piece of advice I did take away to remind myself of is that juggling it all just isn't easy so don't expect it to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 1 Dec 2013
Just the frank talking that you need when you want to make changes to your life. Very pleased I ordered it.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to get partner de-stressed!!, 20 Aug 2013
Wife needed to get focussed: she was sort of shocked by the title but once she got into it, she really thought it was very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good±, 4 July 2013
So far so good, I have only read one chapter - rather large print to bulk it out and its very conversational in tone but I'm enjoying it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Get Your Sh!t Together: Your Prescription for a Simpler Life (Grit Doctor)