4.2 out of 5 stars1,326
Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 January 2013
This book was first brought to my attention by a member of the Kindlers Club book club. I doubt I would have read the book had it not been selected as the December read.

The book tells the stories of a host of characters in Kabul, Afghanistan. The link amongst them all is the coffeehouse of the title. This is definitely a book focusing on the lives of women there, although there are several interesting male characters. I enjoyed reading about the different characters and wanted to see how their stories developed. I was largely satisfied by the plotlines for each of them, but not entirely so. The author intertwines the stories well but, for me, I found some plot developments too convenient and the odd character change a little too abrupt and unbelievable.

The ending will please readers who like everything resolved neatly, but it just didn't ring entirely true for me. I felt it ended leaving a sugary taste in my mouth - too sweet and schmaltzy and 'Hollywood' for my liking. The setting is Afghanistan, and while everything is not a happy ending (no spoilers here), we would surely expect some loose ends in reality.

I should stress that this didn't ruin my enjoyment of the book. I learnt a lot about Afghanistan and its culture. The writing was very atmospheric and I really felt the danger the Afghans must feel on a daily basis. What surprised me most about the book was that living in Afghanistan is not entirely the unpleasant experience you would expect. Of course it is unsafe, but there is beauty to be found in unexpected places and people there live with goals in life to change the place for the better. Some of the characters' efforts to change Afghanistan for the better were inspiring.

The book ends with snippets from the author's own life and experience, which is interesting, and some traditional Afghan recipes.

So, in summary, the book gave me a real flavour of a place and culture I had little knowledge of, and the characters I journeyed with were interesting and enjoyable. The only real let-down was the all too convenient execution of the plotlines which felt unrealistic.

3.5/5
11 comment|128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2012
It was a nice easy read but I felt the characters lacked depth.

I am a fan of 'The Kite Runner' and 'Thousand Splendid Suns' and if you are expecting this book to be similary well set out and written you will be disappointed.
on 27 October 2013
The detailed stories of daily life in Kabul are illuminating and really bring to life the news we see and hear from Afghanistan. I loved the book.
on 5 December 2013
To compare this with The Kite Runner or a Hundred Thousand Splendid Suns is like comparing Barbara Cartland with Shakespeare. I bought the book because I found those other 2 books moving and well written, this let down in all aspects. I found the characters one dimensional and the few good points of the book were lost in a schmaltzy overlay that didn't engage me.
88 comments|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 August 2014
I was looking for a good book to take on holiday, and having enjoyed Khaled Hosseini's books about Afghanistan, most notably A Thousand Splendid Suns and And the Mountains Echoed, I hoped this would be something similar. I couldn't have been more wrong. It's like a bad American sitcom, based in a coffeeshop - but wait, there's a twist! They're in Afghanistan! Golly, what difficulty that will be, running a "proper western" coffeehouse (that phrase was uttered more than once) in a war zone! There's sure to be some action to be found here... but no. Don't read on if you don't want spoilers, because I'm going to break down this entire awful book for you in the following paragraphs.

The "main" character, Sunny, an American expat who decided for no particular reason that the reader is made aware of to set up a coffee shop in Kabul, has the terrible task throughout the story of having to do her job, build a wall, and try to decide which of the two (white and Western, of course) men in her life she wants to be with more. One is grumpy, buys her a dog she doesn't want but somehow learns to love instantaneously and has a wife, the other one keeps going away to do his job and is very handsome. In the entire book they don't seem to have any other discernible traits, other than of course being completely in love with Sunny. Who is also not particularly interesting, since all she does is run a coffeeshop (although she has an Afghan guard, Afghan cleaner, Afghan cook, and Afghan old-lady-who-helps-with-things, so really all she does is worry about money and send emails.)

Isabel is a journalist from London, who when we are first introduced we are told is very attractive and has massive breasts (great info, definitely needed to know) and was raped this one time when she was doing her job, in Africa where nasty rapey things happen, so she's all hardened to the world and stuff. Very complex. But wait, it gets more complex! She's Jewish! Not that this has any effect on the story whatsoever, although she does meet another Jewish person at one point. Presumably to make Jewish-American readers not feel sidelined during icky kum-ba-yah moments where Christians and Jews and Muslims all have a jolly coffeeshop time together - not that this makes much sense, as I doubt Afghanistan is currently particularly welcoming to anybody who clearly exhibits differing religious views to Islam. Isabel keeps doing her job, then realises that being a white journalist tends to have an effect on the people whose lives you are intruding into, and gets a healthy dose of white guilt syndrome. It's alright, though, because she lets herself get killed by a suicide bomber later, again for no discernible reason as far as the plot is concerned.

Candace, another white American woman (why does a book set in Afghanistan have more main Western characters than Afghan ones?) fell in love with a very handsome man called Wakil, who we learn early on is a massive idiot and only likes her for her money. Which since she's a lot older than him and filthy rich, along with being utterly self centred and naive, is understandable really. He is training little boys up to be suicide bombers, because he's not nice. We're not supposed to like Wakil, so perhaps that is supposed to make us like Candace. Unfortunately she's about as likeable as the ebola virus, so we're stuck with her.

Yazmina is ACTUALLY FROM AFGHANISTAN. Finally. She's pregnant, and her husband is dead and she's been kidnapped. This sounds more like a realistic portrayal of an Afghan woman. But instead she's basically a dressmaking Cinderella, who despite her utterly hopeless situation is rescued by the lovely white Western women who deign to help her, and gets to marry Sunny's Afghan guard. Not that I wanted this character to come to a grisly end, but in a way it would have been more realistic. I doubt many pregnant lone women in Afghanistan meet an attractive, friendly young man who is willing to take on a child that isn't his and get given a house and job by a wealthy white expat who's playing at owning a business, but clearly Yazmina has all the luck in the world.

Halajan is possibly the most tragic character, because she really did have such potential to be awesome. She is the elderly mother of Yazmina's new husband, who smokes and drinks and has short hair. She has progressive ideas and wants to see positive change in Kabul, to see an end to the beggars and the war. Sadly the book is far too preoccupied with her illicit letter-writing affair with a tailor called Rashif, who appears to be a lovely bloke, but very keen. He writes her letters every week for six years, never getting a reply, because she can't read. Perhaps he should have skyped her instead. Anyway, even though this should be grounds for big trouble since illicit love affairs are a big no-no in Afghanistan, Halajan's son has a sudden change of heart for no real reason and lets them get married. So it's all well that ends well.

Really, this book is a botched attempt. Debbie Rodriguez should have set it in downtown Missouri, it almost certainly would have made more sense there. Instead it comes across as an offensive portrayal of Afghanistan and its people, who cannot function without Westerners to fix everything for them, and whose stories are second to those of the utterly mundane day to day life of a coffeeshop. Having worked in a coffeeshop, it doesn't surprise me that its more or less the same in Afghanistan as anywhere else, except it's in a warzone. Debbie Rodriguez spent more time describing makeup and hairstyles and christmas decorations than she did thinking of a decent plot. I'm disappointed to have wasted £3 on this. Maybe if you like her writing, then this is for you, but frankly I think hairdressers are perhaps not authors for a reason. Debbie Rodriguez is almost certainly better at giving a straight fringe than she is at writing a compelling and realistic story.
on 15 June 2014
I read this because it was chosen for a book club discussion and I do not recommend it. The style is irritating - e.g. most woodwork is "intricate": the heroine spreads "her favorite orange-scented lotion over her arms and then her legs, giving more attention to her elbows and her heels". Does the author want to write a book or give skincare advice in Boots? Lots of flashbacks because there is no really memorable description of what the characters actually do. We remember the British character is British because she often says "bloody" - usually in an inappropriate place. This character is killed by a bomb in Kabul but although the reader is constantly reminded of the dangers to the other main women characters arising out of the traditional beliefs and violent behaviour of Afhan men, none of the consequences of the main characters' "deviant" behaviour and misfortunes materialises and at least one Afghan male's prejudices are mysteriously overcome. But this reader, at least, didn't really care what happened to any of them as they are so badly drawn. One star for decent grammar and spelling; a second star for being over quickly.
on 5 May 2014
Plus points for this book are that it is fast paced and has some really interesting characters that you can connect to. The culture of Afghanistan is fascinating, and this gives you an insight into the detail of what lies behind the news stories we see on TV. I like chick lit novels, which is what this is, therefore I liked how everything was tied together in the end and the strong theme of love in it.
Slightly more negatively I thought that the stories of the 5 women's lives were not developed enough meaning that when some major events happened towards the end they did not have the impact that they should have done. I also thought that there was less exploration of the women's relationship with each other than there could have been, particularly between Sunny, Candace and Isobel.
A thousand splendid suns and the kite runner are beautiful masterpieces that do not compare to this, however I still thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone, particularly if you have never read a book about Afghanistan before.
on 10 May 2014
i absoltuley loved kite runner and 1000 Splendid suns this is NOTHING like that. it's one dimensional and the characters are boring and i have no feelings towards them . save your time and don't buy it
on 18 August 2014
This book is terrible! It jumps on the Afghanistan bandwagon but fails to deliver the beautiful and heart wrenching stories that can often come from this country. Avoid.
on 20 February 2015
I enjoyed this book. I have read the other reviews and agree with some of the criticisms about some of the characters lacking depth and also agreed with others that it was a book that kept me interested all the way through. For me it was an education of life in Afghanistan, which I knew nothing about . I was shocked and horrified to learn how women are treated and wonder how this is not common knowledge. Everyone should know about this. As my heading implies this book makes an unpalatable subject palatable but sometimes the sugar coating was just a bit too much and what could have been a really gritty and emotional story just a bit too easy to read with most of the endings tied up in a neat little bow. Although Im sure some people prefer this kind of book, I perhaps would have liked a bit more "bite" . Overall though a definite MUST READ for me and Im glad I did.