5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, romantic and enjoyable!
I'm a huge fan of Ali McNamara's novels and have loved every single one, so I was really looking forward to jumping in to Step Back In Time.

Published 15 months ago by Megan ReadingInTheSunshine

This book is such a dreadful read! The idea of a zebra crossing "time travelling" sounds fun, but Ali McNamara managed to turn it into the most boring thing ever!

Published 1 month ago by chez

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, romantic and enjoyable!, 15 Nov. 2013
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Paperback)

When Jo-Jo is hit by a car, the last thing she expects is to wake up and find herself in 1963. The world around her is suddenly very different - from the fashion to the music, even her romantic life. But then it happens three more times, and Jo-Jo finds herself living in the 70′s, 80′s and the 90′s! Why is Jo-jo jumping through time? And if she gets back to her old life, will it be the same?

I really enjoyed this. I wanted to read on because I was really intrigued about how and why Jo-Jo was jumping through time. I particularly enjoyed that there were characters who appeared in all of the `times', as it felt a bit more familiar, even if they were different in each time, I liked knowing that they were there and it felt as though I knew them so it made the novel more enjoyable for me.

I like the idea of stepping through time. I've recently become more interested in time travel novels and so this aspect was particularly fascinating for me. Being born in the late 80′s, I can only really remember the 90′s, but it was fantastic re-living this time with Jo-Jo! Even though I wasn't around for the other `times' I enjoyed them too and really immersed myself in the 60′s, 70′s and 80′s, the feeling and the atmosphere really came to life and I felt as though I had travelled back with Jo-Jo. I especially loved the many Beatles references, I found myself singing their songs for hours after reading this!

Step Back In Time is a delightful, funny, romantic, and truly wonderful read which I'm sure will bring back memories for many readers, as well as putting smiles on many faces like mine. So buy this and enjoy travelling through time with Jo-Jo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Step Back In Time with this fabulous novel!, 7 Nov. 2013
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Paperback)
I have to admit I've been going through a bit of a reading slump recently. I'm still reading, yes, but the books I'm reading just aren't blowing me away and I was sorta worried to start Step Back In Time because I didn't want to be disappointed in it. I'm quite pleased to report that I loved Step Back In Time - it was such a fun, warm, engaging novel that it would seem my book slump is basically just me reading books that aren't particularly mind blowing (which in itself is a shame!). Step Back In Time, however, blew all the novels I've read in the past week out of the water quite easily and the novel has easily one of the coolest book concepts, ever.

Step Back In Time sees main character Jo Jo moving through the decades, from the swinging sixties to the hippy seventies, to the big-haired eighties, and to the relatively modern nineties. I got into the novel immediately; I loved meeting Jo Jo in 2013 before all the hoo-ha happened because it meant we knew a bit about her, and a bit about the people in her life; Ellie, George, Harry and then I liked how quickly we time travelled. I thought it was utterly amazing; I loved the concept that Jo Jo changed guises with each trip, but how she was still, inside, the same Jo Jo f 2013. I loved how Jo Jo adapted to all of the changes, and managed to realise that there were some thing that stayed the same no matter the decade. I loved seeing that Ellie, Harry and George were always present and correct, even if they weren't as close to Jo Jo as they had been, that familiarity meant a lot as I read the novel because it meant Ellie wasn't ever totally alone, even if the people around her weren't always as they used to be.

Step Back In Time was a pleasure from beginning to the end, I was hooked from the off. I didn't even mind all the Beatles references (in fact, it was actually nice because it was all tied together), despite not being their biggest fan (I'm a 90s kid, my parents brought me up on Meat Loaf not The Beatles). Ali McNamara has once again hit it out of the park, she is truly a special storyteller and this is her at her best. She encapsulated all the decades so well, and it never felt gimmicky. I loved learning more about decades I've never known a thing about, I loved that Groovy Records was present and correct in every decade and I adored the core characters of Jo Jo, George, Ellie and Harry. I didn't want it to end, I just wanted to keep surfing the decades with Jo Jo, but even the ending was amazing. Ali's so talented, and Step Back In Time is a triumph, thank you Ali for such an awesome read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance with a difference!, 17 Aug. 2014
Shazjera - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Paperback)
Step Back in Time is one of the books I read while we were away. I had been browsing my bookcases specifically looking for a couple of books to take away and I’m glad I was! I won my signed copy after entering my 80’s hairstyle on Twitter and had shelved it.

Jo-Jo, running her own accountancy firm doesn’t have time for anything else outside of the office. Unusual for her, she takes George’s accounts back to him. He is the owner of Groovy Records and has been in business since the 1960’s. One other customer comes into the shop, Harry. Harry remembers Jo-Jo from her late appearance at her father’s 60th birthday party.

Crossing on the zebra crossing, half-way across, a white sports car knocks her down. Coming round, she is surrounded by people, Harry being one of them. He takes Jo-Jo back to the record shop and it’s here we find out George is central to the story.

Spending time in 1963, 1977, 1985 and 1994 with Jo-Jo was fabulous. I enjoyed the different ages and the jobs she had, the music, the fashions and the people she met. Everything felt very authentic. Although Harry and Ellie are constants in her life, their roles in the time periods change. I couldn’t wait to find out what each of them were doing and how that affected Jo-Jo.

I felt that each time period was like a short story within the plot with Jo-Jo having to figure out why she is there and what she can do to move on. We see her change from a woman hanging on to childhood issues into acceptance of love, emotions and life.

The Eleanor Rigby statue was just brilliant!

Ali McNamara has crafted an amazing story that flows at a good pace and held my attention (took it everywhere on holiday to read at every opportunity). It is easy to identify with the characters and become involved with Jo-Jo’s journey emotionally. The metaphysical/spiritual, sci-fi (time travel) and romance blends seamlessly. I love a romance with a difference!

I highly recommend Step Back in Time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunner of a book, 10 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Kindle Edition)
I cannot praise this book enough. Thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish, the storyline is excellent and keeps you gripped from the beginning. The characters are lovely and I for one will be taking a trip to the Kings Road to check out the zebra crossing and the world's end! Everyone must read this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Escapism, 7 Feb. 2014
Shouna Falconer (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Paperback)
I listened to the audio download, and it's just as well, because it meant I could listen while doing other things. Otherwise I would have done nothing but read until I'd finished it.

My purpose is to review the book, but it's worth mentioning the reading too. The reader has a good clear voice, and her "voices" given to the characters are excellent. What a pity, therefore, that she mispronounces some words. For some inexplicable reason, "chaise longue" becomes "chez longue" while she completely messes up one of the Bay City Rollers' surnames.

Now onto the novel itself. Every time travel story or film has a different angle on it - different rules and a different framework. The time travel premise in this book is very interesting and imaginative. I'm not going to say more than that. I feel that the "blurb" gives away too much as it is.

The main character, Jo-Jo, is a stereotype. However her character is developed just a little, and as much as is possible in a novel such as this one. To read the book is to travel with Jo-Jo on an adventure as she tumbles through time, visiting several decades. It soon becomes clear to her that return to her own time is by no means inevitable, and her "magical mystery tour" could be said to be a treasure hunt, with the ultimate treasure being her safe return.

She has no time for such thoughts when the novel begins, and is hurrying through a Spring day in London when she is hit by a car. She arrives unharmed (physically at any rate) in 1963 and finds that she is no longer an accountant with her own business, but a lowly receptionist who has to exchange her beloved Starbucks coffee for instant.

As you can imagine, coffee is the least of her troubles. The plot is fast moving and the writer's attention to detail is accurate. Unlike many writers, she manages to avoid anachronisms. Readers looking for a starry eyed romantic story will be disappointed. Romance does feature, but in the background. This is primarily an adventurous romp, but one with a deeper meaning.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Funny, Nostalgic, sweet, time-travelling treat!, 3 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Paperback)
The premise of this book is really intriguing. I’ve never read a time travel book before (not even The Time Traveler’s Wife) so thought this would be fun. It was, SO fun! As a child of the 80′s, I loved (and cringed) at the fashions and music) but I loved the 60s and 70s references as I’ve always wished I could have been a hippy!

The references that tie the characters and eras together are a great touch. I caught a lot of them! I adored the characters, Ellie and George in particular. Ellie seems like a great girl, someone I wish I knew in real life. George is a sweetheart and a good solid man. Harry is, um, colorful and I liked him a lot. Jo-Jo is a feisty girl, I admired her strength, determination and loyalty. She never let things get to her for too long and fought for what she wanted. I’m learning to be more like her.

The whole book flows really easily, transitions perfectly from decade to decade. The descriptions of places, people, and fashions are spot on. I really liked the musical aspects and references throughout the story, music as always been important to me, so I love to see it in a novel. I felt like I was moving along with Jo-Jo and pictured myself wearing her (shocking at times) outfits. I loved being swept back in time, I loved that London was always vibrant and alive and wish I could have seen it, especially in the 60s. I pretty much just LOVED this book. Like, a lot. I think I need to read it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars The idea of a zebra crossing "time travelling" sounds fun, but Ali McNamara managed to turn it into the most boring thing ever!, 26 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Paperback)

Probably she's trying to be clever by dragging the Beatles in the book, but unfortunately not everyone would find it appealing... personally I don't really think any female readers below the age of 45 would really care!

Then the characters in the book... all of them are so boring! Seriously - ALL OF THEM! All they seem to be doing was making tea and talking about Beatles...

The only positive thing about this book was it was so easy to read - if I could actually call it reading rather than page-jumping.

The time travelling concept that Jo-Jo was experiencing was never explained properly, which was okay... but it has flaws everywhere! And the relationship that she was building up with Harry throughout all the decades was lacking chemistry (absolutely none!), a rom-com without any traces of love chemistry, failed to make people laugh or cry... the only thing that it successfully achieved was putting people off the Beatles!

5.0 out of 5 stars Groovy!, 5 Jan. 2014
Londoner (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book - credit to the author because every time the main character moved into another era, I both didn't want the era to end and also enjoyed reading the new era! The thing I also really liked about this book above her earlier one was that it wasn't OTT romantic. Much more interesting than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 18 Mar. 2014
L. Swift "Lisa S" (Leicester,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Kindle Edition)
This is a great story, I love how the main character jumps through time, from the 1970's to the 1990's. Its that little bit different, intriguing and funny. I would love to read more books like this! It has a bit of everything, mystery, romance and humour.

3.0 out of 5 stars time travel, 27 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Step Back in Time (Kindle Edition)
A pleasant story with quirky twists in the tale. Easy reading not too taxing. Lots of relevant references and quite. Up to date as well .

Step Back in Time
Step Back in Time by Ali McNamara (Paperback - 7 Nov. 2013)