4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not my favourite book of hers (3.5 stars)
I enjoyed this book but as one of the earlier reviewers has commented, this book was slightly more predictable than some of her other efforts. On a personal level I also felt that I didn't engage with these characters as much as I have with her other creations in the past and the storyline just wasn't as compelling.

The book focuses on two estranged sisters...
Published on 30 Aug 2011 by Nicola F (Nic)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best effort
Published on 29 Jan 2012 by Foodie.Herts

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not my favourite book of hers (3.5 stars), 30 Aug 2011
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Brass Ring (Kindle Edition)

The book focuses on two estranged sisters. Firstly there is the ever optimistic Claire, a director of a rehabilitation centre and with a seemingly perfect life and marriage. On the other end of the spectrum is bristly Vanessa, a doctor who is struggling to get over the traumatic events of her childhood that have seemingly marked her beyond measure. When Claire encounters a jumper from a bridge and is unable to save her, it seems to cause the emergence of memories that she has long since repressed, which threatens to destroy everything she holds dear.

As an author, Diane Chamberlain excels in slowly unravelling the narrative piece by piece, and because this story is told from the point of view of both Vanessa and Claire, you can see the story from two different perspectives which adds an interesting dimension to the proceedings as well as two opposing emotional viewpoints. I did find that the little twists in this story weren't quite as clever as in her previous books, but this was still a very readable family drama.

For me though, I really found it hard to empathise with Claire- her perpetual optimism and insistence on brushing everything under the carpet was so irritating and if I'm honest, a bit unbelievable. I actually preferred Vanessa, who although she came across as a harsher, colder person was a bit less two-dimensional. Whilst this book is also able to portray the relationships between an able bodied person and a person in a wheelchair, I would have personally liked to see a bit more about how Claire and her husband got together and some of the earlier struggles that they faced- though the author did write a bit about it I felt it was a little bit glossed over in places and could have been expanded upon more.

Nevertheless, for fans of Jodi Picoult or Kristin Hannah, I think this is a book that would be really enjoyed. As far as contemporary fiction goes, Chamberlain is one of the best authors out there and I would highly recommend `The Midwife's Confession' and `Before The Storm' as some of her stronger novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars WELL WORTH READING, 19 Jan 2012
Amanda "sac" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Brass Ring (Kindle Edition)
When Claire Harte-Mathias attempts but fails to prevent a woman from suicide by jumping off a bridge her whole life changes. Following this tragedy Claire finds herself in a strange place in her life when memories from the past come back to haunt and consume her, to the point where Claire and her husband find their marriage in danger.
Diane Chamberlain always manages to get right to the core of the matter, especially when writing about sensitive issues, this book being no exception.
A thoroughly good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Read, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Brass Ring (Kindle Edition)
I've read a few of Diane Chamberlain's novels - some better than others. However, I have no preconception and started this book with an open mind.

I loved it and couldn't put it down (annoying when I "should" be studying but for me a sign of a good book!!) - I won't go into details as it's already been said - my only criticism would be that I felt the book drew me towards the end which was over in a flash. The prelude was dramatic and I just feel the "conclusion" was too brief and hurried.

Having said that, I'd have no hesitation in recommending this book and will definitely read another by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read - although slightly predictable, 23 April 2011
Amazon Customer (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brass Ring (Kindle Edition)
Another Diane Chamberlain book that does not disappoint. I did find that the ending was not as unpredictable as in some of her other books. Whether this is something to do with this book or whether I'm getting to know her writing more now that I've read a lot of her books, I can't decide.

However, this did not affect my enjoyment of the book. I enjoy Diane's writing style very much and find she has a unique way of helping you get into the minds of the characters. I thought the way the two main characters have completely different memories of their childhood was a very good idea. Diane's way of writing about peoples emotions is done in such a way that I could empathise completely with the characters.

It's not my favourite book of Diane chamberlain's but is definately worth a read. Another real page-turner from her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brass Ring (Purchased on 25 Jun 2012) by Diane Chamberlain, 2 Aug 2012
This review is from: Brass Ring (Kindle Edition)
Diane Chamberlain is one of my favourite authors I have read all her books, she takes everyday situations and gives them a twist that you do not see coming they are fantastic and un-put-downable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brass Ring, 9 April 2012
This review is from: Brass Ring (Paperback)
I wont go into the story as others have done . I have read All of Diane Chamberlain's books and although I did predict the twist quicker than her other books it did not take away my need to not put the book down. Every single spare second I had I was reading as with all her books. The book was amazing, interesting and every bit as addictive as all of Chamberlain's books. I loved it. Brass Ring is a must read. Diane Chamberlain books are addictive, It's a good thing that she doesn't write them as quick as I read them ( a day and a half) or I would have no life at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best effort, 29 Jan 2012
This review is from: Brass Ring (Kindle Edition)
Please note: this book was originally issued in 1995. I get really cross when these old titles are reissued with funky covers misleading customers into thinking its a new book. That said, its a nice tale, quite easy to read, trys to be a tragic story but doesn't quite makei it. I would rather it be a romantic story, than dabbling in child abuse for example, like this does. Diane attempts to bring in a sense of horror in the abuse angle but its a bit woolly and the book didn't leave me with fond memories unlIke most of her other novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Brass Ring (Kindle Edition)
I found this an eloquently written tale covering a variety of "sensitive" issues. A compelling read. Diane never disappoints me.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant read, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Brass Ring (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book from cover to cover. It was so easy to get I to and kept things hidden until the end

5.0 out of 5 stars spot on, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Brass Ring (Kindle Edition)
A book to hold you to the end. Excellent read. Can't wait until I pick up her next book. Cheers.

Brass Ring
Brass Ring by Diane Chamberlain (Paperback - 29 Mar 2012)
6.99