5.0 out of 5 stars The Loveliest Read in the Kindle Store
Published on 20 Mar. 2013 by MrsB

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..
I've read all of Jenny Colgan's books and I was so looking forward to reading this book. Unfortunately it didn't live up to expectations in fact I have to say I don't think there is really a story worth writing about here. The story seems very patchy.
You read the story through the main characters eyes and at the same time there are past snippets from a friend of the...
Published 21 months ago by Mrs. N. J. Greenwood

5.0 out of 5 stars The Loveliest Read in the Kindle Store, 20 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris (Paperback)
I didn't even read the reviews of The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris before I bought it as having read Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe, I knew I liked the authors style of writing and therefore knew I couldn't go far wrong with Chocolate and Paris. It's a perfect read, beautiful descriptions of the most romantic city in the world and lovely believable romances taking place there. It's a great book and the description of Claire and her cancer battle are amazing, touching and well handled. I did shed tears but I also smiled lots. I can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars It will make your mouth water and your heart melt, 26 May 2013
This review is from: The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris (Paperback)
Jenny Colgan has done it again! She has concocted another sweet morsel of a novel in The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris.

When an accident in a chocolate factory in the North of England left thirty-year-old Anna Trent lying in a hospital with two missing toes, she thought her life was never going to be the same again. That was before she knew that her French Teacher, Claire, was in the same hospital room as her. Claire, a patient with terminal Cancer, kept Anna company whilst in hospital. Then she made Anna a proposition of a life-time: To work in a chocolate shop in Paris owned by the only man whom Claire ever loved, Thierry Girard--a master chocolatier.

As the sun rises over the Pont de Neuf, and the cobbled alleyways of Paris come to life, Anna Trent is busy making chocolates the old fashioned way--by hand. As she mixes, blends and tastes the finest chocolates in Paris, the Chateau Chocolat sells them to the grandes dames of Paris.

As the story unfolds, you get to meet and love Claire as she tells the story of her younger self who was sent as an Au Pair (Nanny) to Paris to mind the children of her mother's life-long pen pal, Madame Legarde. While in Paris the young Claire meets and falls in love with the town's master chocolatier, Thierry Girard, owner of the prestigious Le Chateau Chocolat. The pair fall helplessly in love until Claire has to return home to England to resume her studies, leaving behind the man she truly ever loved.

Years later, through Anna Trent, Claire and Thierry meet again and relive their romance for one last time. This book made me cry in places and made my mouth water. I fell in love with the book's characters, the chocolate and the city that brought this book to life. I have always wanted to see Paris and this book transports me to the city of light and romance without having to purchase a ticket. At the end of the book Colgan features a repertoire of chocolate recipes guaranteed to tantalize your taste buds. Each recipe is tested by Colgan herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 7 April 2013
One of the best book that I've read in ages, couldn't put it down. Have recommended it to my friends

5.0 out of 5 stars More Please!!!, 31 Mar. 2013
How can you beat a mix of Paris, good chocolate and romance. A really enjoyable read that lifts the spirit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 3 April 2013
Miss T. A. Gibson (Teesside, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
As you read the book it takes you on a truly wonderful journey, of which you feel part of. I actually felt as though I was in Paris, Jenny writes in such a way that you actually feel as though your there, living in her masterpiece!

4.0 out of 5 stars Chick-lit with chocolate and Paris, 4 Nov. 2013
TigerEyes (Glasgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've just returned from an extended stay in Paris which made me pick up this book. Ordinarily chick-lit isn't my thing, but I thought with Paris and chocolate it couldn't go too far wrong and on the whole I was right. The characterisation was fine, though I wanted to shake Anna a few times, and she seemed to spend a large part of the book being 'cross' - although I guess she spent a lot of time coming to terms with what happened to her in the opening chapters. I liked the backstory with Claire interspersed through Anna's story.

The only thing that niggled me was the description of when Anna visits Notre Dame. Firstly she 'mounts the steps'. There is only 1 tiny step to get into Notre Dame itself - there are only steps if you're going up the towers, and Anna isn't. Then she admires the 'rose-coloured, stained-glass window'. It's a rose window not rose coloured, it's kind of blue, turquoise and purpley. Then she says she couldn't get to where the people were praying without paying the entrance fee - there isn't an entrance fee unless you're going up the towers. It's free to just go in and wander around. So I expected a little better - especially as it's the stunning Notre Dame. However, that was just a personal niggle, the other descriptions of Paris were on the whole delightful and charming and made me want to move straight back there!

A readable book with some funny moments, poignant moments, sad moments and a reminder to cherish the things you love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 6 Jun. 2013
I was worried this book would be just more "chic lit" but it was a wonderful moving read that transported me back to Paris. I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed this book!, 25 May 2013
I couldn't put this book down - within a few pages I was hooked and I thought this was a really wonderful story. I always love Jenny Colgan's books and I actually thought this was one of her best. Thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who likes her books or just enjoys a good easy read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet!, 10 Mar. 2014
The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris was provided by Source Books, through Netgalley in return for an honest review

Do not read this book if you are on any sort of diet programme.

The Loveliest chocolate Shop will make you crave chocolate like there is no tomorrow.

Anna works in a large chocolate factory in England. This factory isn't concerned with fine foods or delicate palates. All the matters is that the chocolate that gets churned out has a uniform taste and can be got to the shops as quickly as possible.

When Anna has an accident on the factory floor she ends up on her back in hospital. Here she meets her old French teacher Claire. As Claire is nearing the end of her life she urges Anna to star living hers. In doing so she convinces her to take a place at the most famous chocolate shop in Paris.

As we are taken on Anna's journey forward in life we are also transported back to Claire's past and her wonderful summer with the romantic Thierry. The summer romance is a little clichéd but lovely all the same. My heart really broke for her at the end of the summer when she had to return home.

I loved Anna's Journey through real chocolate making. I loved the descriptions of mixing and conching. I could smell each smell and longed to taste everything they came up with.

I was actually in Paris while reading this book and found myself heading for the nearest bakery every time I read it. The imagery in the book is a little unrealistic but still nice to read. A lot of people still see Paris as a place of romance even though the reality is somewhat different!

Another thing that I found odd was the reaction to what Claire's and the childrens mother did. Anna was very blasé about it all when in fact what they really did was ruin her teenage years. All the time she was wondering why, they had the answer. I suppose they thought they were acting in her best interests but I really felt for her.

The first two thirds of the book are fairly slowly paced but I found the ending very abrupt. It was always going to be sad, sort of like taking a band aid off. Make it fast and quick :(

I would recommend the loveliest chocolate shop in Paris to anyone looking for a light, romantic read. Just make sure you have some good quality chocolate beside you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously sweet, 10 July 2013
K. L. Beeden (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris (Paperback)
The story follows Anna who is recovering from a freak accident and her former French teacher Claire,who is fighting cancer. They meet in hospital and strike up a friendship, valuing each other much more than they had during the pupil/teacher relationship. The women bring out the best in each other, inspiring each other to push themselves and strive to reach for their dreams. Claire encourages Anna to persue her flair for the French language, and arranges for Anna to work with Thierry, a famous chocolatier in Paris. The novel follows Anna's experiences in France with handsome,stubborn Laurent and extrovert, flamboyant Sami.

A comforting, mouthwatering read that reflects on first love and last wishes, The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris is a beautifully written novel with likeable characters. A lovely summer read that would be equally enjoyable on a sunlounger or in winter snuggling up under a blanket with a mug of hot chocolate. It has also inspired me to try and learn a little bit of French again, it really is a glamorous, seductive language- I can see why Claire and Anna are so passionate about the language.

The book ends with a selection of recipes for chocolatey delights, an extra treat in a book that is sweet in every sense. From rice krispie cakes to chocolate plaits from the recipe book of a Great British Bake Off champ, there is something for bakers of all abilities to try.

Highly recommended, but you may need tissues! 8/10

The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris
The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris by Jenny Colgan (Paperback - 14 Mar. 2013)