Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

on 9 December 2014
2014 has been a brilliant year for thrillers, with many great books to read. For me, one of those stories most awaited was the latest in the Victor the Assassin series from the pen of Tom Wood. The first three novels hit the jackpot and I had high hopes that this rich vein of form would continue.
I wasn't disappointed. What Wood provides is a cracking tale, full of action sequences that twist the plot this was and that. The characters are great too, with the enemy being truly nasty. Where the writer excels is in the description and detail of Victor's actions as he attempts to avoid getting caught. The storyline is good and the pace of the plot allows tension to grow, making it a joy to read.
If you enjoy Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels, you will relish these stories. Wood just gets better and better. Well Done!
on 29 November 2014
Tom wood can't write fast enough for me! THis arrived this morning and I opened it to read the first chapter whilst I was waiting for the oven to heat up and then ended up reading it in one sitting! So fast and exciting, literally couldnt put it down! Another brilliant read.
on 27 December 2014
I heard about this book on radio 2 book review it sounded like a great read and it didn't disappoint me .It isn't a great read it is a fantastic read best book I've read for ages could not put it down .5 stars are not enough there should be more with so many twists and turns keeping you guessing with every chapter . I can't wait to read the next one this is my 1st time with this author and will definitely be reading more of his work .Tom Wood a name to remember with books to match .
on 24 August 2015
I felt the writing was a little simplistic in that a number of the characters are very 1 dimensional. The dialogue for the Russian oligarch figure sounds like he was speaking English in a Russian accent ie rather basic! The other problem is that although it is fictional it felt like watching the film Titanic or reading a Jack Reacher story in that it was very obvious what will happen in the end. Having said all that the lengths the main character goes to avoid detection is illuminating but how he could everything he does on an hours sleep and a few snickers bars is beyond me!
VINE VOICEon 2 September 2015
Let me make this clear: I think Tom Wood's books are excellent, and that he is probably the best thriller writer currently writing. (Well, I do prefer Andrey Kurkov, but that is not quite the same genre.)

The action is fast paced and described in great detail. "Mr. Wood's" background in Krav Maga shows, in the fight sequences are always plausible The "choreography" of the action is carefully described, so it is always possible to fully en visualise the scene - the author seems to have the same eye for detail as his character. .And the characterisation is excellent; the psychological quirks clearly portrayed that make Victor able to function so effectively in his line of work.

But I confess I was somewhat disappointed. Firstly, we start to learn more of Victor's origins, and I confess I preferred it when he was a complete cypher. (The background, as it stands, is exactly what one would expect.)

Secondly, what made the earlier novels such a good read was that our (anti-)hero, although extremely good at his job, was not infallible. He screwed up from time - and it cost him. This time he seems to be turning into a superhero. And there are passages that contradict themselves, as they try to explain how super he is e.g. he insists on a girl eating (when she really has good reason for not wanting to!) 'because he knows it is important that she keeps her strength up as she is not used to hardship', then a little later, fails to acquire food for himself and for her 'because he is able to survive on very little and it hadn't occurred to him that she was weaker'.

Thirdly, there are some 'choreography' slips. At one point victory loses his gun 'because he had put it in his lap' - which had not been previously mentioned. He HAD put it in his lap earlier...but he has changed cars, and used the weapon, in between! And he transforms over a matter of hours (or less) between not being able to stand up unaided, and RUNNING on an ankle injury!

Fourthly - and thus was the most unsatisfying point, the denouement relies on an extremely competent adversary making a very stupid decision. It is presented that she has only two options, when it is obvious that she has a third - and no reason for not taking it.

My other points were merely quibbles - disappointing by comparison only with the author's extremely high standard of writing. But the final one - the plot-hole - really jarred.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
My first Victor the Assassin book (after a recommendation) and it had my hooked from the 1st page; will definitely re-tracing to read the first 3 books. The writing is so crisp and pulls you along at break-neck pace in a gritty contemporary race-against-time thriller that makes the current Bond films look pedestrian. The central protagonist, Victor, is an assassin whose whole life is built on surviving in a dog-eat-dog criminal underbelly in which ever city he finds himself in. The plot here centers on Victor protecting the estranged step daughter (Gisele) of a Russian crime boss called Norimov from an unknown enemy. Norimov was once Victor’s enemy, but our assassin reluctantly agrees to protect Gisele because of a bond he had with her dead mother. The action moves to London where Gisele lives, training as a lawyer. The girl is feisty and very wary of Victor – she has no love for her stepfather and does not really appreciate the threat against her. She has to adapt fast and soon realises that Victor’s ruthless ways represent her only chance of survival. They bond in a fight for survival as the true reason why Gisele had been targeted becomes apparent. Superb.
on 6 March 2015
I have now read all the books in this series and cannot stress how much I have enjoyed them all. After reading through all the Jack Reacher and Mitch Rapp I think Victors got the edge! The attention to details better and more believable. Victor blends in where Reacher is a man mountain, similar to that old gag where nobody ever noticed Starsky & Hutch even though they drove around in a bright red Ford Tourino. There is no big political back story in the books unlike Mitch Rapp. Victor is his own man and the true definition of an anti hero, the story is action all the way but the intelligence and problem solving from Victor makes the story more than just a predictable shoot em up.. It is also a refreshing change that he doesn't automatically end up in bed with every woman he encounters. Top banana from Tom Wood and I can't wait for the next book.
on 17 April 2014
A book's only worth 5 stars if you can't put it down; you take it to bed and/or toilet and/or to the shops hoping to read a chunk while you're waiting at the checkout. I promise you I've done all of those and a few more I won't talk about.

This is Tom Wood's fourth full length book about Victor the seemingly unkillable assassin. It's pacy and violent. Very. Tom Wood takes you into the mind of the world's best assassin while he deals with a rather different project (no spoilers).

There are plenty of nasty people entwined in the ultimate survival test for Victor.

Make yourself a large pot of tea, turn your phone off, and settle down undisturbed for one hell of a ride. Don't count on sleeping much.

Bravo Tom Wood, when's the next book out?
0Comment12 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2015
This is the second Victor assassin book I read, and though it isn't as good as the Game, it's quite exciting especially around the middle area and onwards. Earlier part of the book has a good build-up, and the action scenes are aplenty but within a tight story. Though there's one sore point, it's a bit too violent with torture scenes, but I guess it goes with the territory when you read a book about a cold- hearted assassin. He's not exactly going to give his enemies a good mug of tea and crumpets. The action is quite cinematic which I love and at least the book isn't torturously boring like some thrillers. This is how thrillers should be - they supposed to make you thrilled, not chilled. Tom Wood is one talented writer. I love how he paints a gloomy picture of London.
on 31 August 2014
Very similar to the previous books. Victor is a great character. As ever the intense battle scenes are enjoyable to read. Love the four Nordic assassins thing.