4.0 out of 5 stars Eloise
I read this book quite quickly and I agree with others who have said that it's an easy read. Judy showed good knowledge about the subject and this was shown through her descriptions of Cornwall and also the fact Judy's friend had passed away from cancer. I thought the storyline was very gripping and I didn't predict the ending. Although I felt the way Chris made up with...
Published 17 months ago by princess

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5* Easy and Entertaining
Judy Finnegan's debut novel is an easy read. I read the majority of the book in one day, and I liked some things about it more than others.
Published on 15 Oct. 2012 by C. Colley

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5* Easy and Entertaining, 15 Oct. 2012
C. Colley (Lincs) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Eloise (Hardcover)
I liked the Cornwall landscape and the descriptions of it. The setting provides a wonderful atmosphere for the story, particularly with the supernatural element. The cover is lovely, but I'm not sure about the quote stating wonderful echoes of Daphne Du Maurier. It will be compared to DDM and has a lot to live up to.
The story-line is easy to get on with and not entirely predictable. The writing doesn't always flow smoothly, but I still think the story is put together well, and comes together quite well.
I find it really interesting that another reviewer mentions that she couldn't get the vision of Richard and Judy out of her head when reading this book because something similar occurred to me. I know R&J have a home in Cornwall and when main character Cathy describes and talks about Cornwall etc, all I could picture was Judy, talking about her own experiences.
All the characters are portrayed quite well. Chris is not the most likeable of characters and Cathy was a stronger character when Chris wasn't with her.
All in all, this book is a fairly good read. It's non-demanding, but still intriguing. I will be interested in reading Judy's next book..

2.0 out of 5 stars An amateur effort, 15 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Eloise (Kindle Edition)
I really wish I hadn't bought this book. I am sure that the author traded on her reputation as a TV presenter to persuade a publisher to take this on. Her writing style is awful, formal and stilted. The conversation between characters is false and not at all how people speak to each other. The quotations from Wuthering Heights are too long and detailed - most people have read, or watched films and TV plays based on the book and really don't need vast tracts of quotations. The basic storyline is ok but obvious in that it is inspired in part by a particular tradegy.
The only positive is that her descriptions of Cornwall are vivid and she obviously loves the area very much. I could imagine I was there from her descriptions of the countryside and the house where the heroine (named Cathy by chance) and her husband lived.
I wouldn't recommend it, in fact I gave up halfway through reading it as it was so boring and mind numbingly awful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overwrought Drivel, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Eloise (Paperback)
I will preface my review by saying this novel is our current book club choice or I wouldn't have chosen to read it. I was staggered at how poorly written this book is. It is clear that Ms. Finnegan is madly in love with Cornwall and it's surrounds, but the repetitive, almost child-like descriptions of the area act as mere filler. The premise could have been enjoyable enough but the overwrought, near hysterical descriptions of yo yo-ing emotions of the main characters bordered on ridiculous. The characters bounce between near hatred of each other to collapsing in each other's arms weeping with love and forgiveness. Sadly it's not entertaining enough to even be an "easy beach read." At the risk of offending younger readers the book would be more suited to a teen market.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 11 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Eloise (Paperback)
I have been looking forward to reading this ever since i knew Judy was writing it. I like Judy Finnigan, i love ghost stories and i am a fan of Cornwall having spent my early years holidaying there,so, couldn't go wrong with this book...could i? From the off something seemed familiar to me and i couldn't help thinking this was a story based on Caron Keating.Only a couple of months ago i had read Gloria Hunniford's book 'Always with you' which tells of the tragic death of her beloved daughter Caron who died at the age of 41 from breast cancer. I flicked to the back of Eloise and wasn't too surprised to find that,yes,infact Caron had been Judy's inspiration for writing the novel. I was also distracted because i knew Judy has a home in Cornwall and straightaway the image of Cathy was Judy, which meant the image of Chris was Richard. The place names are all actual places, which is great for the local economy, (i want to go to the Old Quay House Hotel and Sam's Bar but i don't think i would want the tourists there if i was a celebrity). I feel the whole book is a bit too autobiographical (i know authors write of what they know best but this felt a step too far). I really wanted to enjoy this book but i expected something a bit more original from a journalist - sorry Judy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gave up ...., 5 Sept. 2013
M. Cunliffe "Warwicker" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eloise (Kindle Edition)
I just found this book too silly and too exasperating so gave up at the half way stage. It dithered back and forward after a promising beginning and simply did not move on. There was no logic to the storyline ....if Eloise's ghost knew there was some terrible secret to be disclosed and her children's lives were in jeopardy then for heaven's sake just tell people....why should they have to find it out for themselves.
I will not be seeking out any other books by this author but suspect this must be a first attempt anyway. Money wasted.

1.0 out of 5 stars One star for effort, 7 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Eloise (Paperback)
I really wanted to like this book which is why I stuck with it until the end although I almost stopped reading it after the first chapter. It is dangerous for somebody as well known as Judy Finnigan, to write in the first person. I never managed to give the central character, Kathy, any substance except as her creator. I felt thoughout that JF was writing an autobiographical novel (I'm sure parts of it are) - even the images of Cornwall are overwritten.
And as for the plot! What a load of piffle! How many intelligent people in the 21st century believe that they can be `possessed' by a recently dead person?
I wonder if this book would have found a publisher without a celebrity name on the front?
I guess it was always going to make money for the publisher.

1.0 out of 5 stars Flowery and sentimental, 17 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Eloise (Hardcover)
This is not really a work of fiction but a thinly disguised record of Richard and Judy and the significant elements and events of their lives all mixed together in this so-called novel.

Judy seems almost panicky to pack so much into the first 3 chapters that she fails to allow the reader the room and scope to draw on their own imagination to develop the characters. I got the feeling that all aspects of the Finnigan/Madeley life were presented for our consideration: a home in Talland Bay, love of Cornwall, family and friends set-up, the well-documented loss of a friend; she managed to dovetail in personal details like depression and twins, despite assigning these incidences to other characters. Everything is hurried and we are suffocated in details which pad out a rather weak storyline.

The writing is flowery and sentimental; the dialogue is stilted. The book seems an indulgent means for the author to expose and tackle her fears and demons.

For me it is certainly not worth the money nor the time unless you are intrigued by the life and times of Judy Finnigan & co.

No apologies for this harsh critique. The rather sycophantic reviews don't really represent the value of this book as a literary piece. I really expected more.

3.0 out of 5 stars SPOILERS!, 30 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Eloise (Paperback)
Well, I started off very impressed.
Judy's writing style is laid-back and her words do lull you into a kind of summer-day dreamy state, as befitting, I suppose, part of the picture she is trying to paint of her beloved Cornwall.
It all went downhill for me, however, with the introduction of the luminous boy Arthur and Eloise's old diary entries.
The book seemed to become more and more twee and Mills and Boonish.
I also couldn't take the 'top psychiatrist' 'top artist' occupations/characters seriously.
Cathy's husband mostly seems like a bit of a prat.
My increasing and lasting impression is that Judy could surely do better than this. A feeling of something bish bash boshed together and hope nobody notices the cracks too much.
Why could Eloise never just come out with what she surely could have done in about three sentences??
Too much I just couldn't suspend my disbelief about.
I did want to keep reading, though, to see what happened next, where with worse books, I would have just given up and thrown them in the corner. Judy's attempt is, at least, not as bad as, say, Rosamund Lupton's 'Sister', which I think Richard and Judy (inexplicably) championed. Perhaps that should have been a clue that 'Eloise' wasn't going to be an outstanding book.
The next edition/reprint needs to iron out the 2 or 3 typo bloopers that are in there as well. A missing word in one case and a grammatical error or two.
I did get some enjoyment out of the book, admittedly less as it went on, and it did paint Cornwall quite well for me and make me want to live there myself!
Judy clearly 'writes about what she knows' - loads of bits made me think 'aha, I bet that's from her real life!'. I think that perhaps Judy, inspired by novels like DuMaurier's, tried to write the book in a 'bygone' style, although the setting is modern, and that has contributed to the 'Mills & Boon'/'Blyton'/'books for teenagers' impressions that a lot of people have got.
Anyway, I award 'Eloise' 3 stars and am now going to read with interest some of the other reviews.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - guess I expected more ..., 28 Oct. 2012
LoftyScribbler (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eloise (Kindle Edition)
I suppose it was inevitable, given the hype - that I expected too much of this debut novel from Judy. All in all, it was predictable, not written to the standard that I was expecting, given the comparison to DDM. The characters lacked the quality to engage me enough to care about them to the point where it was tiresome to finish the book. Not one to leave something incomplete I did finish it and felt that the final chapter was rushed with everything coming together. Early doors for Judy so won't write it off as a never to be repeated experience - will look forward to the next book with a more realistic expectation and then perhaps it will be a more enjoyable read.

Other reviews have mentioned that they could see Judy in the book - maybe this is also in part due to the alignment Judy herself has given with the character when talking about the book in radio broadcasts etc. Unfortunate really, as this may also have spoiled enjoyment for many.

Give it another go Judy - but next time - let's forget Cornwall (and Chris) and take you out of your comfort zone a little!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth your time, 15 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Eloise (Paperback)
This was not a good book. I didn't care about the characters, it felt really superficial, the dialogue was fake and stilted. Reading about the main character's marriage was like watching a table tennis match -- it went from "my darling husband, my rock I couldn't live without" to "we're done, he's leaving me, it's over" and then back to being madly in love again WAY too quickly and very unrealistically. I felt like I was reading a melodramatic 13 year-old's diary. This is just a vivid reminder of the reality of the publishing industry, that you don't necessarily need to be a good writer to get published -- you just need a famous name.

Eloise
Eloise by Judy Finnigan (Paperback - 28 Feb. 2013)