5.0 out of 5 stars Rafael - Laid Bare
Published on 21 Aug 2011 by SLP

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok
Wasn't a bad read, probably a bit young to write and autobiography. Pretty thin book too so you will burn through it very quickly.

I would only recommend you buy it if you have a strong interest in rafa
Published 12 months ago by C McCutcheon

5.0 out of 5 stars Rafael - Laid Bare, 21 Aug 2011
This review is from: Rafa: My Story (Hardcover)
This really is Rafael Nadal laid bare and with total honesty by himself, his family, friends and confidantes. As autobiographies go, this is my favourite and easiest read so far, and I have read some good ones so far. I guess it helps that I am a massive Rafa fan, but everything in the book smacks of total honesty, of absolute truth to the point of embarrassment, to just plain telling it like it is. It shows us how Rafa was brought up in the loving cocoon of his family, pushed to breaking point by Uncle Toni, how he shaped him, how Rafa flourished and grew as the most awesome tennis player we see today. Aside from all that, as if we need it, there are some great photos of him and his family and extended family. A truly great read if ever there was one, and the only book book I've bought since I got my kindle!

5.0 out of 5 stars A REAL INSIGHT INTO WHAT MAKES RAFA TICK., 24 Aug 2011
This review is from: Rafa: My Story (Hardcover)
I was eagerly awaiting Rafa's autobiography and pre-ordered it months ago, it was well worth the wait. I really enjoyed it and I read it in one weekend as I couldn't put it down, it's a real page turner!

It gives a real insight into what makes Rafa tick, it's very honest, inspiring and really interesting; I've been a fan of Rafa's for 6 years and I admire him even more after reading this book.

The book is really well written and each chapter has 2 sections, the 1st written by Rafa and the 2nd by John Carlin with more info and insights. I especially like the way he describes Rafa as "Clark Kent and Superman" and reveals that Rafa has fears and insecurites (as most of us do & can relate to) but the way he conquers them and has achieved all he has is a real inspiration. I also love the inclusion of Rafa's family giving more inights about his personality.

There are 16 pages of colour photos in it ranging from when Rafa was a child to his US Open win last year.

A great book, Rafa fans will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for tennis and sports fans alike, 1 Sep 2011
This review is from: Rafa: My Story (Hardcover)
A revealing insight to one of the greatest players of the game, Rafa speaks candidly about injury, family, friends and what went through his mind during that epic Wimbledon 08 final, and all captured beautifully by John Carlin. When reading the book you feel that Rafa is sitting beside you telling you his story, you become engrossed in the highs and lows of his career and the impact Uncle Toni has had, particularly in the early years. For me as an avid Rafa fan the importance of family to him was well known, how they have shaped him to be the person he is and how he remains so grounded simply because of those around him is fascinating. John Carlin also brings an added dimension to the book speaking to those closest to Rafa, this being his parents, sister, girlfriend and extended family who each individually talk about one of most famous men on the planet but see him simply as a son, brother, boyfriend, nephew or grandchild. Rafa also speaks about his team who travels with him and importance they play not only in his tennis career but in keeping him sane when travelling the world. A must read for any tennis or sports fan, Rafa My Story is beautifully written and full of gems, I was genuinely sad to come to the end of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for Rafa fans., 25 Aug 2011
This review is from: Rafa: My Story (Hardcover)
A wonderful and long awaited insight into the life of this sporting genius. It reinforces the humility he shows both on and off the court as well as cataloging his aims, values and what makes him tick. The honesty from both Rafa and his family members and friends is refreshing. An excellent account of his career so far and his hopes, fears and aims for the future. Worth every penny and some lovely photograhs as well. Enjoy !!

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT BOOK BY A GREAT SPORTSMAN., 6 Sep 2011
This review is from: Rafa: My Story (Hardcover)
I love Rafa's story, it's honest, interesting and enjoyable to the point of not being able to stop reading until I'd finished it. Yes, I read it in one sitting and am hoping for a sequil! I'm also reading this again now!

I'm a huge Rafa fan but I think any tennis fan would enjoy reading this as would any sports fan.

I do tend to buy anything Rafa related and read anything Rafa related (I did say I'm a huge fan!) but don't let that put you off if you're not such a big fan of his because I'm sure any tennis or sports fan or ametaur player would be interested and motivated to read Rafa's story, his highs and lows and his determination to overcome setbacks is very inspiring as is the fact that he's genuine and considerate person, it shows you don't have to smash rackets and be rude to people to be successful, he's a great example for young kids starting out in tennis or other sports, they couldn't have a better role model or hero to look up to and emulate.

Other fans of Rafa's would also enjoy The Poetry of Passion (for People with a Pulse) which contains lots of poems about him (in the very long chapter called "A Fan's Feelings") I also read that in one sitting and keep re-reading it!) also the DVD of the Wimbledon 2008 final which Rafa talks about in his book Wimbledon The 2008 Mens Final - Nadal vs Federer: Rafael Nadal's Triumph at Twilight [DVD] A must for Rafa fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 25 Aug 2011
This review is from: Rafa: My Story (Hardcover)
** spoiler alert ** As a huge Rafa fan this was interesting to read, mainly for the indepth match analysis he gives for the 2008 Wimbledon final. I am sure many people watch these big matches and wonder what is going through the players minds during a massive occasion like that and here we have one of the biggest players ever giving us a blow by blow account.
There are definitely no big revelations, I knew all the stories he referred to in here, from the eating too many chocolate croissants, having special shoes designed to uncle Toni telling him he could make it rain, so if you're a long time Rafa fan who follows him closely you're not going to learn anything new from this at all.
The only thing that did surprise me was the level at which he discussed Toni's strictness, again I have known about the water bottle thing for a while, as well as the restaurant/trouser incident but it was different reading it from Rafa's perspective and it comes across that Rafa is in no doubt that Toni's behaviour helped to mould him into the player he is today, along with his very supportive parents.
Overall a good read with some interesting point of view information but not the warts and all kind of book that Agassi gave us, which is actually not what a Rafa fan should expect anyway. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Sep 2011
Peter Munn (Chambery, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rafa: My Story (Hardcover)
I am a huge Rafa fan and really enjoyed finding out more about the real him! I understand better what his honesty, integrity, humility and humanity are built on. And of course his enormous passion to win. Has anyone ever seen a sportsman with more determination? We see how the divorce of his parents was a heavy blow to his united clan who are SO supportive and his special relationship with Uncle Toni. A remarkable book about a remarkable sportsman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it! Read it. Share it., 11 Sep 2011
This review is from: Rafa: My Story (Hardcover)
This book was a fantastic read. It made me battle hard to hold back tears at times, kept me on the edge of my seat so to speak (made me return to its pages between, during and after other tasks, some of which took a back burner till I finished reading it in a day) and in the end made me make a note to myself "take a leaf from this lad's approach to life." Rafa is Rafa there simply isn't anyone like him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rafa My Story, 26 Aug 2011
This review is from: Rafa: My Story (Hardcover)
As an avid Rafael Nadal fan I was very impressed with how honest and candid he was with the relationships he has with his family, and the people that have helped mould him into the great champion we all witness on television. His accounts of his childhood and his relationship with Uncle Toni show that he has to endure relentless pressure to stay ontop of his game. This is quite literally Rafa exposed showing he also has insecurities and worries,but who is still the humble true gent we see on t.v.
Unlike so many sports professionals who take for granted what they have Rafa still stays true to his roots in Manacor and his family are always forefront of his mind, an excellent read and I would recommend this to anyone whether you are a tennis fan or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for any tennis fan, 13 Sep 2011
This review is from: Rafa: My Story (Hardcover)
I must admit, when I found out that Rafa had a ghost writer involved in this I had my doubts, but through the obvious translatory subsequences there lies here a real essence of Rafael Nadal. This book is a first, in that Nadal is famously private despite his very public presence, yet in the opening pages the reader learns of every important person in Nadal's life.

This is a very personal book, not like 'Open' but, still, a genuine journey through Nadal's career so far, and starts cleverly with the 2008 Wimbledon final. Immediately, the reader is drawn into the psyche of a successful, professional yet human athlete and much of that is down to the eloquent writing of John Carlin.

Buy this book, curl up on the sofa, or in bed, and enjoy every word.........it's an excellent read

Rafa: My Story
Rafa: My Story by John Carlin (Paperback - 7 Jun 2012)