Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 January 2014
Drew wakes up in a hospital bed. A detective is standing over him with a crime scene photo - a particularly gruesome photo, showing the blooding dead body of a woman. And than his world falls to pieces, as the detective tells him that he is in hospital recovering from a brain haemorrhage, and that whilst suffering a seizure brought on by the haemorrhage he murdered his ex-fiancee. His current girlfriend does not want to know him any more. Drew does not know any more what to believe, and cannot even trust himself. Did he or didn't he do it? He sets out to solve himself what 's happened by writing everything down in a story. But whatever he tries to find out more information, he gets the feeling that someone is trying to frame him.

I really did enjoy this book. it. Some reviews find the book too confusing, but I did not think this to be the case. I did find it an engaging read, and yes, it drags a bit at the beginning and speeds up towards the middle/end,but isn't that true for many books. As with many of my favourite books, the main protagonist is , once again, a writer. Writers write about what they know best - writing. But here we have a good plot and also a surprise ending. What more could I want from a good, entertaining read.
on 19 October 2012
This is an unusual thriller, full of quirky yet believable characters, dark humour and a twisted plot which left me guessing until (almost) the final scene. Our protagonist, Andrew Denner, is a writer of crime thrillers, and finds himself accused of the murder of his ex-fiancé, but he remembers nothing of the night of September 22nd. As a cathartic exercise Drew begins to write a new book about the situation in which he finds himself, only to realise that his previous books were full of clichés. His editor's comments are sometimes hilarious. When another body is found things can only go from bad to worse, but you should read the book yourself..... I loved it!
on 2 July 2013
It took a few chapters for me to be hooked, but once I got into the book, I couldn't put it down. Drew Danner, a writer finds himself waking up in hospital, with no idea of how he got there. He is accused of murdering an ex-girlfriend. His current girlfriend wants nothing more to do with him and Drew himself is unsure of whether he did commit the murder or not. He needs to prove his innocence, but how? He decides to try and solve the crime by turning it into his next book. He asks for help from his various contacts in the LAPD and forensics, but someone is trying to frame him. Someone is staying one step ahead and leaving him messages.
on 10 March 2012
When I started this book I thought it was very odd but found I couldn't put it down. Gregg Hurwitz didn't disappoint as usuall his books are alway different and take you by surprise.
on 31 October 2007
LA based author Drew Danner is accused of murdering his ex-fiancé, but he has no memory of the actual event.

The book is about Danner's attempt to find out what actually happened. It is written in a first person narrative. Along the way Danner is writing his own book about what happens to him. Small sections of that book appear within "I See You" along with comments from his editor, Preston. Almost like a book within a book.

There are a number of interesting characters in "I See You", particularly the editor Preston, and a pair of truly unlikable LAPD detectives.

The shallowness of LA is brought home to the reader. Chapter 35 contains a fantastic rant about LA "wanabees". It's almost worth reading the book for that alone.

Because there does end up being more than one murder in the book, it would be quite tempting for the author to plump for a highly unoriginal serial killer based plot. Thankfully that doesn't happen. Preston mentions in the book that serial killer stories aren't that captivating. I couldn't agree more....
on 11 November 2008
This book really caught my attention, very well written Thriller.

Characters are very well built up, and i like the way the two L.A.P.D detectives are developed, bringing you to really dislike them.

The writing style kept me interested, Highly recommended book.
on 16 September 2007
I bought 'I See You' at the airport before jetting off on my holiday. Something about it just grabbed me, although I'm not normally one to pick up a Crime novel. It is a bit slow starting but once I was past the first few chapters, I was hooked. I was disappointed when I finished it, not because of the ending, but because I just wanted to read more!! My boyfriend also got hooked (again, not one for crime novels). As soon as I was back from my holiday I went straight to the book shop to buy another of his books but came back with two; 'The Program' and 'Trouble Shooter'. (Sorry Amazon, I just had to buy them straight away!) Now I've just got to choose which one to start reading first.
on 23 March 2011
I have read all the recent Hurwitz novels and think they are brilliant-well-written, with the author dragging the reader along for the roller-coaster ride.

This,however, one of the writers earlier efforts, is just too confusing. I didn't understand where I was being taken and what was happening (and I don't think I am dim!)

As a result, it is probably the first book in a long while that I have given up on.Destined for the dustbin or a charity shop I am afraid.

Given the success of his other books, I am really disappointed by this effort.
on 12 March 2011
I bought this book after reading glowing reports,please don`t make the same mistake.Usually i can read a book in a couple of days but after perservering for the best part of a week i only reached page 180.At times the language used was alien to me and despite reading a section two or three times i could not understand what the author was on about,eventually i gave up,not something i like doing.It would be very interesting to know if anyone agrees with me.
on 10 February 2013
it's not the only story from Gregg Hurwitz and i am waiting for more book from the author. a good thriller.