5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!
This is the first novel I have read by Lucy Anne Holmes and it certainly won't be my last.

Published on 5 Dec 2011 by T. Broom

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 19 Mar 2012 by Ms. J. Chimes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 5 Dec 2011
T. Broom (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unlike a Virgin (Paperback)

This book had everything from tears to laughing out loud moments. When I first bought this book I was expecting a light hearted read but the story of Gracie Flowers has so much depth. Just as you think she will get her happy ending there is another hurdle to climb and you can't help but fall in love with the character.

Very well written and I would recommend it to anyone.

Can't wait to read Lucy Anne Holmes other books now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 Mar 2012
This review is from: Unlike a Virgin (Paperback)
I bought the first two books beforehand, and utterly adored them. Lucy-anne homes became my new favourite authoress and i had high hopes for her, but when reading this new book (of which i was chomping at the bit for it to be released) i was solely disappointed. The story telling and writing seemed poor and amateurish - unlike the last two. The characters were unbelievable and annoying. Not to mention within the first two chapters you could see where this was going, there were no fun surprises. It didn't make you laugh at all. The last two did, and i thought this was the style of the authoress. Apparently i was wrong....

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to Love!, 13 Sep 2011
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Unlike a Virgin (Paperback)
The cover makes the book seem like a fun read, but I have to tell you that while there are a few really funny bits, the feel of the book is a lot darker and more emotional than I imagined, but in my opinion, the book is all the better for it!

The characters in this book are really what it's all about, and they are what you really keeps you reading. Gracie Flowers is the main character, and the narrator of the book. She's a character who has many levels - she's confident at work when she's being an estate agent, yet when she's at home and pondering things, she's very unsure and unconfident and you really feel her emotions along with her as things unravel for her in the book. She's very warm as a person and I thought she was just great, one of my favourite leading ladies in a long time. She goes through lots of things in the book, but my favourite thing with Gracie was her relationship with her dead father, she just sits at his grave and talks to him and I thought this part of the book was so beautifully done, and was very touching to read. Relationship-wise for Gracie, it isn't at all obvious who she will end up with and I loved that Holmes managed to keep us guessing until the end. Gracie's other relationships in the book were well written too, especially with her mother which felt awkward but things much clearer as the book progresses, and I like how this relationship grew.

There is a quite a bit going on in the book, and it's hard to pick out one story as being more important than another because for me, they were all a vital part of the book, and the formation of Gracie. There's Gracie's job as an estate agent and the battle she's having with her new boss after being looked over for the promotion she's wanted for so long, but I loved seeing a character who really enjoyed going to work, and this comes out in her narrative of her job. There's also her relationships (or lack of) with men, her mother, her (dead) father and her fab best friend Wendy too, and also there's Gracie's singing. We don't initially know why Gracie loves music but refuses to sing herself but as this story unfolds, it's incredibly touching and well handled by Holmes, and something you certainly don't expect from a book I expected to be a laugh a minute... it's emotional, and it makes for wonderful reading.

This is Holmes' best novel by far, and I'm definitely to looking forward to what is to come in the next few years with Sphere. This book is a triumph, it's an emotional book about Gracie Flowers finding herself and growing as a person, and the journey it takes along the way is heart-warming and wonderful too. I enjoyed every page of this book, and I know it'll be a keeper on my bookshelves as one to pick up when I'm struggling to find anything I want to read. While the comedy of her previous books isn't as obvious as before, or indeed as present, everything else in this book more than makes up for it. If you haven't read Holmes' work before, then this is going to be a great place to start and if you aren't new to her works, be prepared to be blown away by the turn Holmes has taken with this book. Don't let the cover put you off if you aren't into bright, colourful looking chick-lit books, the story within is more than worth a punt. Fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars First & not the last.., 27 Sep 2011
This review is from: Unlike a Virgin (Paperback)
This is the first Lucy Holmes book i've read & certainly won't be the last.

Our heroine Gracie -i fell in love with - slightly manic at first and takes some getting used to the constant quips & one liners (how we would all love to be like that!)

but as the story goes on -you soon realise that this is not your average 'chick lit' - yes laugh out loud moments and fab characters (Bob the builder - i want one) but also some dark moments - i particulary found the moments when Gracie panicks about singing & does something which could be seen as very disturbing, hard to read without really feeling for her.

The story unfolds beautifully, but ulike other reviewers, i don't think there needs to be sequel - i love the ending & its just perfect. The last few chapters in the third person, i think worked well.

A great read & one i would re-read again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable, 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: Unlike a Virgin (Kindle Edition)
I'm not normally into chick-lit but this was on at 99p so I thought, meh, why not?

Have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised at how readable this is. I really warmed to the characters, Gracie Flowers is someone I felt like I had known for ages, and I know this is a little cliched but it's a real page-turner. I actually fell asleep and woke up with it still in my hand one morning. The sign of a good book : )

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: Unlike a Virgin (Kindle Edition)
I never write product reviews but having just finished this book, I just had to encourage anyone who is looking for a heart warming yet funny book to get this!

I read this book very quickly as I was hooked instantly! It had me crying, laughing and smiling to myself.... great for me but so so much for my fellow commuters.

If you enjoy authors like Lindsey Kelk and Sophie Kinsella, then this is for you. Also, read their books if you havent already!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing grace, 14 May 2012
This review is from: Unlike a Virgin (Paperback)
well this has been the quickest iv ever read a book..it was a fantastic read, it had everything laughter,sadness,love.it follows the highs and lows of gracie flowers an estste agent/singer who goes through allsorts of problems and heartache untill she finally gets the best day of her life.a lovely warm hearted read which will make you laugh,cry and be so pleased you read it.. would certainly recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Jan 2012
This review is from: Unlike a Virgin (Paperback)
I loved this author's first novel. It was chick lit but not the typical sort which really appeals to me. I liked the dry sense of humour, the characters and the fact that the main character wasn't perfect. The perfect lead character spoils most chick lit novels in my opinion as I just can't relate to them. In her 2nd novel the author had strayed a bit from what I initially liked and whilst it was a follow up to the 1st novel, she had drastically changed many characters for the sake of a story line.

This 3rd effort was beyond disappointing. To me it is mainstream mindless chick-lit. I obviously don't pick up this genre of novel for an intellectual read but I don't want to be insulted either with utterly see-through plot situations and every "twist" being predictable. I read the book so quickly so that I could be free of it and it was just painful reading about things that were so obviously going to happen.

The author did her usual trick, common across all three novels, of rushing the ending. It was like the book was written with being made into a film in mind. Almost like a montage kind of effect at the end, rapidly wrapping up bits of the plot that has previously been dragged painfully out.

If you liked her first book for being a bit different to the usual thing then this isn't for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite novel!, 21 Oct 2011
This review is from: Unlike a Virgin (Kindle Edition)
I read (un)like a virgin in just two days because I couldn't put it down. It really is a laugh out loud book (so much so that a got some very strange looks on the tube) but it still includes some need a tisssue moments which you can really relate to, making this novel an all-rounder which anyone would love. I have read all three of Lucy Anne-Holmes' books and would thoroughly recommend them all, I just hope she writes another!

5.0 out of 5 stars Virgin is the best book I've read this year, 15 Sep 2011
This review is from: Unlike a Virgin (Paperback)
I completely and utterly loved this novel. I've read the author's two earlier novels: 50 Ways to Find a Lover and The (Im)Perfect Girlfriend, which I really enjoyed, but this one is the best by far. The author's style has really evolved and and the storyline is more ambitious than the first books. It's still very funny but there's also a depth and poignancy to this storyline and these characters, which makes it a book I'd recommend to women of all ages. I laughed a lot and I also cried but I'm not telling you why as I don't want to give anything away. There's plenty of surprises in this novel and characters and situations that are so relatable. I can't recommend it highly enough.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Unlike a Virgin
Unlike a Virgin by Lucy-Anne Holmes (Paperback - 15 Sep 2011)
5.99