5.0 out of 5 stars A good man caught on the horns of our legal system
Published on 18 April 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing ending
There ia an air of mystery and anticipation at the beginning: how is Nash going to deal with this particular case and the problems it presents?

Published on 20 May 2011 by smithandcarlos

5.0 out of 5 stars A good man caught on the horns of our legal system, 18 April 1998
By A Customer
Do the Johnny Cochrans and F. Lee Baileys of this world have a conscience? That's what we mere mortals want to know when we see how fiercely they fight (and manipulate!) to have murderers acquitted and returned to our streets. Are they men to whom money, fame and winning the case are all that matters? Or are they, like Margolin's protagonist David Nash, caught in a system where they are morally and legally obligated to do everything in their power to save their clients -- however guilty they might perceive those clients to be? What happens when a defense attorney becomes too good at what he does -- too good at manipulating facts and mastering juries? Margolin, himself a highly successful defense attorney, as well as author of a growing list of explosive legal thrillers, comes to grips wih this dilemma, where all too often it is not Justice but the ability of the defense that determines whether an innocent person goes to prison or a monster is released to continue preying on society.
Brilliant, unbeatable David Nash has reached the pinnacle of his career, but that pinnacle doesn't look the way he thought it would. He became a defense attorney with the ideal of saving the innocent and improving the world. But now he finds that, "there aren't many innocent people around here," and feels that, for the most part, he is turning the worst kind of fiends loose on the world he had hoped to make better. He is losing faith in himself and in his career. Then, just in time, comes his dream: An Innocent Man, deserving of the best defense Nash can give him. But then, when he learns that his "last innocent man" has lied to him and used him and is therefore Presumed Guilty, he falls into a deep depression. There he wallows in the morass until he receives a shock so horrendous that he is impelled to pull himself up and re-enter the fray. Now Nash must find a way to bring down the wiliest and most diabolical killer in order to save not only his soul but his very life -- and the life of! the woman he loves.
While I found more spine-tingling suspense in some other Mogolin novels, especially in Gone But Not Forgotten, this novel is just as compelling in its own way. Another fabulous win for this author -- and for all of us who just can't wait for another Phillip Margolin to hit the stands!

5.0 out of 5 stars Margolin is superb!, 23 Mar 1998
By A Customer
Ever since "Gone But Not Forgotten", Margolin has astonished me with his ability to grab the reader with the first page, and hold tightly til the end. "The Last Innocent Man" is all the evidence needed to understand why Margolin's books continue to show up on the best seller's list.
In "The Last Innocent Man", our hero's efforts to redeem himself clash with our own as we struggle to make sense of the evidence, and manipulate it to fit with our own verdict. We desperately want an innocent verdict, but blindly ignore increasing evidence to the contrary. When all seems lost, Margolin delivers with remarkable insight and purpose. A fabulous book. I can hardly wait for the next "The Undertaker's Widow".

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Aug 2007
Mrs. A. M. Chadwick (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is only the second novel I've read by Phillip Margolin.

Phillip Margolin is a retired lawyer and he's been a full time writer since 1996.

I quickly got caught up in the story of David Nash, a defence attorney who has made a career of letting allsorts of horrific people go free. This case could redeem Nash for everything he's done in the past as he sets out to help another lawyer who has been falsely accursed of a murder he didn't commit.I don't want to say too much about the story as I really don't want to spoil it for you.

This author grabs you right from the start, and it's a novel I found hard to put down. I found the story kept my interest and it certainly wasn't boring.

He's an excellent author who knows what his readers want. I'm about to start another of his novels which I'm looking forward to. :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing ending, 20 May 2011
This review is from: The Last Innocent Man (Paperback)

The more you read the more you realise the issues raised by the author at the beginning are not really being addressed. The ending is far-fetched and totally at odds with the rest of the book. There is no mystery. The author, very lazily, directs the reader towards a ridiculous ending.

I have given the book 3 stars, but only because it is very easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Injoyed will read author, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Last Innocent Man (Paperback)
Injoyed will read author again

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good!, 19 April 1998
By A Customer
Hello..I read the bood for my english independent study..It was good,but I need some help..about what to use for my thesis statement, and what 3 points to use? I already thought about it..but I need your opinion???

The Last Innocent Man
The Last Innocent Man by Phillip M. Margolin (Paperback - 16 Sep 2010)