4.0 out of 5 stars Splendid spoof on the fiction of paranoia
I read another book by Jesse Kellerman which I didn't like and which disappointed me, so I picked this one up with some trepidation.
I loved it! It's a marvellous spoof on so many of the current thrillers which may be fairly exciting but tend to make me think: 'Oh dear, not the CIA again doing their bit to save/ruin the world!"
For a start I liked the lack of...
Published 16 months ago by Penny Waugh

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying voice
Published 18 months ago by D. Miller

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying voice, 19 Sept. 2013
D. Miller "My listening depends on where I am... (Chesterfield, Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Audio Cassette)
OK, so I am listening to this book at the moment. I am not sure who is reading it to me, but his voice, when speaking for Arthur makes the man seem like he has nothing to live for. This, in itself is making the book even less enjoyable than it might already have been. From almost the start, I had no idea where this book was going to take me, and half way through, I am still not certain, and not sure that I care. I have read/listened to other of Jesse's books, and never enjoyed them as much as his parents' books. His strategy seems to be completely different to theirs, but that is not a bad thing. I don't like the fictional countries, I'm sure he could have used real ones, no-one is going to check Wikipaedia for verisimilitude! Unlike other writers, none of his characters earn my respect or interest. His daughter is a bitch, he sounds like he wants to end it all, Jamieson has apperared in the middle of the book, but I don't remember him previously (that might be my failing!) All in all, I will probably contuinue to the end because I have no other book to listen to, right now. But I don't think I could muster the energy to actually pick the book up and continue to read it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh sweet lord make it stop, 24 Oct. 2013
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Paperback)
I picked up this book in a 3 for £5 and feel heartily ripped off. It is utterly terrible, and possibly one of the WORST books I have ever read - and I have read Dan Brown novels - it starts off with an interesting premise but then just goes utterly bonkers and not in a good way. With plot contrivance, and stupidity and utter tedium following.

I am not surprised the back cover is worded as it is because to describe the plot would stop people from buying it and I am sure the alternate wording the publishers really wanted would have been along the lines of "For goodness sake don't buy this book it is terrible but the Author threatened to come round and make us listen to the audio version on permanent repeat if we didn't publish!"

In short do not buy this, move along, try something less painful like an all-over body wax perhaps?

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book ever, 2 Nov. 2013
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Paperback)
This book was so bad that I kept reading it thinking I must be missing something, surely it must get better else how did it come to be published?

Trust me it NEVER did get better. I have been left gobsmacked and like most other reviewers certain of only one thing ....... I will never waste my time or money on this "author" again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Spoof novels need to be funny, 27 Feb. 2014
Spinoza (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Paperback)
This is a spoof thriller novel. It has three major problems:

1) Sphere market it as a real thriller presumably because they felt sales would fall if they were honest on the jacket cover and they did not want to blow the story since for the first 100 pages it is interesting i.e before it turns to spoof. Obviously,in future, you need to be cautious about trusting Sphere as a publishing house.

2) The author's narcissism shines through. He does not mind serving up drivel to his audience showing real contempt for his readers.

3) Most importantly, it's not funny.

1.0 out of 5 stars Belly Flop, 21 Nov. 2012
Barbara Farrelly (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Paperback)
After a boating accident, William de Valle's body was never recovered so his wife Carlotta and his friends and colleagues held a funeral with an empty casket where the famous thriller writer was eulogised as a titan of the publishing industry.
De Valle's oldest friend, Arthur Pfefferkorn, who teaches creative writing at a small college, had years ago published a pretentious novel called Shade of the Colossus about a young man's struggle to free himself from a domineering father who belittles his son's attempts at art. While Pfefferkorn's friend pumped out a string of best sellers featuring special agent Dick Stapp making him a millionaire and household name, Pfferkorn never published another word.
The title, I'll Catch You, is the inscription Pfferkorn had arrogantly written in a copy of his book that he gave de Valle - a book, which held pride of place in the barn where the Dick Stapp blockbusters were made on an old typewriter.
After the funeral Pfferkorn finds himself alone in de Valle's barn.
He reflects that growing up he hadn't felt jealous of Bill. His friend was wealthier but Arthur always consoled himself that his form of power was better - he was the intellectual. He was The Writer.
Earlier in the evening Pfferkorn had made love to Bill's widow - a woman he had longed for all of his life.
As dawn broke he was sitting in his best friend's chair staring at an unpublished manuscript, the latest Dick Stapp adventure.
The publishers of I'll Catch You took the unusual step of not telling the reader what this thriller was about claiming it was spectacular and absolutely unexpected.
Up until the time Pfferkorn steals the manuscript, passes it off as his own work and reaps a fortune as a best seeling author, this book is a good read.
But never have I seen such a belly flop after a swan dive that looked so promising.
The second half of I'll Catch You is screwball trash.
Jesse Kellerman is the son the more famous Kellermans - Jonathon and Faye.
He's got the pedigree but not the talent.
Don't bother.

4.0 out of 5 stars Splendid spoof on the fiction of paranoia, 25 Nov. 2013
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Paperback)
For a start I liked the lack of blurb, and also the spoof reviews by currently famous authors on the books of the 'author' William de Vallee. Obviously something was up and taking the whole thing seriously just wasn't on.
The story chugged along merrily for a time, recounting the mainly down side of attempting to write books. Art Pfefferkorn in his youth wrote a book he thought was good and has written nothing since. When an unpublished manuscript by a dead friend comes into his possession he is tempted.
From there it is all downhill. Codes implanted in stories apparently leading to assassinations or worse until Art and his lover Carlotta are kidnapped, vilified and exposed to general mayhem and fear of death.
It is all good clean fun; my only criticism is that the Zladian element, particularly the poetry, just went on too long. Fifty pages less and it would have got five stars from me.
Art is a basically sad man who finds himself, for a time anyway.
As I said, I loved it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Shocking waste of paper, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Kindle Edition)
This is the worst book I have ever read, clearly a case of riding on the parents reputation, nobody else would have ever got this rubbish into print. It has potential in the first 50 or so pages then deteriorates into mindless waffle with a quick role up at the end. I skipped hundreds of pages with no loss of plot just so I could say I had finished it and could give it back to the library.

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Rubbish, 15 Oct. 2013
Dave Burgess (Spalding Lincs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Paperback)
As other readers have commented the first 80 or so pages didn't go anywhere but was readable whilst you waited for a plot to materise but then it became total rubbish - a 5 year old could have written better!! It is the first and without fail the last time I will ever read one of his books!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars worst book ive ever read, 5 Aug. 2013
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Kindle Edition)
i have never read anything like this before and hope never to again, absolute rubbish!!!
this is the first jesse kellerman book ive tried and wont be wasting my time on any of his other titles. if there was an option in the ratings for no stars that is what i would give this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars WTF?, 7 July 2013
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Paperback)
My partner read this book, and then asked me to read. Not because he thought it was good, but because he wanted someone to go through the same thing he did.
At the start I actually quite enjoyed the read- it started off as a thriller about a failed writer, Arthur Pfeffercorn, plagiarising his dead friend's last manuscript and becoming a success. Then at page 80 or so it just became weird. But not in a good way. It was weird and nonsensical, confusing, annoying and quite irritating. It didn't make any sense whatsoever, and the read was rather frustrating as Arthur travels from the US to fictional countries of east and west zlabia and back in plot that felt like a 6 year old on drugs dreamed up.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

I'll Catch You
I'll Catch You by Jesse Kellerman (Paperback - 11 Oct. 2012)