Published on 4 Sep 2012 by Chris Seaward

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, ruined for me by the style.
There is a great deal of waffle, he keeps addressing the reader as "my friend", adding " you will be wondering about this, I will tell you". He has a great story to tell, cut the patronising and get on with it.

Whoever was to have been assigned the reading of his PhD thesis, on the basis of this book, has been spared a tedious task
Published 9 months ago by R. B. Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars All The Big Stuff you know you want to understand but don't..., 4 Sep 2012
I just spent two days on a sailing boat with no wind; luckily I downloaded this book. It is the best popular science book I have read and I have read many over the years. As Ben Miller explains early on, this book is about the highlights of science and it is to be enjoyed not learnt. The style reflects his excellent comic sense and timing as he gets to the point quickly and pithily with lots of juicy facts and figures that make you say "you won't believe this but... And "did you know..." to anyone sitting nearby. So read alone if you can...A key aspect of the books appeal is that Miller has not dumbed down the facts and theories to the point that you are not enlightened or indeed do not need to think, its just the way he explains the complexity that opens up subjects that previously were shrouded in mystery.

If you have ever wondered about the origins and potential fate of the universe, earth and man, all wrapped up in quantum physics, stars, nuclear fusion, global warming, E=mc2, human evolution, fossils, how the earth was formed, DNA, victoria sponges, the Maillard reaction, space travel, Gordon Ramsey, and aliens then this is the right book for you.

I would recommend this book wholeheartedly

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, even for the scientifically challenged..!, 24 Aug 2012
Mrs. H. A. Taylor Nicholson "moon525" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It's Not Rocket Science is an excellent book having a whip through the latest scientific thoughts and research of the day, written by sometime particle physicist and now comedian and actor, Ben Miller. I like Miller's light style and amusing allegorical comparisons. You may have to slow down a bit once in a while to grasp some of the concepts, but as Miller says no one has to understand all or even any of it and to just enjoy the ride, which I most certainly have. Even made sure that friends and family have a copy! I really hope Ben does a follow up of some sort. Great reading and an introduction to science itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book for brushing up, 23 July 2012
Got this book last week and have finished it already. It tackles all the scientific ideas that you really should understand and have opinions on but, frankly, don't, and makes them feel accessible - joyful even. As someone who recently struggled to explain gravity to an eight-year-old niece, it was a revelation to have concepts broken down into such appetising chunks. Thoroughly recommend to anyone who didn't 'choose' science. Should also be required reading for parents so they can enthuse the next generation - the author makes it feel like a total pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just superb, 5 Oct 2012
If you liked Cosmos and A Short History of Nearly Everything then this is the book for you . A humorous highly readable summary of the most exciting science around. I particularly liked the climate change and human evolution sections. For me the book hots up after the first chapter . When I get half way through a book I usually either think-good not long to go now-or damn its nearly finished.The latter is how I felt about this book. I even found myself underlining sections and making notes (sad ? possibly but it is a gem of a book you will want to keep and not trade in)

I was reminded of the genetics I had forgotten and was especially interested in the lactose intolerance section . Ben Miller's intelligence comes through in his comedy but I hope he harnesses it for more of the same in the popular science field.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Superb Book!, 29 July 2012
I'm just over halfway through this and want to write a review now because the book hasn't had many so far and certainly deserves lots.

I knew next to nothing about the author before purchasing the book. Although I remember him doing an excellent BBC documentary on heat and temperature, and bought the book on the strength of the kindle sample. Within a few pages I hooked, AND I've read a few popular science books over the years, but Ben Miller has such an easy way of writing I'm surprised this is one of his first books (I may be wrong as I'm not up on the comedy scene)?

I recently read Bill Brysons 'a short history of nearly everything' and although also an excellent book I prefer Miller's book, and his way of writing. It's probably because he's a Brit and a similar age to myself. I would like to think it's the sort of book I could write but I've not even got one percent of Miller's talent!

NB
I will update this review when I finished the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars bought as presents, 31 May 2013
I bought this book for presents for friends, as it seems a very interesting read for curious minds, hope it will go down well and the pages keep turning for the recipient of the books, saw Ben on T.V talking about the book which prompted my purchase. Happy at the price paid seems good value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars Physics for those of us who wanna be..., 26 July 2013
Brilliant read - covers everything from the LHC to DNA and back again. An excellent, engaging and funny science book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Science made easy, 16 July 2013
For anyone who wants to learn a little about current scientific discoveries this is a must. It introduces you to a variety of subjects and leaves it up to you to investigate in depth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great insight in plain English, 2 July 2013
I like Ben Miller as a comedian and this book shoed another side to him. It gives really simple explanations of a number of big scientific areas. It's not pitched too high but at the same time doesn't patronise or show off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Read, 27 Jun 2013
Absolutely a wonderful book bringing complex science concepts down to easily understood and discussed banter done with a flare only Miller could do. Loved this book-- the audio book is also great as it is read by Ben himself, you really hear the passion for the subject.

It's Not Rocket Science
It's Not Rocket Science by Ben Miller (Paperback - 2 Jan 2014)