5.0 out of 5 stars More enchanting than I could possibly imagine.
I picked this book up in the charity shop I work in. Love Actually is my favourite film of all time and I thought- "Yeah! I'll give this a go. I hope it's as good as it looks!"

Published on 4 Mar 2012 by Rachel

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant premise, nice light read
Having lived in London for a while I was immediately attracted to this book and it didn't fail to keep me interested, although, as other readers have said, the characters are a tad two dimensional. Good writer though, and I would read another of her books.
Published on 4 Jan 2011 by Love2ReadUK

5.0 out of 5 stars More enchanting than I could possibly imagine., 4 Mar 2012
This review is from: From Notting Hill with Love... Actually (Paperback)

Let me tell you now- it's absolutely brilliant. I thought it would be slightly predictable, maybe one or two flaws, but as the story unfolded I found myself increasingly in awe of how clever and how perfectly the author fits in the film references. I'm not one to laugh out loud at books, but this one had me gasping, cheering, bawling my eyes out and grinning until my face ached. The film references are witty, well placed, and as embarrassing as it is to admit this, I picked up on every single little reference. The jewellery box key, the cooking scene with Sean, Disneyland, the french porter named Pierre, the Star Wars wedding, that fountain...and Sean's surprise at the end- I cannot possibly think of a better ending.

The characters are brilliantly written. The elderly couple in the hotel, Oscar, Dermot and Finley...the policemen! You instantly understand Scarlett's film obsession, you love Sean, and you even feel sorry for David! I love Scarlett's dad to pieces- and really start to feel for her mother, even though I'm not sure I quite ever forgave her.

The cameo appearances from celebrities are great too, and the film facts at the end were a really lovely touch. I'll definitely be looking out for Bernard in every Richard Curtis film from now on!

I literally read the entire thing in about 6 hours. The perfect rom-com, and just when you think something predictable will happen- BAM! in comes another film reference.

If you're a fan of Notting Hill, Love Actually, Pretty Woman, Chocolat, Bridget Jones' Diary, Gone with the Wind, Sleepless in Seattle, The Blues Brothers- or any film with Hugh Grant or Colin Firth in it- I guarantee you will be awestruck by the sheer brilliance of this book. I actually cried at how much Scarlett reminds me of myself.I know I'm a soppy, hopeless romantic- but it's genuinely the funniest and sweetest book I've read in a long time. It definitely does the films justice. I honestly can't fault it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!!, 20 Dec 2010
This review is from: From Notting Hill with Love... Actually (Paperback)
This book is absolutely brilliant; if you love a good romance combined with comedy and a total feel good factor this is the book of the decade. I can't say enough good things about it; now I've read this I can't wait for Ali's next book. I would love to see this made in to a movie it would be the ultimate feel good film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like watching your favourite Richard Curtis movie for the umpteenth time., 19 Jan 2011
This review is from: From Notting Hill with Love... Actually (Paperback)
My clever partner saw this book in the supermarket while we in the UK over Christmas and thought it would be an ideal stocking filler for me. As usual, he was right and "From Notting Hill with Love... Actually", Ali McNamara's first novel, has become a great new entry into my list of chick lit favourites.

As the title suggests, the author seamlessly incorporates many scenes from some of our favourite chick flick movies into the story. The main protagonist is Scarlett, a huge movie fan who is about to marry her terribly sensible fiancé, David.

Scarlett feels that marrying David is the right thing to do but before she walks down the aisle, she is given the opportunity to spend a month living in Notting Hill. As soon as she arrives, she starts to meet a variety of different characters in situations which, although plausible, could have jumped straight out of a romantic comedy. This makes Scarlett only more determined to demonstrate to her friends and family back home that it is possible to live your life like a movie.

Reading this book is like watching your favourite Richard Curtis film for the umpteenth time. There are no twists and nothing will take you massively by surprise, but you'll feel comfortable enjoying Ali McNamara's easy to read prose and endearing style.

There are a few bonuses at the end of the book with some lovely little extras added by the author which will appeal to all rom com junkies. Even the cover of the book (designed by Lucy Truman) will titillate chick lit aficionados with its sparkly snowflakes and cinema billboard text.

1.0 out of 5 stars painful, 5 April 2013
This review is from: From Notting Hill with Love... Actually (Paperback)
It's rare for me to give up on a book but this one is one of the few.
Drivel, cliched, predictable, uggh!
Don't bother

4.0 out of 5 stars A really fun book to lose yourself in!, 9 Feb 2011
Lauren Thomas - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Notting Hill with Love... Actually (Paperback)
First of all, if you're not a fan of full-on "chick lit" or "chick flicks" this book is not going to be for you. Thought it would be best to start off by pointing out the obvious.

The main character of this book, Scarlett, is an overly romantic, film-obsessed 23-year old who is uncertain about the path her life has taken. Deciding to prove to her father and fiance that life can be like the movies she adores, she takes up an offer of house-sitting in Notting Hill for a month, and tries to fill her days with movie-moments, finding friends, family, love and laughter along the way.

I have to say, my first impressions of Scarlett weren't great. I thought she was going to be irritating and vacuous, but I found myself warming to her really easily. She is meant to be only 23, and who isn't a bit dreamy, romantic and maybe a little self-involved at that age? The supporting cast of characters are also good and strong, and I think Ali McNamara handles the dialogue and scenes well. The storyline flows easily, and there weren't any moments in the story that I found plodding or dull.

The overall fact is, this novel is full-on, over-the-top, glamorous escapism and while it may not be everyone's cup of tea, and may not be the finest example of "chick-lit" out there, I think it is brilliant for a debut, and I look forward to reading more of Ali's work. Great fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant premise, nice light read, 4 Jan 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars "Life can be a movie", 20 Dec 2010
This review is from: From Notting Hill with Love... Actually (Paperback)
Take all your favourite rom-coms, the ones you've always wanted to live, add a few very welcome cameo-roles by Johnny Depp, kate Winslet, Hugh Grant and there you are in this amazing debut novel, which you won't be able to put down.
Beautiful story, which should become a film! Well, done Ali!

5.0 out of 5 stars great fun!, 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: From Notting Hill with Love... Actually (Paperback)
This was a pressie from a work colleague who frightening appears to know me so well.I loved this book! Great fun with very clever references to the films, which if you've seen as many times as me you will totally get. At times I was chuckling out loud, much to familys amusement! Brilliant. Can't wait for the next one Ali!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 16 Dec 2010
This review is from: From Notting Hill with Love... Actually (Paperback)
I loved this book from start to finish. I really enjoyed the film references mentioned throughout - some of which I knew and others I didn't, not that I let that bother me.

The story flowed really well and I loved all the characters that were introduced throughout the length of the book. The book tells the story of Scarlett - a woman who lives her life through the movies who moves to Nottinghill determined to prove to her family that life can be just as it is in the movies. During her journey Scarlett meets an array of new friends all of whom I liked reading about.

I found the book to be very reminiscent of a romantic movie - it doesn't take itself too seriously and while there were parts I found slightly unbelievable they slotted perfectly into the book and what it was about.

For a debut novel this is very much a strong read and I very much look forward to reading her next offering.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 1 Dec 2010
This review is from: From Notting Hill with Love... Actually (Paperback)
This book is absolutely brilliant. I laughed and cried all the way through it!!!
I read it in 2 days, whilst lying on the couch recovering from flu!!
After reading it I just had to watch Notting Hill and Love Actually.
If only life was really like the films!!!
Please hurry up and write some more.

From Notting Hill with Love... Actually
From Notting Hill with Love... Actually by Ali McNamara (Paperback - 25 Nov 2010)
3.86