5.0 out of 5 stars ONLY HALF WAY THROUGH....BUT!!
Published on 8 Oct 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Black Notice
Could it be with this, the tenth, book in the Dr Scarpetta series that Patricia Cornwell has just begun to scrape the bottom of the barrel with both plot ideas and character progression?
Published on 23 Jun 2005 by Rich Milligan

2.0 out of 5 stars Black Notice, 23 Jun 2005
Rich Milligan (Thatcham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
I'd given the previous offering, Point of Origin, a lukewarm reception and accused Cornwell of not being able to offer Scarpetta fans anything new. For the first half of this book I was pleasantly surprised as there seemed to be a lot more pace and punch to the opening chapters. There was some great Lucy and Marino interplay and some great dialog between all the main characters. There was also an insight into how the ultra-professional and seemingly mechanical Scarpetta was hurting from the death of Bentley in the previous book. What was also great was to see another appearance of Scarpetta's nasty sister Dorothy who at the very least is great entertainment value.
Alas it then went rapidly downhill extremely quickly. The main storyline of the book is a real half baked and half produced idea of yet another motiveless serial killer. He's just thrown into the plot with no reason other than to produce another book. There's no significance and no consequence. What is even worse though is the absolutely absurd affair that Scarpetta carries out whilst in Paris. Apart from the fact it is extremely unbelievable, it is so poorly presented I would expect this style of writing and dialog more of a soap opera or Mills and Boon romance.
Finally just went I thought with the amount of pages left in my right hand there was no way this book could be brought to conclusion but would be strung over to the next one, the whole story is wrapped up in one final crazy chapter. Scarpetta let's the killer into her house like a naïve pensioner, Lucy arrives in the nick of time, gun-toting and screaming and final Marino screeches around the corner just in time to slap on the handcuffs. What rubbish, we really deserve better.
One last point, please please please, can we stop all the pathetic relationship psycho-analysis between the characters. Unfortunately with the book ending with the return of Scarpetta's toy boy, Jay Talley, it looks like we're in for some more self pitying outpourings from this bunch of supposedly "talented" people.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear....what was the rush ?, 5 July 2000
By A Customer
I am an avid fan of Cornwells novels and have read them all...over and over ! I have introduced many friends and family to the intricate world of Kay Scarpetta and like most i rushed out to buy Black Notice. Oh dear..... i got the impression that Cornwell was in one big rush to finish this. There were several plot elements that could have been expanded in more detail, which would have improved the overall read. In my opinion, there is too much in too little detail.Which is a shame as the rest of the series are EXCELLENT ! But maybe this almost lack of enthusiasm from Cornwell reflects Scarpetta's lack of enthusiasm at everything that is so familiar but no longer holds the same intrigue or purpose (since Benton's death). But i live in hope that the next one will be better and that Scarpetta will cheer up ! I much prefer it when the atmosphere is a little more upbeat and not so dark and depressing ! Come Scarpetta...look on the bright side ! you still have Lucy and Marino ! (although i fear that Marino may not last much longer, especially as we are constantly reminded of all his bad habits ! ) So fingers crossed for the next installment and i promise you it'll all work out ok in the end !

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than the last but..., 23 Mar 2004
This gets three stars mainly because it was a better book than the previous one 'Point Of Origin'
This sees Scarpetta and the gang mainly dealing with the emotional fallout from that book.
as the book goes on the characters seem to lose all sense of themselves and do things which make no sense. e.g. Scarpetta's 'relationship' with the Interpol agent. This passage required utter suspension of disbelief
A big problem with this book and with the series as a whole is the character of Lucy.
The more angst and hangups the author saddles her with, the harder it becomes to like, or identify with her. She beats up her girlfriend, ignores Scarpetta for months at a time if she even looks at her wrong and treats everyone around her with nothing less than contempt, yet everyone throughout the book consistently make excuses for her and treat her as if she were a Goddess. This is one character who desperately needs a reality check. There is one passage where Scarpetta does finally let rip at her, yet this is undermined a couple of pages later by Scarpetta apologising as if 'poor' Lucy had done nothing wrong!
The story is not bad, however regular readers of Cornwell's novels won't find a lot that's new here -
Disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ho-hum, 4 Jan 2000
R. L. Newman (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I used to love the Scarpetta novels, especially the first few. Then Kay Scarpetta seemed to disappear up her own arse. Does this woman possess a sense of humour? My friends and family became used to hearing my screeches of anguish as I read yet another passage in which Kay makes fresh pasta or cooks some amazing stew from scratch. I thought she was supposed to be a busy woman! Now I find Cornwell's written a book called "Scarpetta's Winter Table", which appears to include a collection of recipes. Either Cornwell's got a better sense of humour than her protagonist, or she's totally gone insane. Anyway, as for Black Notice - I was relieved to find myself enjoying it, after the astonishingly anti-climatic ending of "Point of Origin", but once again, the ending left a lot to be desired. There's no interplay between heroine and villain like we used to get, just the obligatory break-in and the chase through the various rooms of the house. Ho-hum, seen it all before. Hey Patricia, how about a nice prolonged confrontation scene? Pretty please?

3.0 out of 5 stars Not again !, 24 Jan 2001
By A Customer
I really liked the Kay Scappetta character in the first few Cornwells but then I went off her because she never seemed to learn from her mistakes. I decided to read Black Notice as it was going cheap and I was bored over Xmas. I enjoyed the book as a whole and it was a good read but I said to my husband if shes really stupid again I'll scream - so did you hear me scream ????
How can a woman whose meant to have a law degree and is over the age of 21 be so stupid as to open the front door without checking who it is knowing full well theres a mad man out there after her ? Oh really !
Please Patricia Cornwell if you do every read this stop you very good character being so incredibly thick just so she can be put in a situation of mortal danger.
I liked the book and would recommend it as a standard Cornwell read but if you dont suffer fools gladly try not to scream too loudly !

2.0 out of 5 stars The worst of the Scarpetta books so far, 22 Jun 2009
Dr Evil (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
When reading other Amazon reviewers' comments about some of Patricia Cornwell's more recent Scarpetta novels, I couldn't see how they could be right when they gave them below average or negative reviews. This book however showed me that they unfortunately were correct.

The story begins when Scarpetta is called to a crime scene where a body that has been transported from another country has been found in a storage unit. This isn't any ordinary case though as there are strange wolf-like hairs found on the body and some writing is on the wall of the unit. Just as Kay begins to think this is an isolated incident, another body turns up with the same hairs found on it. Also her pal Marino has been demoted by a new chief detective on the squad which leaves him feeling bitter and more rebellious than ever. Kay's nice Lucy is on an undercover and very dangerous assignment in Miami too, which in effect causes problems in their relationship.

Phew - this was a hard book to finish! I've always found the Scarpetta books to be fast-paced and exciting from the opening chapter, this however was incredibly slow and un-eventful. The case she was working on was very uninteresting, the characters all seemed to have been exaggerated on their most annoying flaws, which made this very difficult to enjoy. Kay in particular has became one of the most unlikeable, arrogant and petty characters I have ever came across in this one.

I just hope this was a one-off bad novel as there are a fair few more for me to get through and I have loved all of the previous books in the series so far. Overall, I would perhaps avoid this one, especially if you've not read the rest of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONLY HALF WAY THROUGH....BUT!!, 8 Oct 1999
By A Customer
Having re-read all of the previous nine SCARPETTA thrillers, I eagerly awaited the release of BLACK NOTICE, even though it was only released on hardback at a cost of £16.99, but I had to have it, and so I paid, and although I am only just starting chapter 18, after only buying the book two days ago, I get excited sat here in my office awaiting the train journey home so I can read another 3-4 chapters. My review so far is that KAY is at her very best and I know that when her back is up against the wall, with tragedy all around and her family and loved ones in danger she will COME BACK TO LIFE. On opening the book and reading the forward from BW, it seriously made weep, (on the train too on my way home) but, after waiting what seems an eternity for this novel, i'm sure I was not the only one. If and when any of these books become films, I already have the actors to play all of the roles, from Mark, BW, Kay, Marino, Rose, Lucy and even Wingo, Patricia Cornwell, knows how to describe detail down the the very last whisker, hair cut, stain on shirt, etc. Here is in my opinion the only man on this planet who could play Marino: ANDY SYPOWITZ (I know this is probably spelt wrong) but you know him, the guy from NYPD Blue. He is MARINO. On my next review upon finishing the book, I will list the others: WATCH THIS SPACE.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Kay Scarpetta slightly off form in formula thriller, 5 Nov 1999
By A Customer
As an avid Patricia Cornwell fan, I rushed to read 'Black Notice' asap. To be honest, paperpack would have sufficed.
Poor old Kay. Here she is moping around Richmond (with a bit of moping in far from gay Paree to break it up) for several hundred pages. On go the all-too familiar log fires. Out come the Scapretta-In-A-Funk recipes. Niece Lucy is even more of a depressive than ever. There is a distict sense of 'deja vu' that runs throughout the narrative. Thank goodness for Pete Marino who shines like a beacon of humour in this dark, dark tale.
Most reviews call this a 'psychological thriller' which too often translates as 'all pyscho and few thrills'. 'Black Notice' retraces some pretty familiar Scarpetta ground here - the malcontent among the morgue staff, the police hierachy on Kay and Marino's case, Lucy sulking as per usual, Kay's house being broken into and, of course, the must-have nutter on the loose.
But unlike the previous brilliant books, Ms Cornwell gives us little in the way of tension. And the end when it comes feels rushed and somehow unsatisfying.
But one thing's for sure, the world's a more interesting place thanks to Patricia Cornwell's masterful creation.

2.0 out of 5 stars Exciting start, disappointing ending., 17 May 2000
By A Customer
I have read all the previous KS novels and have enjoyed most of them. Black Notice started promising but detriorated to a rather disappointing and predictable ending. I must admit I have become increasingly irriated with the focus on her dysfunctional family and her own emotional life, and KS has become to much of a superheroine for me. While she seems to be vulnerable and full of flaws, she is still a genius, incredibly hard working and focused (never wrong) and is some sort of femme fatale that could turn at her age (at least mid-late 40ies?) the head of a much younger, beautiful, rich and mysterious man....etc..(I am not sure what the value of adding this new involvment is, obligatory love interest?)..it is getting a bit too much.
I agree that P. Cornwell seems to have lost interest towards the end of her book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book, Patrica Cornwell at her best, 2 Oct 2000
By A Customer
Scary, clever and awe-inspiring. In all the scarpetta series Patrica Cornwell reveals more and more about her characters. They are the only series of books where the books can stand on there own as brillant pieces of writing. The author manages to take you into this dark and dangerous world with brillant descriptions. Any Cornwell reader will tell you that they are addictive. one of the most outstanding things in the book is the pizza in Black Notice! You will watch Kay Scarpetta recive a letter from her dead partner, deal with 'toxic Waste In Tight clothes'- Deputy Cheif Bray with the Trusty Marino by her side. It is a brilliant book everyone should read.

Black Notice (Scarpetta Novels)
Black Notice (Scarpetta Novels) by Patricia Cornwell (Paperback - 2 Sep 2010)