Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 January 2000
I've read and loved all of Cornwell's Scarpetta novels - but I've finally had enough. Her total lack of genuine grief over Benton's death was the final straw. Yes so she shed a few tears, but within seconds resumed her usual dour demenour. I am utterly sick of this character's wooden emotions and chronic lack of humour. It would be such a huge relief if just once, just once Kay made a complete bodge of her hand-made frittata with pesto, or confessed to eating herself sick on Haagen Daas while wearing stale pyjamas. Constant contemplations about her expensive house and car are highly irritating - although admittedly not as irritating as the obnoxious Lucy. Lucy is the literary equivalent of watching a party political broadcast on a rainy Wednesday afternoon, you feel that the room would always be a little emptier for her having entered it. As a world-class computer boffin, superlative FBI agent, expert pilot, fire-investigator supremo etc, etc you would think she could manage to rustle up a hint of humour or a spark of personality. Everyone raves on endlessly about her utter, mind-blowing brilliance but has no-one noticed that she has zero social skills and possess all the animation of a dead duck? Personally I think Cornwell could have killed Lucy off way back in book three and replaced her character with a lap-top instead - I would defy anyway to notice any difference in their personalities!
on 15 February 1999
You need to be a very ardent fan to enjoy this one.
There is no originality in this book. No new characters to grab your attention. The usual supply of cutting/chopping/boiling bodies and finding new and grotesque ways to kill people does not hold ones attention when there is no substance in the plot.
This is my 4th Patrica Cornwell book and my last. Both Gaunt and Carrie outstayed their welcome.
Quarter way through you knew what was happening but it took the good doctor over half the book.
What happened to the phonecalls the junior coroner was getting in the mornings? How did the FBI agent walk into such an obvious trap? Why all the pizza deliveries etc? All these little trails never materialised into anything why were they mentioned?
If you had missed any of the earlier books you would have no background on the characters the main player Dr Scarpatta, a coroner - her FBI boyfriend; - the perfect niece - the police detective who is overweight and has a bad life style; Gaunt (dead at the begining of this book), Carrie (in prison at the begining of the book).
I loved Patrica Cornwell's first and second book but I think she has now overplayed these characters - the baddies are all dead now (we hope!), so maybe we can have ALL new character...
on 15 January 1999
As an avid fan of Patricia Cornwell, I bought this book as soon as it was released. I was therefore disappointed that it was not up to the author's usual high standards. I found myself bored by the technical stuff (which I usually find fascinating); Lucy's love-life grated on me; and how could Cornwell come up with such an unsatisfyingly corny end for her supreme villainess, Carrie Grethen? Has Kay Scarpetta had her day?
on 13 July 1999
I read the 'puff' on the back cover of the book and was very much looking forward to the read. However, I should have followed my instincts and been, quite naturally, turned off by the dedication to Barbara Bush (why has she made a difference?).
Firstly, the character of Lucy, Scarpetta's lesbian niece, has become stretched to the limit, she becomes more irritating with every novel. I think that she should be done in quickly. Possibly as the opening to the next in the series.
Secondly, if you had not already read the Scarpetta series I think that the reader would be at a complete loss regarding the Temple Gault theme. The book does not stand up as a novel in its own right, rather only as part of a series.
Finally, the denouement is ridiculous...Please, Ms Cornwell - I am sure that you do not need to write a novel a year any more.
on 16 August 1999
I think that if my life was as bleak and unsatisfying as Scarpettas I would look for another line of work. She seems to spend all her time miserable and although her line of work isn't a barrel of laughs, there should be some humour there to leaven things. Also the Lucy business is starting to become tiresome. Every case seems to involve them all together, and she has 'mastered' a new skill which will be vital later on. As if! The ending was trite and a bit of an insult to the reader, as if she had reached her 10,000 words or whatever and finished it any old how. If Carrie was such a schemer why come up with such a lame plan as chasing them from a helicopter? All in all a bit of a formula pot-boiler and a poor effort.
on 2 July 1999
Each Cornwell novel seems to surpass its predecessor as she grows more confident, and Point of Origin is no exception. The forensic detail has always been gruesomely accurate, but what makes this book work so well is that forensic gore is allied to a real 'voice' for her heroine - world-weary, angry, determined - that conveys her character development more effectively than mere action. Her plots seem to get more complex and satisfying too, with plenty of twists in the tale. Kathy Reichs (see the brilliant Death du Jour) may be the pretender to the throne, but Cornwell is still the Queen. Forensic fans should also check out The Death Pit, by a male writer, Tony Strong, a page-turner mystery about a forensic archeologist. There's clearly still plenty of mileage in the forensic genre - keep the cadavers coming!
on 5 September 2000
I have read most of the KS books, and I am now beginning to find KS rather irritating. She is so perfect, in her impeccable behaviour, in the way she dresses, how/what she eats, the manner in which she conducts business, she never seems to make a real mistake. Come on Patricia Cornwell, make KS more human, after all, it is human nature to make mistakes isn't it! It would certainly make KS' character more believable.
on 30 November 1999
At least this time, Scarpetta didn't end up in a nuclear power station with a bunch of terrorists. However, overall this continued the trend of disappointment in the most recent offerings. If you've read her first three books, then you've read the best she has to offer so far.
on 1 July 1999
Patricia Cornwall was highly recommended to me so it was with eager anticipation that I turned the first page. Initially the book held my interest well but as I progressed I found a plot by the numbers and a climax taken from an average American TV movie! Disapointing
on 31 August 1999
I did not enjoy this book at all.. and could not wait to get to the end of it. Too much detail that seemed pointless.. and of course we have no proof that Carrie is dead, so I'm sure we'll see her popping up somewhere else again.