5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful novel from Gabrielle Kimm
'The Courtesan's Lover' is another wonderful novel from Gabrielle Kimm. I read, and loved her debut novel; 'His Last Duchess' and had been eagerly awaiting her next book. The wait has been well worthwhile and I have not been disappointed.
'The Courtesan's Lover' takes the reader back into the rich world of 16thc Italy.

The book is beautifully and...
Published on 26 Nov 2011 by Anne-MariaB

3.0 out of 5 stars a time passer
good story happy ending not earth moving but worth the time to read the wife loved it so maybe a womans book
Published 14 months ago by rocky

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful novel from Gabrielle Kimm, 26 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Courtesan's Lover (Paperback)

The book is beautifully and descriptively written. As in her debut novel, Ms Kimm brings the characters in this book vividly and sensitively to life, and I found myself instantly engaged by them.

Enchanting, sumptous, touching, tragic, and uplifting. - I loved this novel and found myself completely caught up in Francesca's turbulent life. I shared her joy and her pain. A fabulous read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully evocative picture of 16th century Italy, 1 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Courtesan's Lover (Paperback)
The Courtesan's Lover is Gabrielle Kimm's second novel, whose heroine, Francesca, first appeared in Kimm's debut novel, "His Last Duchess". She has now moved to Naples, where she has become a courtesan. Through an encounter with a young man (given a tryst with her as a birthday present) she finds herself questioning her way of life. I shan't give away any more of the plot - suffice it to say that this novel is rich with twists and unexpected directions. What makes Kimm's novel special is her unfailing eye for detail. She writes about 16th Century Naples with an almost cinematic view, so that you not only see the pictures, but are aware of the sights and sounds and smells of the city. She evokes the strange life of a high class whore vividly, and though there is a certain amount of graphic sex, it is never prurient, and is an important tool in the telling of Francesca's story. Added to the sumptuous descriptions of place are more fascinating characters, whose histories one really cares about. My favourite is Modesto, Francesca's servant and protector, a castrato who can no longer perform, but each of these people come alive, and their stories evolve through the pages of this book, so that one really cares what happens to them. There are plot developments which carry this tale way above the normal romantic fiction, and some moments (deep under the streets of Naples) which are truly disturbing. I loved this novel, and thoroughly recommend it to anybody looking for an exciting, touching, beautiful and memorable book. A GREAT Christmas read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Want a quality read?, 13 April 2014
P. NEWTON-PALMER "PnP" (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Courtesan's Lover (Paperback)
Look no further than Gabrielle Kimm... wow. You'll be on under a duvet, the edge of your sofa, drinking coffee so you can turn the pages all night long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 22 Dec 2013
Very believable with strong characters that keep you on your toes. Loved it, great story line and very satisfying conclusion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next one, 4 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Courtesan's Lover (Paperback)
Well done Gabby. I enjoyed this follow up every bit as much as the first one. Another one of those 'can't put it down' type novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 18 Jun 2013
Very well written and kept me interested until the end. The descriptions of Italy were very atmospheric and I could almost imagine I was there.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, very gripping at times, 23 Mar 2014
Very much enjoyed this book. Has twists and turns some of which you can see coming, some you can't and others where it twists back on itself again with a page-turning heart-in-mouth bit about 3/4 of way through. Characters have been woven well into and through one another. Ending realistically unlikely but hey this is fiction so why not!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 14 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Courtesan's Lover (Paperback)
I really enjoyed 'His Last Duchess' and was wondering how this would compare, so it was great that, once I started it I could barely put it down and read it in just two days. I felt it brought the whole era to life and I was transported back to a very different kind of existence.

Francesca's character was beautifully developed as her old life was suddenly thrown up into the air in a few short days. The twists and turns of the plot kept me willing her on and I was simply captivated throughout. It stayed in my head, which is always the sign of a great read and I am very much looking forward to the next novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dazzling - even better than her debut!, 3 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Courtesan's Lover (Paperback)
I loved Gabrielle Kimm's debut, His Last Duchess. But if anything, The Courtesan's Lover was an even more enjoyable read for me, due to its riveting storyline and its wonderfully complex characters. Kimm's protagonist, Francesca is an unexpected delight - beautiful, intelligent and ambitious, but at the same time warm and devoted to her two young girls.

The storytelling is magnificent! This is a page-turner in the true sense of the word - I looked forward to bedtime every night, just so I could find out what happened next. In fact, I was very sad when the book came to an end. Alongside Francesca, other compelling characters fill the pages; in particular, Modesto was someone I wanted to know more about, as we grasped snatches of the strange and tragic past that led him to become such an important player in the courtesan's life. Perhaps, Mrs Kimm, you might give us a sequel ... ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Stunning Read.., 11 Jan 2012
S. C. Uden "Sue Uden" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Courtesan's Lover (Paperback)
After Francesca's tribulations in His Last Duchess, and in the knowledge that she was off to Naples to a life of high class prostitution, I was fairly certain that The Courtesan's Lover would be, at the very least, as exciting as its predecessor. And I was, of course, not wrong. However admirably Francesca strives to keep her dangerous working life separate from her domestic one, and to protect her beautiful twin girls from harm, clearly she is taking some devastating risks. Tension levels were high and woe betide anyone who spoke to me while I was reading this book. I became very fond of Francesca. I respected that she stoically and cheerfully accepted the personal sacrifices of her chosen career for the sake of her daughters. And then, when the time comes, has the courage to alter course, change all her values and face up to the consequences. There were some beautifully drawn relationships - two in particular strike me now. The one between Francesca and her manservant, Modesto, whose character, incidentally, was one of my favourites. And the one between Maria and Filippo, whose stale marriage was repaired by Francesca's skills. I loved that little sub-plot. Once again this book gave a stunningly detailed picture of life in Renaissance Italy in general, and of The Courtesans and Society in particular. As well as being another wonderful read, I learned so many interesting new facts - including the fascinating use of limes - that The Courtesan's Lover has to be a 5 star read and I only hope we are going to see another Gabrielle Kimm novel very soon.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Courtesan's Lover
The Courtesan's Lover by Gabrielle Kimm (Paperback - 24 Nov 2011)
5.31