Format: PaperbackChange

on 28 August 2012
Having read "Postmortem" as and not been completely won over by the talents of Ms Cornwell, I was unsure as to whether "Body of Evidence" would thrill me in the same way that it has for her devoted readers.

However, I was pleasantly surprised and, admittedly, gripped to the search for the murderer of a reclusive author, penning her scandalous biography. It doesn't take long for the motives (and the bodies) to start piling up and Dr Scarpetta has conspiracies, deception and swathes of psychopathy to wade through before she uncovers the real reason why the victim comes to a grisly end.

The plot moves deftly, with the twists and turns keeping you on your toes. Scarpetta is crafted as a realistic and, at times, flawed heroine and this certainly is more effective in "Body of Evidence" than "Postmortem". I warmed to Kay far more and felt more involved and invested in her as a character. Marino, her policeman colleague, is a brilliant creation, managing to fill the role of the "sarcastic, cynical co-worker" but also "the grumpy detective with a heart". It shows the breadth of Cornwell's skills that she can create two vastly different characters and not only make them realistic but also have their interactions serve as poignant and believable.

The eventual reveal of the perpetrator was somewhat of a let down for me- it didn't evoke the same kind of tension or realism that Cornwell achieves in the rest of the novel which is disappointing.

However, the rest of the book is entirely enjoyable and a great must-read from one of the big female talents of the crime writing world.
on 17 September 2011
I read this book immediately after reading Postmortem and felt this was a step up in the way it held my attention and I really enjoyed it. The storyline was very strong and the main plot and little sub plots kept me wanting to read on. The interaction between Scarpetta and the other main characters - Marino, Mark and Benton was enjoyable and occasionally funny. The story builds very nicely and the ending whilst slightly predictable, was still very tense. Excellent stuff. Can't wait to get onto the next one.
on 21 July 2003
Having purchased all of the Scarpetta books written to date, Body of Evidence has got to be my favourite for several reasons. As usual, Patricia Cornwell skilfully confronts the reader with a horrific murder and leaves no forensic stone unturned as one by one the tiny pieces of evidence and inspired detective work by Scarpetta and Marino reveal clues to the identity of the perpertrator. There is passion and romance for Kay and as an extra bonus a vivid although realistic description of the Florida Keys that made me want to go and see the sunsets and the clear blue water for myself. The characters are interesting and the plot just bowls along so you just want to keep on reading. Best of all Lucy does not feature in this novel. Highly Recommended to new Scarpetta readers.
11 comment36 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Quite a good story about an author who is murdered in her own home after having been pestered by a phone stalker and it falls to Dr Kay Scarpetta to solve the mystery. There are plenty of red herrings thrown in to confuse but the final miscreant is somehow a disappointment as you couldn't have deduced who it was from the early clues however it's worth reading as the eventual outcome makes sense. It's not one to read if you enjoy being clever and trying to solve the mystery from the start as the eureka moment happens in the latter stages of the book.
on 10 July 2014
So I'm an avid reader but generally go for the light hearted, gripping plot but totally unrealistic kind of books but....Meh!!! I don't understand, I thought postmortem was great, was looking forward to getting into an old but 'new to me' author, and a series, but I just didn't get excited by this. I didn't feel like I engaged with any of the characters, I found Marino to be really annoying, Kay to be rather insignificant and hopeless, especially in relation to her about face regarding Mark. It had little forensic pathology stuff in it and Kay could have been easily mistaken as the lead investigator. Very mixed feelings about this one and I am going to have to fight the urge to go back to Tess Gerittsen so soon. I hate it when a book doesn't get you going.. have already begun a lesley pearse which looks promising so far. Please anyone, do they get better than this????
on 26 August 2011
I have read several of the later Scarpetta books (Point of Origin-Blow Fly) and picked this up after several years away from the author.

I have to say I was absolutely gribbed by this book from start to finish. It's a classic crime thriller and showcases Cornwell at her best. It has enough twists and turns to keep you guessing but subtly works up to a big reveal to keep you hooked. I finished it in a couple of days as I couldn't put it down! This book has prompted me to go back and continue reading the earlier books as I've realised what I've been missing! If crime thrillers are your cup of tea, I would definitely suggest going back to the original books that built up Cornwell's reputation.
on 19 April 2013
Having loved Post Mortem and Cruel and Unusual I though I'd have a stab a plodding through the PC Scarpetta books in order. Oh dear, No 2 is really a bit of a mess. The plot is not that riveting and by 2/3 of the way through I really had no idea what or why Scarpetta was doing what she was. The ending and the revelation of whodunnit is not a revelation - one of the problems is whilst the first victim was terrorised, you feel no empathy for her, or the subsequent victims. Hopefully the third will hit better form, but if it's more of the same, it will be thanks and goodbye Kay Scarpetta. A shame after such a fantastic debut.
VINE VOICEon 14 June 2008
this year I decided to start Cornwell's Dr. Kay Scarpetta series. I had high hopes for her first 'postmortem' and was frankly, a bit let down. I think this second attempt is much better than post mortem but is a tad slow to get goin and I also thought it was all a bit confusing at times. That said there are some moments of really high tension and suspense and an introduces some interesting new characters that really make me want to go out and get the 3rd in the series.
on 27 September 2011
Excellent read, excellent read, fantastic read, really enjoyed it. The Kindle version is fantastic. I love my Kindle. Would certainly tell friends.
on 29 January 2014
Great storyline & kept me guessing. A woman turns up murdered & then others follow, leaving a trail of love, hatred & jealousy. Kay's not allowed to work as she's at risk for her life again & a man from her past turns up out of the blue.
I'd recommend this to anyone who likes crime thrillers.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse