Format: PaperbackChange

on 12 August 2010
This is a great read. A full-on, fast paced thriller with lots of detail and intrigue, and a wonderful, implausibly good, protagonist. I downloaded this when it was a free download from the author's website, just on the off-chance that it might be worth reading, and was hooked right from the start. I've since read all of the author's other available work, and loved it all. Can't wait for the next one!
0Comment23 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2011
OK so yes, this has been done before - many people are pointing to Da Vinci code, but I'm in agreement with those saying Cussler - although to me it puts me more in mind of Atlantis Found than Plague Ship.

Lots of similarities to be drawn here: the "compellingly attractive" Tyler not only has the same qualities manifested by Dirk Pitt, but even has the tragedy in a previous relationship.... Tyler is also accompanied by a trusty sidekick, often referred to as "burly" or "stocky" - in fact on some occasions I found that my brain had automatically added "Italian" to those references to Grant. The general theme was the same - Respected yet feared businessman with unlimited resources meticulously plans to take over the world, everything runs smoothly until a couple of pieces of grit serendipitously get caught in the wheels, leading inexorably to his downfall. Tyler and Grant working for highly respected agency, placing them with good connections which are enhanced from previous distinguished military careers allowing Special Forces assistance... the list goes on and on... BUT...

For anyone who is a fan of this genre it is well worth reading. The themes and characters may be identical in all but name, but Morrison's keeps the story moving, ignoring Cussler's penchant for taking interludes using sub-plots or the inevitable NUMA briefing sessions. It makes for easy, enjoyable reading and has a kind of irresistable quality that makes it hard to put down.

Certainly a very worthy debut novel, and while some will find it sameish, if Cussler is your genre, Morrison should prove to be a worthy successor.
I am new to the writings of Boyd Morrison, having only read "Tsunami Countdown", which was itself recommended to me by a friend.
Now I liked "T.C." with it's simple storyline and simple characters, but "Noah's Ark Quest" is an altogether different kettle of fish - yes, the storyline is still simple without flitting too much to subplots and while the characters are relatively simple, the preposterous idea of an individual of the type that the baddie (Sebastian Ulric) is, does take some swallowing! Ultra rich man takes over an island off the coast of Seattle and builds an underground "Ark" with which to survive for a New World without let or hinderance? Come On! But, that said, this is but a minor complaint because the storyline is so fast paced that, even more so than with "T.C.", I kept turning pages and effectively read the whole story in a matter of a few hours over a week-end, which for me, is quite a rare thing to do.
The whole idea of a flood, in the biblical sense, is called into question, but the idea with which it is replaced is an altogether more sinister concept, particularly as we hear about another bird-flu contagion developing in the Far East again..!
Seriously though, if you are looking for a fast paced read that doesn't demand too much of your undivided attention, then I really can recommend that you give this novel a whirl - you will not be disappointed.
Me, I'm off to read "Midas Code" and "Roswell Conspiracy"!
on 10 September 2010
This is a far better book than many of it's ilk. The action scenes are well choereographed and although the author does often resort to well worn plot cliches it is done with a certain panache. The characters are engaging if rather predictable. (A typical feisty, but beautiful heroine, the rugged action man who doubles as an academic, the brilliant but pyschotic villian and the good and bad sidekicks with history between them) The theory of what Noah's ark actually was is entertaining, if rather unconvincing but unlike so many books of this type it does feel satisfying. Everything is wrapped up neatly - all villians killed by the correct "good guy", and there is the continuing sense that the whole book isn't taking itself too seriously. Not a book that will dwell long in the memory, but entertaining enough while it lasted.
on 15 January 2013
I bought this book for my husband as a stocking filler for Christmas. He had already read a Boyd Morrison book on holiday, which he also rated very good. He says that The Noah's Ark Quest keeps you gripped and unable at times to put the book down. Highly recommend this book.
on 11 October 2010
I loved this book, it had action, it had style, it was sheer escapism, but also made you think. The main characters were likeable and there was never a boring moment. It was a book you could read with ease and still sleep at night (unlike the gruesome novels by Tom Knox.)

The start was a bit awkward, I'll admit, and bits of the introductions reminded me of Chris Kuzneski's characters, but very soon the action kicked in, the pace picked up, and I found myself caught up in an amazing adventure.

A female archaeologist whose father has been missing for 3 years is called to a meeting with one of her father's friends. He only has enough time to give her some clues, some seemingly disjointed words that make no sense, but set the clock ticking against her as the baddies go after her. The first person she visits trying to decipher the clues does not take her seriously till his life becomes endangered. They join forces to find out what is happening. Clue by clue, the mystery unfolds and it is now up to them to save the world - literally! Will they be able to foil the plans of the sinister cult leader or will he live to wreck havoc another day? And what has Noah's Ark got to do with it all - did it ever exist, and what was it exactly? To find out the answers... read the book!
on 4 October 2010
First of all, and most importantly, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It races along at a great pace and is extremely entertaining.

However, I was astonished at the similarity to Clive Cussler's "Plague Ship". I won't go into details that would spoil both books but not only is the basic premise the same, many of the lesser points in the plot are the same. The only significant difference is the actual nature of the Ark itself. I'm surprised that Boyd Morrison hasn't been sued for this.

Still great fun though!
on 6 January 2014
I picked this book up thinking it would be so naff... how good could a book about Noah`s ark... but please don't be put of BY the name... it completely makes u think about the whole story of Noah differently. If u are looking for a good book please read this and don't let the name put you off. Cannot be more impressed by this author... I am going to buy all his other books as soon as I'm finished this review.
on 17 August 2013
First of all the story is fantastic, always keeps to guessing and in every chapter there is an attack or an exciting discovery! He is my favorite author as i have almost read all of the Tyler Locke books but this is by far my favorite as the love story too is capturing! Phenomenal and really is a classic in my eyes, i really recommend this if you are into action and thriller.
on 3 September 2010
This book is an excellent read. I bought it for my honeymoon and read it in 2 days! It is very fast paced and the action just doesn't stop. Would highly recommend it.
11 comment6 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse