4.0 out of 5 stars Corwell, better or worse
I have only recently started reading the Kay Scarpetta series but I quickly became hooked and had to read one after the other, however with her last couple of books, particularly since she has started writing in the third person instead of the first, her books have gone downhill. I did, however, think that she redemmed herself a bit with this story being a lot better then...
Published on 28 Oct. 2007 by Samantha Stevens

1.0 out of 5 stars Serves me right!
Published on 3 Feb. 2007 by Anck Su Namin

1.0 out of 5 stars Serves me right!, 3 Feb. 2007
Anck Su Namin (The Seething Metropolis , UK) - See all my reviews
I keep buying these books in the hope that there will be a return to form but I am always disappointed. This one is the worst by far. We are now asked to stretch out imaginations to the point that Lucy is richer than Bill Gates and has a highly sophisticated computer network that the US Government, never mind the myriad super-hackers out there, have no idea exists. She then leaves the whole thing wide open without anyone noticing the breach for months. In reality the Marino phone tapping would have been noticed by any cheap call logging system, let alone Demi-God Lucy. Do some research Patricia!

Secondly, I found the resurrection of Benton Wesley tiresome when it happened, as it was so clearly a case of major backtracking once Cornwell realised that she actually needed him to pad out the stories quite a bit. Now we are supposed to believe that she and the so-called love of her life live mostly apart, communicate by email and nearly seperate when the child-from-hell Lucy comes between them, despite her 'burying' him once.

Thirdly, I just don't buy into the Marino falling-out. They have been close for years, with some unrequited feelings on Marino's side, and yet we are asked to believe that they fall out over a simple mistake on Marino's part. His transformation to pretendy hells angel doesn't work either.

The last few pages are rushed and laughable, and leave the reader feeling cheated out of a fiver. Avoid!

2.0 out of 5 stars not the best ....but not the worst, 4 April 2006
Hugh Sutherland "hughs1206" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Thankfully better than her last two offerings but still no hint of returning to her former glory. As always the forensic and scientific detail are finely tuned and informative and there is a steady, if not slightly boring at times, pace
My biggest problems with Predator, and indeed Trace and Blowfly, were that i was completely indifferent as to what was happening, I just didn't care. The second is that, it's not the fact that Cornwell has switched from writing in the first to third person, but that we are now forced to spend time with charcters that are truly insufferable and who, as characters, haven't developed in any way, shape or form since the beginning, inparticular Lucy and Marino.
I'm a huge Cornwell fan and can only hope that things will get better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappionting, 29 Nov. 2006
Just like the past few books in the series, this was such alet down. I used to eagerly wait for the next book, but now I don't think I'll bother. Firstly, Patricia go back to the old style of writing, first person, past tense made the stories so much more gripping, the new format just creates a disjointed and confusing read. Secondly, what the hell happened at the end? I was left feeling cheated out of a decent ending, although by that point I didn't really care.

Also, how old is Scarpetta supposed to be? She was 40ish in Postmortem when Lucy was about 10, so now Lucy is 30ish I guess that makes Scarpetta 60 and Marino approaching his seventies. I think its time they retired.

This book is totally fogettable and nothing like the fantastic crime novels Cornwell deservedly earned acclaim for. My advice would be, don't bother reading it, try someone like Kathy Reiches instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars Going through the motions, 27 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Predator (Hardcover)
I wish Cornwell had stopped writing Scarpetta back when we would have been left desperate for more. Now she's obviously going through the motions. This one was particularly disappointing - without wanting to give anything away, the 'twist' at the end is laughable, a cliché of the genre that I would have hoped Cornwell was above using. And I can't take Benton and Kay's relationship seriously any more. In this book, she's angry with him for keeping something from her that she considers a huge breach of trust, which had me shouting at the book: 'What about when he pretended to be dead for two years??' It's infuriating, and I only read them now when I'm given them (but I'm always given them). I certainly won't be spending any more money on these books, which is a shame as I used to adore Scarpetta.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire, 23 May 2006
As a long-time Cornwell fan I was totally disappointed with this novel. The last couple have of releases have not been quite up to her earlier standard- but by comparison to this they were

classics.

This is lazily written with a limited plot.

The novel is all over the place making it hard to follow at times and seems to be padded out with huge amounts of irrelevant

text, so obviously Patricia was struggling on the word-count front.

Either she has run out of ideas or is taking her readers for granted...

1.0 out of 5 stars Depressing and disappointing, 14 Dec. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Predator (Hardcover)
Having read all the Scarpetta books I am very disappointed with this. I speak in the present tense as I am still struggling my way through it.
It reminds me of the increasing darkness of the series up to and including Black Notice, during which time I know a lot of die hard fans who lost interest.
However, after a break, Cornwell gave us The Last Precinct, Trace and Blow Fly all of which were a lot brighter and captivating. Therefore, I was looking forward to this book.
Unfortunately, I am struggling to get through it as I don't recognise familiar characters, everyone is unhappy, unlikable and depressed and I am finding it difficult to care about them, let alone attempting to make sense of the plot as it flits from character/plotline to character/plotline each chapter. (This works really well in some books, making you race through the books to find out what's happening with each plotline and/or character but here it is simply tedious and tiresome.)

Although I haven't yet dragged myself through to the end, it feels completely predictable and the other reviews don't really give me an incentive to get to the end.
Please, if you are new to Scarpetta, go for the earlier books and if you are a long term fan, don't waste your time and money.
If I do get to the end and have to eat my words I promise I will write another review!

1.0 out of 5 stars Reputation, Reputation,Reputation., 14 Jan. 2007
Leslie J. Banks (UK) - See all my reviews
Sadly this is a once good author trading on past reputation. Predator is nothing short of awful. The reader is confused by the constant moving from one scene to another. The time scale from novel to novel does not compute. Scarpetta and Murino must both be drawing pensions by now. This novel seems to be scraps of writing all slung together and the ending is so poor that the only positive is that it's all over. Many readers will not get as far as the end and those that do will probably not care by then.

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusing to say the least..., 22 July 2006
I have to agree with most of the other reviews on this and that is that Cornwell has really lost her grip on what was once a fantastic series. In honesty, the last three books (Predator, Trace and Blowfly) seem to be one massive blur as they are all quite similar and there seems to be little to differentiate between them. Is she just using the same story line over and over again and we are still buying the books? If so she is doing well, but as far as this goes for enjoyment and suspense it is lacking.

It's convuluted, confusing and more often than not, tedious. It seems a real shame because Cornwell at one time used to combine a sense of cosiness (think Scarpetta making pasta sauce) with the grotesque and frightening, to create a great balance of warmth and suspense.

And I am confused as to what has happened to the characters, Marino, once a couch potato slob is now a Harley driving, martial arts expert? And as for Lucy who seems super-human at times...perhaps it is really time for her to disappear into a world of underground crime or something. And Scarpetta, the more I read descriptions of her the more she seems like the photo of Cornwell on the back of the book!

Not worth the time and effort, which is a shame because once upon a time I loved the Scarpetta novels...

1.0 out of 5 stars Writing to contract, 14 Sept. 2006
DHL (Newcastle Staffs UK) - See all my reviews
Patricia Cornwell and in a similar way writers such as John Grisham all suffer from the same problem. The demands of publishers to come up with a new novel every 12 months. The result is standardised plots with little interest any more. Contrast these with an author such as Scott Thurow who produces about every 3 or 4 years and remains distinctive and complex. This latest from Patricia Cornwell is the same as Trace - confused and overly preoccupied with trying to maintain interest in the continuing relationships of her main characters. These are now tired and the result is that the crime/thriller elements become lost in the process. Take a rest Patricia and recharge your batteries!

1.0 out of 5 stars what a disappointment!, 13 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Predator (Hardcover)
i've read all the scarpetta mysteries in hardback as they've been published. but no more!
this is truly a most disappointing affair. in the earlier novels there was a smooth narrative line and one used to care about all the characters. this is written from multiple viewpoints including yet another boring psychopath. i read it to the end but i just didn't care. the whole story is just so preposterous i think cornwell is just writing on autopilot. she obviously doesn't care anymore.

Predator (Scarpetta Novels)
Predator (Scarpetta Novels) by Patricia Cornwell (Paperback - 2 Sept. 2010)