Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 June 2000
this book is a real tear jerking, I hope we can all get to help bring Nadia home, even if all we can do to help is to buy the book and give her family the much needed funds to carry on the struggle. Also read: "A PROMISE TO NADIA" The year 2000 update on the families struggle to bring Nadia home and "WITHOUT MERCY" Miriam Ali's story (the girls mother)
on 13 May 2009
This book left it's mark on me YEARS after I had read it and it started to gather dust on the bookshelf. What broke my heart is the comments I got from Islamic women in England when I tried discussing it. Whilst they all agreed that it was a heartbreaking story at the end of the day they either shrugged their shoulders and thanked their lucky stars that it didn't happen to them or they berated me for not understanding what a woman's honour means in their culture. A few were embarassed that she dared to speak out against ISLAM !!!! This is a shocking story but I would guess that there are many more similar stories, the only difference being that the future author refuses to speak out.

Islamic women may have more rights in the West but all over the world their Islamic sisters are suffering greatly under the guise of religion. If the rest of the world is to understand this religion and give it the respect it probably deserves then women who have a voice must speak up.

For the reviewer that said the veil is what God wants Islamic women to do, I wholeheartedly disagree. That message came from the prophet ( a human being born of a woman) NOT GOD. He told women to protect their honour by covering their modesty from men's prying eyes, hence why so many woman cover themselves. I for one can never understand why a man can't respect a woman without a veil by turning his head the other way. Would this not be a true test of a man ?
on 7 March 2006
This book is very interesting and unbelievable that things like this can happen in a muslim country. How can religious men pass these two young girls as being wifes to those Yemen men without them saying 'they do' three times and how such comunities allow people to get away with this.
This book is gripping and encourages the reader to read on and on until the there is a happy ending. There is still no happy ending until Nadia is freed from the Yemen with her children.
on 21 March 2003
I remember the frist time i read This book, From the first page i new this book was more then just a "bed time read", my life has never been the same, This book has made me look at every thing i have around me and i thank my universe every single day.
This book has touched me,and im sssooo thankfull.
on 4 May 2005
Zana muhsens book 'Sold' is one fo the most gripping books i have ever read. She describes in great detail how baron, rough, isolated, violent and totally inhospitable her new world is, leaving this image of a small, fightened, but determined girl struggling to survive to find a way home.
I am of a similar age to Zana and my first child is only a year or so younger that Marcus, her first son she so sadly had to leave behind. I have been very lucky being able to see my child grow and know they are safe, which in europe we take for granted.
This is a truly inspiring story and i hope the ending is a happy one for Nadia
on 7 June 2002
I read this story in a day and i cant get it out of my head. I was both sad and angry at the way Zana and Nadia were (and still are) treated. How can people be so cruel? I wish there was something i could do to help, does any one know if Nadia ever escaped?
If you enjoyed this story i highly recommened "Desert Flower" By Waris Darie, its a true story of a woman escaping an arranged marrage and enduring the horror of female circumcision, however this story has a happy ending.
on 16 August 2001
I read this book in one day. Its the sort you never want to put down. It was an eye opener into what happens in this awful world we live in and how cruel people can be. Its such a shame that Nadia isnt a strong person like Zana. If you look at the picture of Nadia her eyes tell it all. This book is a must read and i would recommend it
on 21 September 2008
The most tragic, haunting book ive ever read. Completed it in a day. Reached into my soul and almost tore it out. This womans story is incredible. Her fight for survival and for life.
How there are still people in the world who stoop to such depravity is beyone me.
For a truly emotional tale, it does not get any better than this.
on 22 February 2001
I read the book 'Sold' by Zana Muhsen in 3 days as i could not put the book down. After reading this book i realised how cruel some people can be in the world we live in. Although i was aware to a certain extent that there was such cases in the world, i wasn't sure how cruel they actually were. I am 17 years old and also a muslim. After reading the book, i now see the image of Nadia Muhsen when i look at anything, and i keep praying for her, believing that hopefully she will be rescued soon. As for people such as Nadia and Zana Muhsen's father, i would like people like that given great punishment. A great book and should be read without doubt, however very sad.
on 4 October 2000
This was definately a 'could not put down' book and I was eager to read A PROMISE TO NADIA when I found out that it had been published. The frustration that I was feeling knowing that I live in a country that couldn't, or are not doing anything to help to bring Nadia and her children home is unbelievable to me. I also found at one point in the book that I was becoming increasingly frustrated with the girls' mother. How could she have let them go in the first place after already losing her first two children to the Yemenis'. Therefore I am now about to order WITHOUT MERCY to read a mothers' account.