Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 June 2001
I first read this book way back in 1977 when I was just seventeen years old. I've read it many times since and recently again when I just was getting over an illness. It's a simple, lightweight and predictable love story but one of my favourites and I'd urge anyone who wanted to escape for few hours to read this book and remember that true love will always find a way. It is very readable and my copy of this book is now very 'delicate' but I'll read it again and again and remember the effect it had on me when I first read it at such a young age. I have all of DS books - all read more than once - not all my favourites but some have become almost friends. The Promise was the first DS book I read and lead me to all her others.
Great story from Danielle Steel. This is one of the first novels I'd read of hers a few years back.

I've read this book more then once,( come to think of it I've read all her books more then once as I think she's a great author).

An easy read, it's a compulsive story, so be warned. It's like all her book, once you start reading it you can't put it down.

I don't want to tell you too much about the story as it will spoil it for you, and to me that wouldn't be fair.

A lovely and emotional novel by the great Danielle Steel.

A must for all fans and for people who have never read any of her books. Keep up the great work Danielle Steel. :-)
on 18 November 2010
The Promise is my favourite of all the Danielle Steel novels (and I've got them all). I love some and I'm not so keen on others but every time I read this one I'm moved. If anyone is thinking of trying Danielle Steel I would seriously recommend this one... but not without a supply of tissues at hand...
on 19 September 2004
This was the first book that I read of Danielle Steel's and it will always be my favourite one, I would love to see it on video or dvd, she is a first rate author. The Promise is about Michael and Nancy who are forced apart by his mother and a terrible accident well worth reading.
on 2 May 2013
you have to read this if you like a feel good story of love conquering everything in its way

and what a holiday book

enjoy

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on 1 September 2014
First read this years ago and saw the film of it, still I enjoyed reading it again and shed tears at the end of it. Great story by a great writer.
on 31 July 2008
Michael, who is heir to a business empire, is in love with Nancy who is a beautiful orphan. They plan to be married, until a car crash changes their lives. Michael is not seriously hurt but Nancy's face is distroyed. Without Michael's knowledge, his mother, who does not want their relationship to continue, offers Nancy a new life.

Ive read quite a few of DS's books this one is one of her best I loved it... if you only read one of her books make it this one!
on 5 October 2010
I was totally engrossed in this book. If you are a romantic then you will surely love this. I call my hubby 'Michael' and he calls me 'Nancy' they have become our nicknames taken from the characters (lol). There are lot of twists, moments which will well up some tears, well worth the read. It will make you renew your promises, or make some new ones. Love does make the world go round, or at least book's like this make the journey worthwhile. Enjoy!
on 3 May 2014
I have purchased the promise book in used condition, in the description it stated that the condition was VERY GOOD, however on receiving the book this morning, it does not match the description, im my opinion it should have said poor condition, not happy at all :(
on 19 April 2012
I enjoy reading Danielle Steel books and purchased this one second hand which was in excellent condition. It was a great story, one you couldn't put the book down. Would definitely recommend it, worth a reading.