5.0 out of 5 stars Page turner
Have read all of ten authors books and this one was just as good. I can understand that some individuals on the political right may get a little aggrieved at the authors portrayal of some of the characters in the book, however leaving all political nonsense aside this is a great thriller and ensures that I will eagerly await the next book from the author
Published 22 months ago by James More

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed
Published 21 months ago by Suzie

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Governor's Wife (Hardcover)
I loved Mark Gimenez's early books, rounded and likeable characters and clever plots. I so looked forward to The Governor's Wife, but what a disappointment. Most of the characters are deliberately unlikeable, the rest are one dimensional. The plot is thin and is basically simply a device on which to hang a rant on the state of American politics in general, politics in Texas in particular and especially as they relate to the problem of illegal Mexican immigration. I enjoy learning new things via the medium of a novel, but facts have to be cleverly entwined with a strong plot and be relevant to rounded characters in order to work. This book is simply a rambling lecture interspaced with odd pieces of action. I found myself skipping pages, then whole chunks as boredom set in and finally decided that I was wasting my time. Even if the plot picked up I didn't care about the characters nor what happened to them.
I will think very hard and read a lot of reviews before I risk another offering from Mr Gimenez. What a shame from what promised to be a great talent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 6 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Governor's Wife (Hardcover)
I've read some of his previous books and liked them. This is a poor effort though. Describing the characters one-dimensional would be an insult to real one-dimensional characters.

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Governor's Wife (Hardcover)
Having read all Mark Giminez previous books I had high expectation of this latest offering. It turned out to be a huge disappointment with a muddled plot (if there was one) and totally boring. I persevered through three quarters of the book but finally had to bin it. Don't know and don't care how it ended. This is definately my last Mark Giminez book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointment from a huge fan, 17 Feb 2013
Includes spoilers

Having read all of Gimenez's previous books i was looking forward to his new book, once I read the blurb i knew this was a departure from his usual subject material. As such i left it a couple months before i bought the book, i only wish i hadn't bothered. This is without doubt one of the worst books i have read, characters with baffling motivations who seem oblivious to reason or realistic personalities, each character is almost a caricature of a stereotype. Plot threads are hastily wrapped up with no real thought as if the author forgot about them and then thought oh......lets just have the lion eat him (actually happened) The last half of the book i read just to finish, i had no desire to continue but am glad i did just to see how comparatively good the first half was, the second assassination attempt made me think Bode Bonner might just have been 'bulletproofed by god' as i find it hard to believe that a high calibre sniper bullet wouldn't have just gone through Mandys head and straight into Bode's. All in all that was nothing compared to the ramboesque ending which had everything including characters somehow know that Bode was there without any indication, two characters appearing out of nowhere to save the lead (Ranger Roy being the worst at least Eddie was in the country)and an ending which included a gut stabbing which still allowed Bode to kill the bad guy, carry another man to a car! drive said car in a preposterous getaway swim run and then get shot and still survive. Yet the DR dies, it seems just because it was easier than write a good ending with actual closure. The book ends with a lead in (threat) of a sequel......please don't.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly disappointed., 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Governor's Wife (Paperback)
The Colour of Law and The Abduction are two of my fav crime books of the past 10 years. I "read" this book last night and it is going straight to the charity shop today in the hope that someone may enjoy it.
I say "read" because I ended up turning the pages looking for the story and failing.
I paid for a thrilling crime book and instead was subjected to page after page after page of a lecture on the socio-economics of Mexican migrants trapped in the no mans land between Mexico and Texas.
I wanted to empathise and sympathise with the main characters and want to follow their story. Nope. Cartoon stereotype actors brought onto the page to demonstrate the migrant problem.
If the objective was to make the reader despise the main characters then Mark Gimenez has succeeded and the ending was so unbelievably ridiculous I felt like throwing the book at the wall.
If I wanted a documentary I would have bought a non fiction book on the no doubt terrible plight of these people.
Not for me

1.0 out of 5 stars If I wanted a history book, I'd buy a history book, 27 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Governor's Wife (Hardcover)
I have read each of Gimenez's previous books and enjoyed them - not quite Grisham but decent legal thrillers.
This is a radical departure, and not a rewarding one. I'm now 25% into the book on the Kindle and understand much more about Texan and U.S. politics, and about the dreadful situation in Mexico and Laredo. Unfortunately, that's not what I was looking for - I was looking for a thriller.
Most of the information is presented as lectures from one tedious character to another and, despite it taking 1/4 of the book to get these points across, you could have skimmed a couple of Wikipedia entries and got the same information for free, and in five minutes.

I'm not sure what Gimenez's motivation is for taking on the role of lecturer on the failings of U.S. politics and drug policy. Maybe he wants to be seeing as a serious commentator? Maybe he's just p****d off with U.S. politics?
Whatever, it makes for turgid reading and, having got to 25% on the Kindle I've little interest in continuing.

I pre-ordered this Gimenez novel - next time I'll wait for the reviews and hope that he's returned to his legal-thriller best.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just ranting, really, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Governor's Wife (Paperback)
At 541 pages, this book is about 400 pages too long.

It's a political rant with a bare bones plot attached.

I find it unbelievable that anyone could claim it's well written or well plotted. In parts, and particularly at the end, it is ludicrously melodramatic and not remotely credible.

I'd like my money back, Mr Gimenez, and the six or so hours of my life you took under false pretences.

Next time you want to caricature the Republican Party and present Democrats as heroes, at least put a warning sticker on the cover. I live in the UK, so don't support either party.

But such a blatant political polemic should not be sold as a novel. It's simply unfair on your readers.

As for Iain Hunt, who you thank for his "brilliant editing" - well, there weren't many jokes in the book, but that was definitely the best.

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 star is too much, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Governor's Wife (Paperback)
Totally disappointed by this book . It does well into the first 30-40 pages but then chaos descends . It's supposedly a crime thriller which when you start reading turns into a political/crime thriller . Unfortunately the author makes a total mess of it . If he wants to go into this genre , I would suggest that he read first the excellent Millenium trilogy by Stieg Larsson at least a dozen times and then try again . This is the first book I have read by the author but I will probably try some of his other books which have better reviews .
Verdict : Fails to deliver - spectacularly

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear . . ., 5 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Governor's Wife (Hardcover)
Mark Giminez became one of my "must have" authors after reading (and buying) all his previous books. I pre-ordered "The Governor's Wife" and looked forward to receiving and reading it, expecting a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I found it quite hard to get into as at first it reads more like a history and political text about the relationships between the USA / Texas / Mexico than a novel. The story did get better, but I found it hard to care much about any of the principal charactors, who were all pretty unsympathetic types. I do hope that this is not the first of a two-parter, which it could be, as I certainly won't be bothered to read a sequel. Mark Giminez is a fine writer and I hope very much he will return to the themes in his previous books. I rate this book a surprising miss.

1.0 out of 5 stars An insult to your intelligence, 6 April 2013
This review is from: The Governor's Wife (Paperback)
I enjoyed Gimenez's previous books but this one is an insult to anyone's intelligence. It is so horribly bad that I suspect that it is an early and so far unpublished effort that has been dusted off to cash in on the coat tails of The Colour of Law and The Accused.
If the book does accidentally fall into your hands, don't waste your time reading it but do have a look at the quotations from reviews printed on the inside front cover - of the five , four have been lifted from reviews of earlier books. Disgraceful!

The Governor's Wife
The Governor's Wife by Mark Gimenez (Paperback - 17 Jan 2013)