5.0 out of 5 stars What a life
I literally could not put this book down from the moment I picked it up at 6pm until I finished reading it at 1am.

From the opening page right up until the acknowledgments I was engrossed, entertained and enlightened.

Published on 2 Oct. 2009 by S. Chipchase

3.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely hilarious read
I Am Ozzy is a hilarious autobiography by Ozzy Osbourne, former lead singer of Black Sabbath. It's filled with humourous anecdotes from his life before and after the band and is a more than enjoyable read.

Published on 12 Nov. 2011 by Rachel S

5.0 out of 5 stars What a life, 2 Oct. 2009
S. Chipchase - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Ozzy (Hardcover)

I've laughed out loud, i've smiled to myself, i've looked at the page in open mouthed shock and have gone through such a rollercoaster of emotions during the seven hours of reading its amazing.

Very rarely in my experience does a book take you on such a journey as this one does. High, lows, ups, downs it's all here told in brutal unflinching honesty.

What more could anyone want from a book?

I for one could ask for nothing more

5.0 out of 5 stars A long time coming but its worth the wait, 2 Oct. 2009
Brian V. Burford (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Ozzy (Hardcover)
When BBC Radio Five Live first began Sybil Roscoe had Ozzy Osbourne on her programme as a guest. God knows how many years ago that was, but Ozzy said then that he was going to bring out an autobiography and call it John. Well it's here now, at last, and it's worth the wait.

I first encountered Ozzy during my early days of rock education through the pages of Kerrang! I'd heard of Ozzy and Black Sabbath, but wasn't too familiar with Ozzy the solo star. He had the cover and was dressed as a werewolf. Inside all the pictures was of him as a werewolf and I began to wonder if this man actually looked like a werewolf! Of course, I soon realised it was a video for Bark At the Moon. Subsequently I bought that album and saw him on tour and have been a fan ever since.

What I always liked about Ozzy is that he has never forgotten his roots. He's not arrogant and never comes across as big-headed. This comes over in his book which is written just the way you know and love Ozzy to be. It has his colourful delivery, wonderful descriptions of his adventures; all the famous ones and some you never heard of - the only gripe is the cover, which is a bit bland.

I Am Ozzy will have you laughing at his outrageous adventures, but also have you cringing too. There is sadness at the death of Randy Rhoads and how the Nazis nearly killed him - you'll have to read it to work that one out - and the controversial mishaps that he's had will also have you smiling.

There isn't much more to say except that if you're an Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath fan this book is a must buy. But even if you're not, you're still going to enjoy it because it's the story of a guy from Aston, Birmingham, who made it big and as he has said many times before, is the luckiest guy in the world. The difference is that he knows it and had made the best of his talents and abilities.

3.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely hilarious read, 12 Nov. 2011
This review is from: I Am Ozzy (Hardcover)

I've read a few musician's autobiographies, and I can honestly say that none of them have ever made me laugh like this one did. I was laughing aloud at something on almost every page and I loved Ozzy's British humour. There were some great stories about his time in the band and although the book was filled with humour, Ozzy also showed a sensitivity when it came to writing about the hard things, like death and drug addiction.

Although I loved the book and the stories in it, I couldn't help get the feeling that maybe there was some extra spice being added to some of the anecdotes. I mean, yeah, he was a crazy rocker, but after all these years and all these drugs, can he really remember as much as he claims to? Maybe so, but for me it didn't quite feel right, so I was unable to fully `click' with the book. It's a real shame, because I really did enjoy Ozzy's easy writing style.

I Am Ozzy was a fun read, but overall something just didn't come together for me. If you're looking for a musician's autobiography that has plenty of hilarity go for this one, but just don't expect too much depth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ozzy...over the top.....again., 29 Jun. 2010
Mr. S. P. Thompson "SteveT" (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Ozzy (Paperback)
Oh yeah...OK Ozzy, I'll believe you even if I have heard half of the anecdotes in here before. Who cares...somehow Ozzy has become a national treasure and lets face it they don't do rock stars like him anymore, just a bunch of wimps who couldn't bite the top off a Big Mac, let alone a live bat. (Or a rubber one come to that!!) Great book, good for a laugh and .....i'd have bought it anyway because he had the decency to reply to my get well letter when he was 'quad-biked'.
Seriously....it IS a good and humourous read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Two sides to the Ozzman story, 27 Jun. 2012
This review is from: I Am Ozzy (Paperback)
I have mixed feelings about this autobiography. With a subject such as Ozzy Osbourne, the undeniable madman of rock 'n' roll, the story is inevitably going to be littered with booze-filled escapades and other insane anecdotes. This can be both a plus and a negative; the various narcotics-fuelled stories are entertaining for sure, but whether it really is what truly happened is another story.

The book is divided into two parts, part one covering Ozzy's earlier years up until his exit from Black Sabbath, and part two concentrating on his solo career. Unsurprisingly, the emphasis in this biography is clearly on substance abuse, as Ozzy's lifelong battles with drugs and alcohol are well known by everyone. Still, after reading the book, the amounts of drugs and booze he had consumed throughout the years turned out to be beyond belief. Furthermore, all the legendary incidents with bats, doves, historical monuments and wives are documented here, of course.

In literary terms, Ozzy is what you'd call an unreliable narrator. From a narrational point of view, the style is extremely entertaining and the book is very well written, thanks largely to the co-writer, Chris Ayres, without whom the dyslexic Ozzman would never have been able to write this. However, whether Ozzy really remembers all that is being told here, having been drugged out of his mind for all those years, is another matter. As a consequence, the truthfulness of many of the incidents is highly debatable. Whether that really matters is up for you to decide.

However, it soon becomes clear that with a book such as this, the music itself is secondary, even to Ozzy himself. Considering that the Ozzman is really more of a rock star than a musician (or even a singer, for that matter), this really shouldn't come off as a surprise. Having said that, it is still rather disappointing that most of the albums in his vast discography are only briefly mentioned by name, while some are even left unmentioned. The same applies to his bandmates; for example, Randy Castillo, Ozzy's drummer on five albums and who passed away in 2002, is not even mentioned by name, which is an unforgivable omission.

What this book really is, is the story of Ozzy and Sharon; as soon as Ozzy gets the boot from Sabbath, it's mostly "Sharon this" and "Sharon that" from there on. Nowhere does this become more apparent than in the picture supplements, as there are more pictures of Sharon than any of Ozzy's bandmates, past or present (Black Sabbath included). In fact, the only line-up of Ozzy's solo career that is pictured is the "Diary Of A Madman" tour line-up. No pictures of Jake E. Lee or Randy Castillo, not even Zakk Wylde. On the other hand, considering that the Osbourne clan have burned so many bridges with their past collaborators, this is actually less than surprising, but disappointing nonetheless. Furthermore, Ozzy's less than glorious exit from Black Sabbath is discussed all-too briefly, and the effects the split had on him are seriously downplayed. Also, the descriptions of Ozzy's endless feuds with the former members of his own band, Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake, are heavily biased and one-sided.

To sum it all up, Ozzy's autobiography is entertaining and funny, but not exactly informative. If it's narcotics-fuelled shenanigans that you want to read about, then this book is a real treat. However, if you're more interested in the music itself, you can do a lot better, with a number of titles to choose from; try Tony Iommi's "Iron Man" or "Doom Let Loose" by Martin Popoff instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely entertaining, 24 Dec. 2010
This review is from: I Am Ozzy (Paperback)
First and foremost, regardless of your opinion of Ozzy Osbourne, this book is an extremely good read. Unlike other biographies I've read I wasn't bored with technicalities and contrived fillers. Ozzy Osbourne has definitely had a very full life and all of the various ups and downs, combined with the friendly and unpretentious writing style make this a roller coaster of a read.

The book is not only fun, I also found it to be interesting and thought provoking. I think that this comes down to Ozzy's outlook on the various aspects of life, which essentially boils down to putting hedonistic enjoyment and genuine relationships above the likes of money, education and social status. Of course, this outlook comes with its own set of flaws and I found myself quite disgusted at times (he would be idiotically cruel), and sad at other times (some of his relationships) and contemptuous at others (his childlike dependence on others).

When reading the book I felt it to be honest and self-critical. However, with hindsight and some supplementary reading (I've never really been a fan of Ozzy per se, rather just had a taste for Black Sabbath's music) I found that some essentials have left out (the midget was stage named after Ronnie Dio for example). So I think the narrative has been biased to make Ozzy come out the best from all his many feuds but is garnished with enough self criticism to make the whole thing believable. Still, it's his book in the end and a degree of `artistic licence' doesn't really warrant the loss of more than one star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 12 Dec. 2009
This review is from: I Am Ozzy (Hardcover)
I really loved this book, its one of those books that you just can't put down.

Its packed with laughs, sadness, heartbreak and all the ups & downs that you would probably expect from Ozzy but when all is said & done you come to understand the real Ozzy and how much of a caring person he is.

For many years Ozzy's life was controlled by drink & drugs which led him to lose his first wife & kids and almost cost him the life of his second wife Sharon, not to mention his own on numerous occasions, how on earth the man is still alive is a miracle..!!

I strongly recommend this book, its a fantastic read, one of the best autobiographys I have read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truth IS sometimes stranger than fiction..., 22 April 2011
This review is from: I Am Ozzy (Paperback)
Ozzy Osbourne is legend! This was a surprisingly absorbing book, and Ozzy's chequered life, colourful antics and rise to fame made for a fascinating and sometimes (predictably) shocking read.
Ozzy tells his life story here with great depth, honesty and wit - despite the fact he himself admits that some memories are a little more hazy than others. Great sprinkling of photos too from throughout his life.

I'm a Black Sabbath fan anyway, but it appears these days Ozzy's more (in)famous for the 'reality' TV show The Osbournes - I even watched an episode of that for the first time after reading this.

He's definitely a one-off - a true rock'n'roller whose theatrical antics are all documented here with grit and precision - just like a living Spinal Tap. I'm just amazed he's still alive after his decades of drug and alcohol abuse recorded here - as he freely admits too.
I wasn't sure if I really wanted to read about his life or not - but, once I picked this book up, it was very hard to put down! I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone - from those with a passing interest or curiosity about Ozzy, right up to diehard Black Sabbath fans.

I've really enjoyed my fortnight in his company - thanks Ozzy, well done for entertaining me, cleaning up your act and staying alive... keep on rockin' Prince of Darkness!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait!, 28 April 2010
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I Am Ozzy (Hardcover)
We have all waited a long time for Ozzy Osbourne to write his memoirs and when 'I Am Ozzy' hit the shelves and I picked up a copy on the day of it's release - I was not disappointed.

Due to Ozzy's dyslexia, the autography was ghost-written by Chris Ayres, but you can still hear Mr. Osbourne's voice booming out at you on every page, it's written how he would say it.

'I Am Ozzy' is a great read from start to finish, but you can't help but wonder how the man is still alive to tell the tale, although he has narrowly escaped death on a number of occasions. Packed with hilarious stories, both before and after his time with Black Sabbath, the book is as both inspirational (Ozzy shows a more tender side as he candidly writes about his drug addition and near death experiences), as it is hilarious. If you are looking for a lot of emphasis on this music however, you might be a little disappointed. There are plenty of tasty anecdotes about his work and songs, but this is very much a book mostly about the great man's personal life.

'I'm A Ozzy' should appeal to most of the Prince of Darkness's legions of fans. It's just as you would expect from the down-to-earth family fan and reformed hellraiser, outrageous, entertaining and a roller-coaster from start to finish. He seems very genuine and those with an interest in the rock and roll world of the '70s and '80s will find it particularly satisfying. The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Lots of rare pictures are inserted.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ozzy is a brilliant read, 26 Mar. 2010
Mr. M. D. Curzon "cheshirewizard" (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Ozzy (Hardcover)
The book is one of the best biographies I have read for along time as Ozzy is such a down to earth man who has a love for music and his family. I would recommend it to anyone who loves music but not easily offended by his colourful language. I enjoyed mostly all the wild things he has done in the past and all the practical jokes he played on others and had done to himself.

I Am Ozzy
I Am Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne (Paperback - 13 May 2010)