Format: Paperback|Change

I had never read a book by Kate Furnivall before, and after finishing this, it definitely won't be my last...I'm already very excited about reading more of her novels.

I loved this book, I'd even say that it is one of my favourite books of this year, and such a find! I can't believe that I have not discovered this wonderful author before now, and after this I will be investigating her other books. With shadows On The Nile, I was hooked from the first page, it is one of those books where I was drawn in very quickly and sucked into the story, and once I'd started I didn't want to stop reading. In fact, I actually read the entire novel in one sitting because I was so engrossed in the plot line and what was happening!

The characters were very-well written. I warmed to the main character, Jessica straight away, she was easy to like and I particularly admired her strength, courage and determination as she set out on her search to find out the truth about her brother.

The setting of Egypt was the perfect choice I feel. I loved the description of the setting, I could picture every scene clearly in my mind and it felt as though I was there with Jessica following her on her journey. I could see the sights in my mind, feel the atmosphere and smell the scents of Egypt around me. I think Egypt also helped to give a sense of mystery and the unknown to the story, it definitely heightened my interest in the novel and made me keen to read on to see what would be uncovered there.

I don't want to say anything about the plot line because I thoroughly enjoyed going into the story not knowing too much and letting it all unravel at the right moments, but what I will say is that this is a gripping book! I was constantly guessing and re-guessing about what I thought had happened, and I must say I didn't guess it. I was completely absorbed by this beautiful novel from start to finish and I am already looking forward to reading it over again.

Shadows On The Nile is full of mystery, intrigue, history, suspense and romance too. It is a novel that will take you in from the first few words and I'm sure many readers out there will enjoy losing themselves in this stunning novel. I would HIGHLY recommend this.
on 10 February 2013
Great story with lots of gripping action and absorbing characters. The heroine, Jessie, is a resourceful young woman, driven by her determination never to lose a brother again, so that she tracks him through danger across Egypt following the cryptic clues he leaves behind, with surprising results. The Egyptian context is well researched and adds real glamour and interest. The character of Georgie, in particular, is beautifully developed, both convincing and moving in his growing relationship with his brother. This is a well written and absorbing book that I very much enjoyed and thoroughly recommend.
on 9 February 2013
I am pleased to see that once again Kate Furnivall has been nominated for a Romantic Novelist's Association award. 'The White Pearl' was an excellent read and 'Shadows on the Nile' is equally as good. The hot desert sun and the sounds and smells of Egypt are the perfect antidote to the miserable English winter. As usual, this book has a fast moving and cleverly woven plot. Fascism and eugenics are not subjects you would expect to find in your average historical romance but this is far from average. The historical context is spot on and there is even an element of detective work to keep the reader guessing. My favourite part of the book was the development of the relationship between the two brothers. Furnivall has written some really touching scenes. I most highly recommend this novel, so get reading!
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 27 January 2014
I admit freely to being drawn to this book purely because it was set, at least partly in Egypt. The image on my copy of the book has a felucca sailing past the pyramids on the Nile; and any book cover like that makes my book-reading instincts perk up immediately.

But, having read the book I found myself vaguely disappointed. The three main characters of Jessie, Tim and Georgie were ‘to a t’ all rather annoying. Georgie’s apparent autism makes his character opaque, unknowable and it is beyond the reader really to understand his motivation or instincts, however well-meaning the author’s attempts to do so in the narratives offered by Georgie. Tim and Jessie had such a strange relationship I found it hard to feel that any sort of ‘reality’ lay behind it, and the character of Jessie herself I found not very realistic in the 1930s setting.

The environment of the book, both England and Egypt was well written, and I found it very visually appealing and correct for its time and place. But the characters really never drew me into their story; by the end I just didn’t care what happened to any of them, or why. A pity; there was a skeleton of a great story in here, but it never really bore fruit. I think this one will be going to the charity shop.
on 21 June 2013
Having never read any of Kate Furnivall's books before I was unsure what to expect when I received a copy of Shadows on the Nile out of the blue.

We first meet Jessie at age 7 shortly before her brother Georgie, who was a troubled child, is sent away by her parents and replaced by a new brother Tim. Fast forward 20 years and Jessie and Tim are now as close as any brother and sister could be but she's never forgotten Georgie and often wonders where he is.

When Tim disappears suddenly Jessie senses that he's in trouble and sets out to look for him following the little clues, in the form of snippets from Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, that eventually takes her to Egypt. Along the way she gathers a travel companion in the form of Montague Chamford, Monty, who was one of the last people to see Tim, and we also discover that Tim has found out where Georgie is and has been visiting him.

It's during these interactions between Tim and Georgie that we are led to assume that Georgie has some form of autism, which I'm guessing wouldn't have been a recognised condition back in the 1930s, but it's still hard to believe that parents would send their children away just because they were different and couldn't function in normal social situations.

The story had a little bit of everything in it, mystery and intrigue as to where Tim has disappeared to and why, plenty of drama as Jessie and Monty try to follow Tim's clues, and of course the obligatory romance. But for me the build up was a little too dragged out as it took almost 200 pages for Jessie and Monty to reach Egypt!
on 11 August 2013
Having recently read and thoroughly enjoyed The White Pearl as our Book Group choice, I was immediately drawn to Kate Furnivall's latest Shadows on the Nile. Although not as absorbing as The White Pearl, it was a cracking read which kept the pages turning to the very end. Once again the descriptions of a different country and culture, this time Egypt, were excellent and really brought the setting to life - you could imagine yourself lost in the back streets of Cairo. The historical perspective and rise of Oswald Moseley also offered an interesting perspective on the period. By far the most interesting character was Georgie, severely autistic and institutionalised by his parents at an early age. Having some experience of autism I could understand and sympathise with Georgie's emotions and outbursts and even have some sympathy for his parents and their total inability to understand and cope with his condition.
Where the book "fell down" was with regard to a few improbable events e.g. the abduction of Georgie and the introduction of a main character who was not what she appeared. The latter technique was used in The White Pearl also and, although integral to the plot, jarred somewhat with the authenticity of the rest of the novel. A few things were also left unexplained at the end and I think 3.5 stars would be a better representation but I did thoroughly enjoy it so rounded up to 4.
on 12 February 2014
This is a slight change of direction from Kate Furnivall’s previous work. Whereas the Concubine series were largely historical romances, this is a detective thriller set in 1930s Britain and Egypt. The interwoven narratives of Jessie, Tim and Georgie help to give depth to the characters and the plot is revealed at a steady, good pace. The way that Furnivall deals with Georgie’s autism is particularly impressive. It was a bit of a gamble for Furnivall to change direction and genre like this, but or this reader, it paid off.
on 17 December 2013
I loved all Kate Furnivall books to date and was really looking forward to this one. It is poorly written in my opinion and confusing to say the least. It was almost as if she had thought of several story lines and had tried to bring them together in one book - and it really did not work. I battled on to the end to see what it was all about but it is so convoluted and unrealistic that my patience was spread very thinly indeed. I look forward to a far far FAR better novel next time round!
on 25 February 2014
I've read all Kate Furnival's books before but this was dire. Couldn't get into it, it jumped from here there and everywhere. It was confusing and disjointed. I struggled to finish it because I thought it might get better but the ending was so obvious that it spoilt the rest.
on 24 March 2013
Has a little of everything romance, mystery, history and intrigue. An enjoyable read st between the wars in England and Egypt. This was what attracted me to the story. could have had more depth but was an easy read.